IGNORED

Audio going out on Lynx model 1?

Andromeda Stardust

Okay having some sound issues with my newly aquired Lynx. When I first hooked it up, it was really loud; now sound appears to be fading out. Let me explain.

At very low levels, the sound is audible, then as I turn the volume up, the sound cuts off. The problem appears to be sporadic, but occuring more frequently over recent weeks. The exact level that the volume cuts off at seems to fluctuate.

Especially the audio will be strong when I first start playing, then fizzle out at some point. Readjusting the volume control to a lower level will allow me to hear the sound again, but so quiet I can barely hear. I can confirm the issue affects both the speaker and the headphone jack.

I can hear at very low levels, then it goes out as I turn up the volume. It appears to be sporadic. I have tried spraying contact cleaner into the volume pot and the cart slot (and making sure to clean my carts with Q-tips and alcohol) to no avail.

This is the same Lynx that had the heavy corrosion issue a couple months ago, which I cleaned out with distilled vinegar. Otherwise, it runs great on batteries or AC adaptor.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Edited by stardust4ever

2 possible causes:

dirty variable resistor

failing caps

dirty variable resistor is usually easy to clean if you have the right stuff to wash the contact with. Caps OTOH will require soldering skill and patience. You can order replacement caps kit from console5 to start with. If you don't know how to do it or don't have the experience, you can post request in WTB section for repair service.

• 1 month later...