IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback 2

atarifan88

Does anyone on here know either way if there has been confirmation of AT Games producing another version of the Intellivision Flashback with more games? A few games I wish would be put on if we do get another version:

Bump 'n' Jump
BurgerTime
Commando
Swords & Serpents
Tower of Doom (bugs fixed)
I remember hearing Keith Robinson say if the first version sells well then there's a good chance for a second version with more games. Maybe someone from the Intellivisionaries could answer this question?

It would be awesome, indeed! From what's been said in the past, the big challenge with many titles is licensing - so all the arcade ports and Activision-owned elements, along w/ Tron titles, will influence what's put on it.

Presuming the emulator's issues are fixed, then including some 'repeat' titles on the second version would make total sense.

Of course, it would also be exciting to see some of the newer titles on it as well. :D

Based on what's been said in interviews on the Intellivisionaries Podcast, I think Keith Robinson mentioned that the agreement they had has since expired. It sounded like the last time they talked, the bid vs. the ask of the license was pretty far apart.

Hopefully, a new deal can be struck! There are a lot of great titles.

Does anyone on here know either way if there has been confirmation of AT Games producing another version of the Intellivision Flashback with more games?

There has definitely not been confirmation of it happening. You'd see a very long "wishlist" thread here as soon as that happens :)

My hunch is that we're not going to see another. I don't think it sold quite as well as they had wished. But you never know. I'm actually a bit surprised that we haven't heard *anything* about *any* more Flashbacks (have we?), as they've been coming out every 2-3 years and generally we've had a fair bit of advance hinting in the past. So maybe there's a happy surprise just around the corner.

There has definitely not been confirmation of it happening. You'd see a very long "wishlist" thread here as soon as that happens :)

My hunch is that we're not going to see another. I don't think it sold quite as well as they had wished. But you never know. I'm actually a bit surprised that we haven't heard *anything* about *any* more Flashbacks (have we?), as they've been coming out every 2-3 years and generally we've had a fair bit of advance hinting in the past. So maybe there's a happy surprise just around the corner.

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy:

1. Make new product;
  2. Fail to invest enough in it to add the very features that would make it a great product that people would love;
  3. Explain that you didn't invest enough because you weren't sure there was a large demand;
  4. Feel reassured when the good-but-not-great product does not invite a large demand.
  5. Focus on a Kickstarter for a product nobody seems to want
  6. ???
  7. ...Profit?

I don't understand the Madden-izing of these Flashback consoles, when the content of the system(games released 30+ years ago) are static. One flashback gets ABCE, while the next version gets ABCD. I don't want a stack of Flashbacks in my entertainment center just so I can get a decent spread of games.

• Like 2

I don't understand the Madden-izing of these Flashback consoles, when the content of the system(games released 30+ years ago) are static. One flashback gets ABCE, while the next version gets ABCD. I don't want a stack of Flashbacks in my entertainment center just so I can get a decent spread of games.

Madden-izing... LOL!

• Like 1

Nothing yet from my sources. I don't think it's off the table completely though. It really comes down to having enough games to make it worthwhile (for AT Games & Intellivision Productions). They'd need to get the ones that couldn't be licensed for the first Flashback - Activision, Imagic, Data East, Interphase - with some homebrews, and maybe some new titles as well.

Nothing yet from my sources. I don't think it's off the table completely though. It really comes down to having enough games to make it worthwhile (for AT Games & Intellivision Productions). They'd need to get the ones that couldn't be licensed for the first Flashback - Activision, Imagic, Data East, Interphase - with some homebrews, and maybe some new titles as well.

For what it's worth, while AtGames was shopping around successors to retail buyers for all of their TV games at the beginning of the year, I've gotten no indication of anything moving forward since. To my knowledge (and the limited work I've been doing with them this year), it's all been a focus on their digital and tablet initiatives. Since it's late August now, it's almost certainly too late for anything this year other than perhaps the usual incremental software update to perhaps the Atari Flashback and Sega Genesis stuff (and again, I've gotten no word on even that). By this time last year, they were already into production of their new releases.

$

I don't disagree with you, but putting every feature in a given item is just about never done. Why sell one when you can sell two? The reality is that most people shell out the money for incremental improvements/changes. Like you said, just look at Madden.

Just today, I was in Toys R Us and saw Inty and Coleco Flashbacks for $44.99/each. Not in a clearance section. I am not sure if that means they didn't sell well, or they did (and are). It's not exactly "gift season" in the USA at the moment...

I'd like to be wrong, but I think there will be no Flashback 2. I think Intellivision Productions made a minimal effort to maximize investment in the IP they already owned, and that's that. With the level they already put in, they can probably rake in a working person's salary per year and do nothing else with the consoles that are out there for the next n years. Put some money into trying new things, put the rest into "real life".

One thing I caught in a recent "ask Keith" segment on an Intellivisionaries podcast was when he said something like (paraphrase) "...it's not always what do you want to do with your time, it's what do you want to do with your time left..." The context was around he or other Blue Sky Rangers making new stuff, what I got out if it was Keith Robinson was not necessarily interested in pushing his infrastructure to do more than create a small but steady stream of income.

Not too long ago someone posted a Toys R Us ad for an upcoming Atari Flashback 6 I believe. There was a brief discussion about what version of Space Invaders would be on it.

I'm not at liberty to speak about everything I know when it comes to Intellivision Productions upcoming and future projects... but without giving anything away, I will say that the next thing in the pipeline will surprise a lot of people (in a very good way), and if successful will increase the likelihood of another 'Flashback-type' device down the road.

I will do my best to get more specifics for you guys from Keith the next time I have him on the podcast.

• Like 3

SD card input would go a loooong way in surprising people! :P

Perhaps parsing what Nurmix said too carefully, but your assumption would seem to contradict the 'will increase the likelihood of another 'Flashback-type' device' statement. In that it would be another flashback. Or did you mean that the end result (after the surprise) would lead to a second flashback with an SD card slot?

It'll be fun to speculate.

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 1

I'm not at liberty to speak about everything I know when it comes to Intellivision Productions upcoming and future projects... but without giving anything away, I will say that the next thing in the pipeline will surprise a lot of people (in a very good way), and if successful will increase the likelihood of another 'Flashback-type' device down the road.

I will do my best to get more specifics for you guys from Keith the next time I have him on the podcast.

After reading your post, the first thing that jumped into my head was an Intellivision Flashback with an SD or cartridge slot. That would be fine by me! :)

• Like 1