IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback 2

atarifan88

If all of these things are going to be emulators anyway, what's the point? There are great emulators for PCs and Macs and various handheld machines. If I had the right cable, I could play pretty much any 8 bit game system on a regular TV with any USB joystick I wanted with my GP2X. The flashback 2 was real hardware and was really the only good one I've ever played. The emulation sucks for most of these devices and what's more, I have no idea WHY. A quad core tablet is $44.95 at Walmart (shit screen though) and a 10 year old ARM processor should have NO problem with the emulation, it should be perfect. My GP2X has a magic eyes 940/920 SOC from 2004 or so and it runs Sega Genesis roms at 150mhz (it can go all the way to 240mhz). A $3 chip should be capable of the emulation and these systems are so well documented that I couldn't see a proper emulator that works very well taking more than a month (and that's pushing it) to write from scratch (which isn't even necessary). These products are mostly junk who's only positive attribute is introducing older games to an audience that might not have ever played them, but even that is questionable with the bad emulation.

I don't see the problem with the licenses. These games are ancient and have appeared on endless collection CDs on various consoles. How much could the entirety of the licenses for all the intellivision games possibly cost (or more importantly, what is it worth)? In many cases, the roms wouldn't even still exist without us, the users who painstakingly read all the roms from consumer cartridges many of which had long been lost by the original owner of the game rom. IOW, the community is how they got these roms back in the first place. Many of these games were lost by the owners who had no idea there would one day be a big enough interest in old obsolete games to be able to give the games a monetary value.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If all of these things are going to be emulators anyway, what's the point? There are great emulators for PCs and Macs and various handheld machines. If I had the right cable, I could play pretty much any 8 bit game system on a regular TV with any USB joystick I wanted with my GP2X. The flashback 2 was real hardware and was really the only good one I've ever played. The emulation sucks for most of these devices and what's more, I have no idea WHY. A quad core tablet is $44.95 at Walmart (shit screen though) and a 10 year old ARM processor should have NO problem with the emulation, it should be perfect. My GP2X has a magic eyes 940/920 SOC from 2004 or so and it runs Sega Genesis roms at 150mhz (it can go all the way to 240mhz). A $3 chip should be capable of the emulation and these systems are so well documented that I couldn't see a proper emulator that works very well taking more than a month (and that's pushing it) to write from scratch (which isn't even necessary). These products are mostly junk who's only positive attribute is introducing older games to an audience that might not have ever played them, but even that is questionable with the bad emulation. I don't see the problem with the licenses. These games are ancient and have appeared on endless collection CDs on various consoles. How much could the entirety of the licenses for all the intellivision games possibly cost (or more importantly, what is it worth)? In many cases, the roms wouldn't even still exist without us, the users who painstakingly read all the roms from consumer cartridges many of which had long been lost by the original owner of the game rom. IOW, the community is how they got these roms back in the first place. Many of these games were lost by the owners who had no idea there would one day be a big enough interest in old obsolete games to be able to give the games a monetary value.

Sounds like you won't be buying one.

The original Intellivision Flashback was very cool, replicating an old system without the hassles of owning 1970s technology. It worked on modern TVs, it included 60 games, very faithful controllers, and even had controller overlays. It felt very much like the real thing, but for a cheap price and no configuration hassles, literally just plug and play. That's worth something to me. I'm smart enough to get a controller adapter to use a vintage or Flashback controller with an Intellivision emulator on a PC, but I don't care enough to bother with the setup.

If the second version improved on the first in terms of accuracy and game selection, so much the better, and sign me up. Intellivision games really need the original style controllers. It's nice to be able to support the rights holders of the original intellectual properties.

TRU still has it listed for preorder, coming out the 21st of this month.

I saw a pic on FB someone posted of one he'd picked up that they'd apparently put on the shelves early.

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/electronic-interactive-games/atari-flashback-6-classic-game-console-ar2680-62142276

That links to the Atari Flashback 6, which is the 2015 version of the Atari TV game.

Does anyone on here know either way if there has been confirmation of AT Games producing another version of the Intellivision Flashback with more games? A few games I wish would be put on if we do get another version:

Bump 'n' Jump
BurgerTime
Commando
Swords & Serpents
Tower of Doom (bugs fixed)
I remember hearing Keith Robinson say if the first version sells well then there's a good chance for a second version with more games. Maybe someone from the Intellivisionaries could answer this question?

And to think I posted this almost two years ago and Bump N Jump, BurgerTime, Commando, and a fixed Tower of Doom actually have a chance to make it on the next Intellivision Flashback! Hopefully this keeps moving in the right direction.

You saw it here first in the "Original" Intellivision Flashback 2 Thread! :P :lol:

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1

And to think I posted this almost two years ago and Bump N Jump, BurgerTime, Commando, and a fixed Tower of Doom actually have a chance to make it on the next Intellivision Flashback! Hopefully this keeps moving in the right direction.

You saw it here first in the "Original" Intellivision Flashback 2 Thread! :P :lol:

now its a good time to add whats going to be on the FB3 lol