IGNORED

Need help on dating th age of a very low serial # 800 computer

Sean39

Hi Everyone It been a really long time since I have been on this forum. Anyways as I recall that twards the back of the 800 computers in the Bottom would be ATARI / 451 . The 3 digit code being a date. Like the 45th week in 1981. OK I have an Atari 800 that is very low serial number and it does not do it this way. The computer has the three digit code but also followed by the serial number. It also done in a very strange way. It looks like this 1 80 2443 Now on the label its 180 2443 Now the serial number is 2443. My thing is the computer from the 18th week of 1980 or does this spreading of the number in the back of the computer mean January of 1980. I am posting pictures of the bottom of the computer. Please look at the pictures.

Thanks

post-17711-0-73260000-1439853082_thumb.jpg

post-17711-0-13022500-1439853208_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sean39

I have two different 800's and two different 400's, none of them as early as yours. Now that said, one of each model has plastic engravings like that, and the other two each have supplemental paper serial number labels (narrow white adhesive labels with hand-written numbers and date codes written as DD/M). Taken all together, and combined with some of the date codes on some of the original chips, I've decided that the three digit codes on my machines are in a WWY format. Based on that, my guess is that your machine was assembled in the 18th week of 1980.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thank you for your help

I was hoping to find out how the dating worked of these machines. Anyways my goal is to find a serial number low enough

so I can have one of the first original 1979 Atari 800 machines.

Maybe one of these days.

Thanks