IGNORED

questions about my first 2600

segasaturn

Ive been a long time collector and I just got my first 2600 from a friend close by me......its a 4 switch woody. It was very dirty though and i think i cleaned it all up. it works but my question is, is there a good cleaning guide for these or 2600s in general that most people follow? I cleaned it and sprayed wd40 on the switches, works a lot smother. i just want to see a guide to see if i missed anything.

Also I was wondering about the heavy sixers. Are they just a collectors item or do they work any better then other models? How much do they go for if I'm interested in getting one?

Edited by segasaturn

Heavy Sixers are desirable for many reasons... different case design, made in Sunnyvale and outputs better colors. Can probably get one for between $60-$100 these days.

And be careful with WD-40 and electronics! Should use a true contact or tuner cleaner for switches instead. WD-40 leaves behind a film (remember, it's an oil primarily made to squelch squeeks after all) that's conductive... so you might experience flaky behavior on the contacts you sprayed.

• Like 3

Ive been a long time collector and I just got my first 2600 from a friend close by me......its a 4 switch woody. It was very dirty though and i think i cleaned it all up. it works but my question is, is there a good cleaning guide for these or 2600s in general that most people follow? I cleaned it and sprayed wd40 on the switches, works a lot smother. i just want to see a guide to see if i missed anything.

Also I was wondering about the heavy sixers. Are they just a collectors item or do they work any better then other models? How much do they go for if I'm interested in getting one?

I use WD40 Contact Cleaner works great! Maplins sell it or you can get it on ebay.

Heavy Sixers were only made for a year from 1977-1978. And about 250,000 were made in it's total production run. They are a highly sought after console and the price has been driven up in recent years. On average it will cost around $70 for a bare system only. And much more depending if any controllers, games, original box, etc. I have one myself and I love it. The color palette is much much better. I wouldn't suggest looking for that particular model on ebay. They are insanely overpriced. I use contact cleaner for my switches. WD-40 is good for lubricating hinges to silence squeaky and grinding sounds.

I just use these 2 items, one for the exterior of the Atari and one for the INTERIOR, you don't generally need to spend a bundle when cleaning your Atari, "segasaturn", I have 5 4-switch woodgrains and I care for them all the same way. I do agree with "save2600" however on the WD-40 use, WD-40 is typically made for things that "spin" like electrical motors and such, for sliding mechanisms like switches contact cleaner is best. I use this on the switches of my 2600's and on the potentiometers of the paddles with great results. Others have gotten results that differ from mine but also I don't generally saturate the electronics either. Since the contact cleaner I use is quick-drying I apply it only in short bursts for maximum effect. Here are the 2 items I use and am pleased with the results:post-2131-0-97596700-1440002375_thumb.jpg

Plus it is also plastic, safe and will not harm your Atari over time:
post-2131-0-39822100-1440002451_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just a couple general points - Light Sixers are much more common than Heavies and therefore less expensive. They typically have excellent video, easily on par with Heavies.

4-Switch Woodies are even more common. Some of them have excellent video, some aren't as good. It depends on the motherboard version. I have one with a Rev 14 board that was just okay when I got it. Once I installed a simple resistor on the board in line with the recommendation on the Atari Field Service Guide it became fantastic.

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk