IGNORED

Ultimate Cart (SD multicart) - preorders thread

electrotrains

Is there a way to change the SD slot to one like on the older Raspberry Pis? The current slot won't let you use a micro SD to SD adapter:

92b42bcb6896ae0a8b895136255e48f9.jpg

At the top is the adapter. You can see it is a little thicker than an SD card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Gozar - I've got no intention of changing the PCB at this point, though I do quite like the look of the SD card slot in your picture - it would have given me a bit more room on the PCB!

However, the current slot *does* support microsd in an adapter - in fact all the pictures I've posted of the new board are using micro sd in an adapter - just not the adapter pictured. I've been using the kind of adapters you get in the package whenever you buy a microsd card.

I would be interested in obtaining 5 of just the PCBs and building them myself. Thx Robin!

Mike

I like your attitude :-)

I'll PM you a link to the board files (I'm planning to start a technical thread soon, but haven't got all the files uploaded to github yet).

Edited by electrotrains

Sorry Gozar - I've got no intention of changing the PCB at this point, though I do quite like the look of the SD card slot in your picture - it would have given me a bit more room on the PCB!

However, the current slot *does* support microsd in an adapter - in fact all the pictures I've posted of the new board are using micro sd in an adapter - just not the adapter pictured. I've been using the kind of adapters you get in the package whenever you buy a microsd card.

I didn't think it would require a redesign of the PCB, just the purchase of a different SD slot (I have no idea what the name of the slot that is soldered onto the board is called). :-)

Is there a way to change the SD slot to one like on the older Raspberry Pis? The current slot won't let you use a micro SD to SD adapter:

At the top is the adapter. You can see it is a little thicker than an SD card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's different. All the microSD to SD card adapters I have look like SD cards. the MicroSD card slides into the top of the SD-like card, and then it goes into any SD card slot.

That's different. All the microSD to SD card adapters I have look like SD cards. the MicroSD card slides into the top of the SD-like card, and then it goes into any SD card slot.

I think there is some confusion. The micro SD to SD adapter I showed is for the older Raspberry Pi so the SD card doesn't hang out by 1/2", and instead, is flush with the motherboard. Unfortunately, the SD slot in the Ultimate cart is enclosed, which doesn't allow you to use the Pi micro SD adapter. If we could use the Pi micro SD adapter, then the SD card would not be hanging out. :-)

It's more of an aesthetic issue at this point, since FJC confirmed the Ultimate Cart does fit in the 800.

Edited by gozar

I think there is some confusion. The micro SD to SD adapter I showed is for the older Raspberry Pi so the SD card doesn't hang out by 1/2", and instead, is flush with the motherboard. Unfortunately, the SD slot in the Ultimate cart is enclosed, which doesn't allow you to use the Pi micro SD adapter. If we could use the Pi micro SD adapter, then the SD card would not be hanging out. :-)

It's more of an aesthetic issue at this point, since FJC confirmed the Ultimate Cart does fit in the 800.

If you case your board though (which does look much nicer), there would be no easy way to get the adapter card out again if it was flush with the board....