IGNORED

Ultimate Cart (SD multicart) - preorders thread

electrotrains

Hello guys

Only thing from holding me back from ordering one is the price. £ 70 is about € 95. Add postage and we're speaking about approximately € 100,- That's a lot of money. With the right software, this might be a very good alternative to a flash cartridge. But flash cartridges cost about half of what this cartridge costs.

Sorry

Sincerely

Mathy

Mathy,

The parts cost is about £30-35. All the plans are available online on the github site (link below), so feel free to build one yourself or even do a small run and sell them for whatever you like - I've been encouraging this from the start, since I have little desire to build 100+ carts - for me this is mainly a hobby/learning project.

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart

Having said that, it would be nice to recoup some of my development costs from this project, since it took a number of prototypes, sample boards, and bits of equipment to get to this point.

I've also been meaning to post to say that I'm now charging £65 for the cart - the price of the fpga (the most expensive component) fell by £5 shortly after I started the thread, so I've just passed that on.

A few people have also expressed an interest in doing small runs - hopefully they will start producing and offering boards in the months to come, perhaps at a cheaper price if they can manage that.

Finally, its also worth pointing out that the closest comparison to my cart - AtariMax's 5200 SD Multicart costs $129 US Dollars.

Robin

• Like 6

Hello Robin

I do understand that you're trying to not loose money on this project. If the cartridge costs £ 65 to make, then that's what it costs. And I really like the idea of being able to switch memory. But in my case, the "me want" factor isn't big enough to justify buying it at this price, however justified it may be.

Sincerely

Mathy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin.

In the pictures the bottom board is mirrored. Therefore you see the pcb like the real one. Maybe this confuse things somehow.

I am in work now. I will reply on the technical thread or with pm, when I go back in home.

Edited by santosp

Probably time for another news update....

I've now made 20 carts in total and am getting a bit fed up doing it. I might make another 3 before xmas, but I'm not sure yet...

The first few went to UK members, a few have gone to people that have helped me with the project, and the rest have been offered to members on this thread (in order). I'm sorry I didn't get to offer one to all of the people that helped and encouraged me early on (in the development thread), and if I do another 3 before xmas, it will be to offer them to some of these members.

In short, hardware assembly is quite good fun when you are trying to perfect the technique, but becomes quite dull once you've got the hang of it. This has always just been a hobby spare time project, so time to stop when you stop getting anything out of it.

As you can probably guess from the post prior to this one, santosp is planning to do a run of these carts soon, and I'm sure he'll post when he's got the details sorted out. There are a few other people also planning runs, and I'm happy for them to contact people on this thread. So hopefully there will be a decent supply of these carts in the months to come.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...