IGNORED

Brief story and some appreciation from a recent 5200 convert

DiscoDr.Bones

I have been aware of the 5200 for quite a while, but I had always been discouraged from getting one, either directly or implicitly, because of complaints about the controllers. So when I decided to start exploring Atari a few years ago, I started with the A8 and worked my way around from there. Even though I understood most A8 and 5200 games to be comparable, my curiosity was getting the better of me, so I did some research and set aside some money earlier this year and over a few months I eventually picked up a PSU modded 4 port 5200, an AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart, a few of the Best Reconditioned CX52 controllers and most recently, a trackball.

It seems crazy now, because at the time, I was concerned that I was going to feel like I was wasting money in this endeavor, but the last few months, even with the 800XL occupying the spot next to it, the 5200 is dominating my playing time. Like completely. I don’t really feel mislead about the controllers, but I end up preferring the CX52’s to A8/CX40’s in all games except Frogger and Q*bert. Granted I have only been a 5200 owner for a few months now, so there may be long term maintenance issues I’m not yet aware of, but I seriously don’t get the contemporary critical reception the 5200 seems to get. I’m really glad to have one now and would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone interested in retro gaming.

It is also worth pointing out that I used this forum extensively for guidance, so thank you to the posters here for sharing their expertise and thank you to the homebrew developers/conversion experts that keep the games coming.

--silvahaloone

Edited by SilvaHaloOne
  • Like 9

Happy to hear you enjoy the 5200!! I knew we had to convince you into getting one :grin: And I must say you didn't waste any time in getting all the peripherals as well. And one more thing...... We would like to welcome you to the "Atari 5200 Brotherhood". :) We are always here to help anyone out and give guidance and the 101's on gaming advice.

• Like 2

Thanks Retrogamer81081... I did move quickly when it came to the peripherals... it was a conscious decision because once I got the system and two of the Best controllers, it felt like the rest of my goals regarding the 5200 were easily within range, so I decided to dedicate my time and money to it before I would have any reason or circumstance to reconsider. Now I'm going to casually seek out complete copies of the 10-20 games I find most compelling for the system and I would really like to try the Wico Command Control Joystick, but I'm not going to be disappointed if that never happens... I'm very happy with the way things have worked out so far...

• Like 2

... and thank you to the homebrew developers/conversion experts that keep the games coming.

Always a pleasure!

Although shockingly it's been over a year since I've contributed anything :sleep:

Seeking to rectify that shortly which should engender forgiveness and make nice additions to your new collection :D

• Like 3

Welcome to the club man! I was in the same boat with a 130XE... ended up taking the plunge for the 5200 (A/V and PSU mods), rebuilt controllers, Competition Pro digital stick, Wico analog stick and pad and almost all the games (including a ton of ports made into carts). Love it to death! This was the system I always wanted as a kid (had a 2600, VIC-20 then C64 instead), so it was always near and dear to my heart. The 5200 doesn't disappoint and all naysayers are just regurgitating isolated bad experiences or simply passing along misinformation.

• Like 2

If you're not going to go down the Atarimax or flash card route with an A8 computer, the 5200 is worth owning for Berzerk and Space Dungeon alone, two titles that did not have an official release on A8. I love my 5200 and even blogged a buyer's guide to it (link in sig) a couple of years ago.

However, I have to say that A8 + Battlestation II dual arcade stick + Space Dungeon/Robotron = OMG.

• Like 3

I have the Wico and really enjoy the system with it, but I'm sure those Best Electronics controllers are just fine to get the full Atari experience... I am glad you are getting a lot out of it! I've had a lot of enjoyment from mine since I got it in 1994.

I am kinda the opposite of you because recently I had my first Atari 800xl gaming experience and am beginning to collect the computer games. I am considering grabbing a flash cart for it... we'll see.

Edited by ave1

If you're not going to go down the Atarimax or flash card route with an A8 computer, the 5200 is worth owning for Berzerk and Space Dungeon alone, two titles that did not have an official release on A8. I love my 5200 and even blogged a buyer's guide to it (link in sig) a couple of years ago.

However, I have to say that A8 + Battlestation II dual arcade stick + Space Dungeon/Robotron = OMG.

I used your buyers guide--thanks.

• Like 1

Way cool! Ya, I am pretty addicted to playing centipede and missile command+ (the three base version) on my 5200 lately :) luvin that trackball!

Check the thread over here in the 5200 zone about Atari 8-bit conversions and try Playsoft's conversion of Slime. He got it to work with the 5200 Trak-Ball. The mechanics are different than, say, Centipede so it might take some getting used to...