IGNORED

My quest for a rock bottom priced Atari 400

kiwilove

I am perfectly happy for it to have only 16k of memory - and for it to be in working order. The keyboard can be a bit messed up, as long as it still functions - as I don't expect to do much typing etc on it.

The problem with me, would be the shipping of it. Ebay etc only ship priority service, with tracking - which probably ends up 3x? the cost of the what I'd like to pay for it (anything under $50? the lower the better).

I'd prefer a cheaper (and slower) delivery to New Zealand. The power supply will be of no use to me - as I don't wish to purchase a 240 volt to 110 volt step down transformer? And would be better off purchasing a normal 240 volt AC to 5? or 9? volt DC power supply locally.

So if anyone does have a spare Atari 400 - that they are happy to part with - I would certainly put it to good use.

I like to use it to show off AtariBLAST! with - and for testing purposes. While I do have an Atari 800XL 64k NTSC machine for this - there is a certain sentimental value attached to an Atari 400. I've never owned one myself - previously. I did seriously consider buying one back in the day - but went Atari 800 instead (which I don't have now unfortunately).

There is a use for Atari 400 16k machines....

Harvey

The power supply will be of no use to me - as I don't wish to purchase a 240 volt to 110 volt step down transformer? And would be better off purchasing a normal 240 volt AC to 5? or 9? volt DC power supply locally.

that would be 9VAC not DC. you'd be looking probably for about 2A @ 9VAC

EDIT: on the 400, especially if it's 16K, I think you can probably get away with 2A, but I know the 800 supplies were 31VA, or about 3.5A.

Edited by Joey Z

EDIT: on the 400, especially if it's 16K, I think you can probably get away with 2A, but I know the 800 supplies were 31VA, or about 3.5A.

I'm pretty sure the 400 and 800 models both shipped with the same power supply. I know when I got back into collecting hardware about 12 or 13 years ago, all four of the 400/800 machines I bought came with the same "standard" first-generation Atari power supply (used as well for the 1050 and 1200XL). All have the same Atari model number and look exactly the same. *shrug*

I'm pretty sure the 400 and 800 models both shipped with the same power supply. I know when I got back into collecting hardware about 12 or 13 years ago, all four of the 400/800 machines I bought came with the same "standard" first-generation Atari power supply (used as well for the 1050 and 1200XL). All have the same Atari model number and look exactly the same. *shrug*

Early 400s shipped with a 15VA power supply, CO14319, which can only supply about 1/2 the current of the more common 31VA model.

I had one blow the internal fuse after upgrading the 400 with a Mosaic 64K RAM card, I was able to crack the case open and replace the fuse but many were probably discarded once the fuse blew.

• Like 1