IGNORED

μFLY - new Jaguar game release

sh3-rg

Really nice!

I like the pseudo 3D effect you did woth the pillars. You just put a similar shaped bright/dark one behind each pillar and it shifts into view as you move, right?

Cheers :)

That's how I considered doing it at first, but the practicalities of having another 5 or 10 objects (each vertical obstruction is actually two objects and a gap), even if they were only 1-bit, was a concern as that area is already full of transparent objects and they would have been piled 15+ high at times - some experiments had seen some of that lovely OP tearing showing itself :D Instead, I burned RAM and created animation frames. So they spawn on the right and Raptor auto-animates them as they auto-track over the screen. Was just a matter of choosing suitable animation and scroll speeds. Doing that I just have to fix up the current frame and some other stuff before randomly choosing which of the 5 types they will be when respawned again the other side. Another benefit is it would allow me to shade them differently as they track, but the few tests I made never quite looked as good as all bright and dark ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4

But no, I made it twitchier the other night to make the really tough later part of the game easier (because you fall faster and when they are very close this helps a lot), but I think I went too far the other way and it's resulted in being a bit too twitchy on the whole (basically gravity is too harsh to begin with, I set the entry point into the falling curve table too high) so I might adjust that and also ease the collision detection just a touch to keep from having to swear at the TV. And WTF RNGesus? No hearts dropped in that game at all and I lost my multiplier, bah!

...When they said (svn) REVERT REVERT

I wonder what they meant

When they said (svn) REVERT REVERT

I wonder what they meant

I wonder what they meant

• Like 2

I see. Well, I guess it doesn't matter if you do both the coding AND the graphics yourself, each method still ends up being your work. Usually I prefer loading it off on the coder's shoulders. :P The effect definitely works great. I bet there will be people thinking you used 3D elements there.

• Like 1

...When they said (svn) REVERT REVERT

I wonder what they meant

I wonder what they meant

I wonder what they meant

likes-aa-mts6b.png

I see. Well, I guess it doesn't matter if you do both the coding AND the graphics yourself, each method still ends up being your work. Usually I prefer loading it off on the coder's shoulders. :P The effect definitely works great. I bet there will be people thinking you used 3D elements there.

hehe, see above image.

• Like 1

:cool: The high score at 3:40 (or so) didn't become to the high score to beat in the next game. Is that a buglet?

What makes this 0.99 and not 1.0:

Disabled high score tracking and Memory Track saving. Both function perfectly, but there might be changes and I don't want crashes due to potentially incompatible saves later down the line.

But thanks for reporting it, I appreciate you taking the time to check it out! :0)

Have squashed one rare bug that is showing in that version. If you died while there was a heart on screen and uncollected (pretty rare occurrence), thanks to (I believe) some branch object weirdness, instead of hiding the heart off screen as normal, it got stuck to the branch object y-position. So I handle that differently now. The zooming-up and flying away player sprite on death also clips to a branch object y-position, but that I can live with, he still scrolls left and off the screen, just doesn't like to fly past the scores any more :D

• Like 4

Gotta know when to burn a heart...

I'd add that after so much with SFDX, our hero here feels a little...mechanical in his movements. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a little stiffer than Superfly or Flappy Bird.

Edited by racerx

Gotta know when to burn a heart...

You use hearts up when it's just not safe, split-second judgement call. It's just nice to have the option, the RNG seems a little unfair at times. But that's RNG :)

I'd add that after so much with SFDX, our hero here feels a little...mechanical in his movements. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a little stiffer than Superfly or Flappy Bird.

SFDX also feels completely different to the ST game, yet it uses exactly the same fall table values.

But μFLY is not really meant to play like those games, even though it's like it sits between the two in some ways. For me it gets more like the dodging sections of Scramble once you get deeper in and have to constantly check backwards to line up the gaps then boost forwards to make them and regain lost ground. That's the bit I look forward to reaching because it's hectic on the edge stuff.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the version in this thread had broken fall/rise table entry points, here's one with something more like the original gravity pull. In a quick test I scored 2211 at 60Hz, so I know it plays smoother (it's less "tappy" as there are 8 frames of more gradual falling before the values currently used kick in).

uFLY0_991.abs

Don't expect it to feel wildly different though, this game can't have the swooping sinuous flow of SFDX because there are up to 5 obstacles to dodge on screen at once, each presenting you with 10 parts death vs 3 parts safety... with a SFDX-type movement you'd be dead in no time as it'd be simply impossible to fall from the highest gap then make the lowest. When it reaches its hardest point, there's a gap of only about 50 pixels between obstacles... so you basically have to drop like a stone once you stop boosting, but the trick has been balancing that with keeping it feeling decent earlier on.

• Like 1

Just a suggestion to mix things up - I noticed on the video there are 2 columns displays in the background moving along. Similar to how Tetris shows you the 'next piece' - wonder if the middle row of towers could actually be the sequence of towers for the player - maybe 3 or 4 ahead so those with great eye/memory tracking could think ahead :)

• 3 months later...

Hey Sh3rg

Finally had a chance to give this a whirl. What is the hearts function and how do you use them(Edit read the instructions, but do you need to activate them or do they automatically function)? I was having a little trouble modulating the "fly" button, but I was also playing it on virtual Jag and think it would be a lot easier with a real Jag controller. My only suggestion would be to vary the sky color every 20 gates or so, just to keep things interesting. It also allows you to benchmark your progress (like the different types of beams you are landing on in downfall.) The gate counter is never a bad idea either. Had a blast and definitely looking forward to playing more of this and future versions!

post-38373-0-33313500-1448844576_thumb.jpg

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 2

Hey Sh3rg

Finally had a chance to give this a whirl. What is the hearts function and how do you use them(Edit read the instructions, but do you need to activate them or do they automatically function)? I was having a little trouble modulating the "fly" button, but I was also playing it on virtual Jag and think it would be a lot easier with a real Jag controller. My only suggestion would be to vary the sky color every 20 gates or so, just to keep things interesting. It also allows you to benchmark your progress (like the different types of beams you are landing on in downfall.) The gate counter is never a bad idea either. Had a blast and definitely looking forward to playing more of this and future versions!

Ta for the feedback. racer is right, hearts will be consumed automatically to protect your multiplier (I really had to think about this because it's been a while - probably months since I looked at anything rb+ and more since it was ufly... oops!).

I had some palette sliding throughout the game to show progress but at that point it was right on the limit of dropping out of 60fps at the fastest blocker rate so I was stripping things back and it went. But I changed more stuff up since that IIRC so I can try sticking that somewhere I know to be less impactful or just cheat and do it on the cheap some other way, because it did look decent going to a moody sunset, but not at the expense of occasional duped frames. Work is over for 2015 and I think the best way back in to rb+ might be to finish this game off, so I'll see how it goes. I've also got a few demoeffectish things to go back to that I think will be used for an invitetro and two other game projects underway:

one is a bit lost without any real inspiration for what the game should really do (vertical platformer - old build):

and the other is an unannounced team-up with GGN and super early, only having a few days spent on it (but much further along in terms of being a game):

4am early tech test:

experimenting with level presentation and some pointless RMW scallywagging:

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Played this some more tonight, great fun. It's like a classy version of Fappy Bird. You should make a small CD run of this game!

I'm not an old-hand at this forum, but I assume this is where a comment about a list should start? I'd like to be on the list for getting nachos, it's a one-man list and I'm about to go fill that order.

• Like 1