IGNORED

Games You've Finished Without Continues

BillyHW

No extra lives codes either.

Just one quarter, or if on a console or computer game, the starting number of lives.

Back in the day I would always try to practice games until I could finish them without continues, because to me, that felt like the only "real" way to finish a game. Also, some games would give you special endings without continues.

Edited by BillyHW

In the arcade, fighting games aside, I was only ever able to manage completing Strider on one quarter. Wait, that's not true--Double Dragon and Double Dragon II can be added to that list as well (actual arcade boards). I may have done Esprade, R-Type Leo and Haunted Castle via emulation. Contra and Super Contra as well, but via the XBOX 360 (emulation technically, but official releases).

On consoles, the list would be too long to write out. :lolblue:

I've definitely finished many different versions of Street Fighter II with different characters (but usually Ryu) without even losing a round. There's usually a special ending without continues and something extra special without losing a round. For instance, I got to see the programmers faces in the arcade Champion Edition. On the SNES version you get a different final graphic poster.

Even today I can get to M. Bison every time without even breaking a sweat.

Edited by BillyHW

I'm having trouble remembering the others, but I think I also did Super Ghouls'n Ghosts on SNES and Contra on NES.

And of course there's lots of other games like Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Kart, etc. that maybe are a bit too easy to count for this list. I'm interested in games where finishing it without continues would be a notable challenge.

In the arcade, fighting games aside, I was only ever able to manage completing Strider on one quarter. Wait, that's not true--Double Dragon and Double Dragon II can be added to that list as well (actual arcade boards). I may have done Esprade, R-Type Leo and Haunted Castle via emulation. Contra and Super Contra as well, but via the XBOX 360 (emulation technically, but official releases).

On consoles, the list would be too long to write out. :lolblue:

Double Dragon is doable if you learn the elbow trick, but you still have to be careful with the pillars, and avoid the bullets at the end.

Edited by BillyHW

Contra (never use the 30 live Konami code)

Castlevania

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest

Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

Mega Man

Mega Man 2

Mega Man 3

Mega Man 4

Mega Man 5

Mega Man 6

Mega Man 7

Mega Man 8

Legend of Zelda

The Adventures of Link

Super Adventure Island

Splatterhouse

Super Mario Bros

Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels

Super Mario Bros 3

Vs. Super Mario Bros

Bonk's Revenge

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Revenge of Shinobi

Golden Axe

Duck Tales

Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers

TMNT 2 The arcade game

Moon Patrol

Here is Vs. Super Mario Bros. Beaten with no warps and no lives lost at the barcades yesterday.

post-32978-0-93263800-1440320351_thumb.jpg

post-32978-0-93844100-1440320367_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've beaten SFII without continuing, using Blanka. Just once though.. on the arcade machine.

World Heroes is so easy.. I beat it losing just one round.

Beat World Heroes Jet in a theater lobby, losing just once.

I've beaten Mega Mans 1, 2 and 3 each without even dying.

I beat Contra without continuing and without the 30-lives code.

Beaten Castlevania without continuing.

Beaten SMB 1 and 2 without continuing. The second game is REAL easy to beat without continuing! Never really got into the 3rd game for some reason.

Kinda off the "continue" topic but I can finish a whole season/postseason in Bases Loaded without my opponent registering a hit, ever.

• Like 1

There's been quite a few of them over the last 25 years or so that I've been playing games, but off the top of my head here's the ones I can remember beating without using any continues. I'll also make note of the ones that were beaten on one life without ever dying with a "(1 Life)" notation. In rough order of release, the ones I can remember are:

NES

Castlevania (1 Life)

Super Mario Bros.

Sega Genesis

Mortal Kombat [Hard difficulty] (1 Life)

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1 Life)

Sonic & Knuckles (1 Life)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (1 Life)

Sonic 3D Blast

Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition [Level 4 difficulty] (1 Life)

Thunder Force III [Normal difficulty]

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 [Normal difficulty] (1 Life)

Game Boy

Donkey Kong

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Kirby's Dream Land (1 Life)

Kirby's Pinball Land

Mortal Kombat II [Normal difficulty] (1 Life)

Nemesis

Solar Striker

Street Fighter II [Level 4 difficulty] (1 Life)

Super Mario Land (1 Life)

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan

MS-DOS

Ultimate Doom [ultra Violence difficulty] (1 Life)

Doom II [ultra Violence difficulty] (1 Life)

Game Boy Color

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (1 Life)

Project S-11

Sony PlayStation

Resident Evil: Director's Cut (1 Life)

Resident Evil 2 (1 Life)

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1 Life)

Game Boy Advance

Doom [ultra Violence difficulty] (1 Life)

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance [Normal difficulty] (1 Life)

GameCube

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (1 Life)

Star Fox Adventures (1 Life)

Edited by Jin

Here are a few of 'em, though not all:

NES - Robowarrior

Genesis - Arrow Flash, Art of Fighting, Dark Castle, Double Dragon, Double Dragon V (1LC), Gain Ground, Growl (1LC), Saint Sword (1LC), Shadow Blasters (1LC), WarpSpeed, Zoom

Sega CD - Fahrenheit (32X), Wirehead

Game Boy Color - Shamus

Dreamcast - Virtua Tennis (arcade mode)

I don't remember whether some of the games I've beaten even have continues!

Offhand, I've done it on Super Mario Bros., Contra, Super C, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (yes, that TMNT), Resident Evil 2, and Doom (one life; definitely Knee Deep, possibly Shores and Inferno, but not Thy Flesh :-o ). I'm sure there are others, but that's what I can think of at the moment.

I have beaten Super Mario Bros straight through no warps. My proudest moment however was once I started second quest on World 8 and rescued the princess a second time without losing a life. :D

I have beaten a number other games but mostly ones that tracked your progress. Modern games that save after every stage basically award free continues ad infinitum. Also I've died plenty of times along the way in Zelda and the Mario RPGs.

Not many, I have to admit. I did do it with "Super Mario Land" on the Gameboy back in the day, though, because that was the only way that you COULD do it! :)

I noticed when playing on my DMG Game Boy, sometimes SML awards continues and sometimes it doesn't. I wonder why? Super Mario Land also awards a ton of 1ups if you know where to look in stages, also by taking the high exit at the end of each world. I always seem to lose them in World 3 and 4 however.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...