IGNORED

SIO2BT - ordering thread

TheMontezuma

• 2 months later...

I was wondering: has anyone Sio2BT working in Respeqt under MAC OS X?

A lot of the steps for linux are not possible with Mac OS X (or at least, I don't know how to do that, since most of the commands I type do not work in terminal)

But... my Sio2BT is seen by OS X, I can pair it... using the code... and the red light of the SIO2BT is permanent on (not blinking)

Nex to that I found the device:

/dev/tty.SIO2BT055-DevB

I typed this on the right place in Respeqt under OS X, and that actually worked also. Respeqt was able to connect (so it did not answer Emulation Stopped, the emulation was running).

but then...

I'm not able to get any data in or out...

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Marius

Ah I found a new binary from OS X Respeqt on AA, and this one works! Together with the SIO2BT OS it works.

IS there any chance it can work with stock Rev. 2 XL/XE OS too?

That would be even more awesome...

But for now it is good enough!

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 1

Hi ProWizard,
thanks for your feedback.
Since I do not have a Mac my testing capabilities are pretty limited (I asked a colleague and we tried together to load a game from his Airbook). I think I need a hackintosh to provide better support :)

Do you mean that you are not able (with stock OS) to load XBIOS4BT or it is not possible to load games over Bluetooth with XBIOS4BT?
Regards
TheMontezuma

Hi ProWizard,

thanks for your feedback.

Since I do not have a Mac my testing capabilities are pretty limited (I asked a colleague and we tried together to load a game from his Airbook). I think I need a hackintosh to provide better support :)

Do you mean that you are not able (with stock OS) to load XBIOS4BT or it is not possible to load games over Bluetooth with XBIOS4BT?

Regards

TheMontezuma

This is what works:

1) Using the Sio2BT OS inside my atari I can boot ATR files with respeqt (OS X) and using Sio2BT plug.

2) Using stock Atari OS inside my atari I can boot XEX files using XBIOS4BT from with Sio2BT on Android phone

This is what NOT works:

1) Using the SIO2BT OS inside my atari the Folder functionality of Respeqt is buggy (can also be a fault in the Respeqt program)... Sometimes it works for a 50 sectors, and then suddenly a strange sound and ERROR

2) Using Stock Atari I can hardly boot XBIOS4BT... it takes forever before it finally is there (i get some sectors, and then it waits... and a few sectors ... and it waits).

I think there are some severe timing issues between my Atari and my Mac Book Pro.

With my Android phone there are no issues at all.

This is what NOT works:

1) Using the SIO2BT OS inside my atari the Folder functionality of Respeqt is buggy (can also be a fault in the Respeqt program)... Sometimes it works for a 50 sectors, and then suddenly a strange sound and ERROR

There was a discussion on the folder functionality here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249012-respeqt-osx-folder-boot-issue/

Maybe this helps?

2) Using Stock Atari I can hardly boot XBIOS4BT... it takes forever before it finally is there (i get some sectors, and then it waits... and a few sectors ... and it waits).

I see. I only tried "SIO2BT OS", but observed some ugly timing issues, which I described here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248683-os-x-respeqt-issues/

• Like 1

Just to pass along something I got running earlier today. I have the following setup.

130xe using custom OS ROM that supports the SIO2BT timing changes

SIO2BT connected to the SIO port

Raspberry Pi B+ running latest OS (jessie)

USB Bluetooth module installed and configured

USB Bluetooth module and SIO2BT paired

RespeQT compiled and configure to talk to SIO2BT

Atari ATR downloaded and in D1 on RespeQT

I have booted the 130xe from the Raspberry Pi. A forty year old computer booting a floppy image using a Raspberry Pi as the floppy emulation point. This is amazing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unboxing SIO plugs delivery ;)

post-29824-0-05986100-1460649677_thumb.jpg

post-29824-0-56444300-1460649700_thumb.jpg

I have one good and one bad news.

The good one is that I just got 20 SIO plugs and the bad one is that they were a little bit more expensive than last time - mainly due to shipping costs (I had ordered them at Best Electronics this time, since I could not get in touch with Lotharek).

Anyway it is probably the last chance to get a "ready to go" SIO2BT device (in a SIO plug).

It is really quite an effort to put everything together, so I don't think I will do it again.

If you are interested, please send me a PM.

The cost of the device in a SIO plug is 35€ (or 20€ of a KIT) and 6€ are the shipping costs worldwide.

If you like to get a programmed EPROM chip (with a patched OS), please add 1€.

• 2 months later...

Having fun with SIO2BT and MyBIOS...... :)

I change the baud-rate using AT+ command to 57k6 and use speed-byte #$08 as pokey-divider.

Distance between receiver and phone (I use a samsung ACE) is >5 meters.

Hi Sijmen-

Could you provide a little more detail on your hardware?

So, you have a phone as your "source," then an SIO plug with the Blue tooth receiver/transmitter that is daisy-chained to your Atari. Then you have a patched MyBios that does the work? Is this pretty close, or am I missing something? Thought of something else -- presume you could use this with a PC & the modified AspeQt just as well as a phone?

-Larry

• Like 2

Hi Larry,

The last MyBIOS-beta (#17) supports SIO2BT timing, so I use that.

I changed the bluetooth-dongle connected to my PC using arduino serial-monitor and a generic FDTI-dongle, won't go in detail here, users can fuck-up there device.....

But I changed the buad-rate to 57k6 and device name to MrAtari.

On My phone I have the SIO2BT app, go to the google playstore for it.

The APP answers #$28 to the speedbyte-command, so you have to set manually location $310 to $08 (location for speedbyte D1:)

Done that and it works like a charm.

SIO2BT as fast as my speedy drive :-)

I asked Marcin if some changes to his APP are possible, waiting for a reply.

Beside that, having fun with Atari, as always :-)

Later,

Sijmen.

• Like 3

The last MyBIOS-beta (#17) supports SIO2BT timing, so I use that.

I changed the buad-rate to 57k6.

SIO2BT as fast as my speedy drive :-)

Cool!

Just as explanation for regular SIO2BT project users:

- your Bluetooth transceivers are pre-configured to the standard speed (19200)

- the transceiver configured for 57k6 will not talk 19k2, and vice versa (you can't have both)

- dynamic baudrate negotiation with ATARI is not possible

- the Android SIO2BT app actually does not care about the baudrate, since it uses Bluetooth connection and it communicates as fast as Bluetooth allows (the only exception is the support for the SPEED POLL command which is always answered with $28 (19k2))

- changing the baudrate of your Bluetooth transceiver is possible, but one can easily screw it up, so I don't recommend to play with it, unless you really know what you do

• Like 1

Cool!

Just as explanation for regular SIO2BT project users:

- your Bluetooth transceivers are pre-configured to the standard speed (19200)

- the transceiver configured for 57k6 will not talk 19k2, and vice versa (you can't have both)

- dynamic baudrate negotiation with ATARI is not possible

- the Android SIO2BT app actually does not care about the baudrate, since it uses Bluetooth connection and it communicates as fast as Bluetooth allows (the only exception is the support for the SPEED POLL command which is always answered with $28 (19k2))

- changing the baudrate of your Bluetooth transceiver is possible, but one can easily screw it up, so I don't recommend to play with it, unless you really know what you do

You are right, I'll add dynamic baudrate detection tomorrow.

It is already part of the OS, I only need to extend the baudrate-table.

I forgot that when set at 57k6, the dongle won't work/reply at 19k2......

But I rather see that it does not reply to $3F.

Either ignore causing a NAK er send "E back.

Anyhow, more news tomorrow. :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Together,

sorry for a late answer, I'm just back from my holidays.

How do I get one. Thanks

I may also be interested, depending on price.

Me too :)

- Michael

The prices are mentioned above:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241984-sio2bt-ordering-thread/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3491137

35€ as a SIO plug or 20€ as a KIT

+ 6€ shipping costs worldwide.

By ordering a Bluetooth module from me you get a fully tested and working hardware, supported by the Android App, RespeQt and sio2bsd.

This way you also help me to develop the project in my spare time (for example to buy necessary equipment, etc).

I always try provide support to the SIO2BT users (on the forum or via PM) and several requests are already implemented (or are on the "TO DO" list).

If you don't think that SIO2BT project is worth your support or if you cannot afford it, you may search in the internet for cheap Bluetooth transceivers.

However I cannot guarantee that they will work and I will probably not be able to help in case of problems.

Note that the Android App is available only to the project supporters, however RespeQt and sio2bsd will work with any hardware providing a (virtual) serial port.

That being said, I would like to thank the Atari community for a warm reception.

Special thanks also for FJC, Hias and Mr-Atari for their recent contributions allowing data transmission over Bluetooth at 57k6 :)

• Like 1

That being said, I would like to thank the Atari community for a warm reception.

Special thanks also for FJC, Hias and Mr-Atari for their recent contributions allowing data transmission over Bluetooth at 57k6 :)

Nice! Is this supported in RespeQt at this point?

BTW to anyone considering this device, it's top shelf. Works perfectly and is the most ironically cool accessory I've run across. My 800XL needs nothing more than a power and monitor cable hooked up to it...this thing can effectively turn an 8 bit into a stand alone console-like device.

• Like 2

35€ as a SIO plug or 20€ as a KIT

+ 6€ shipping costs worldwide.

OK put me in as ordering 1 SIO plug version for 41€ (includes shipping).

Thanks for creating this :)

- Michael

• Like 1