IGNORED

Popeye Arcade 8-bit conversion

miker

Sorry, I was not clear, they are all A8 images. The _A8/_5200 designation indicates where the original code came from. The _A8 ones are modifications of the original A8 ROM. The _5200 ones are modifications of Homesoft's A8 port of the 5200 hack. They all run on an A8 and there's probably not much difference between the two versions other than that punch ball jump.

I had the same question. Thank you for the clarifications. The new versions are huge graphics improvements over the original versions!

Edited by atx4us
  • Like 1

PA6DC_A8.xex - A8 version, new graphics/title screen/animated water, punch is double width/new collision detection

This is my favorite version! Although there is an unfortunate drop of resolution for the double-wide punch, to me it is necessary to feel like Popeye is actually punching those bottles. I can never get used to the single-width punch animation and its distance from the punched bottle.

I second this comment :)

Just got the latest update from Playsoft.

This update only contains the Atari 8-bit version.

Like the previous release, "5200" designates what code base the program was derived from.

All versions include the double-width punch, with the updated collision detection.

The punch and climb have been tweaked. I think Popeye's hand is a little too fat, so I think there's call for a V8. Hard to tell until I see it in game.

Enjoy. PopeyeArcadeV7_.zip

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 5

A bit off topic, but when I add this to my The!Cart it shows up as PA6DC_A8. Is there a way to change it to something more normal like Popeye Arcade?

Back on topic, I like the new punching. Popeye looks a bit ugly when he punches, but there's not much that can be done about that (he always did). Having the longer arm makes a huge difference.

Tempest, can't you just rename the XEX file yourself to "PopeyeArcade" before you load it to the cart?

I did but it didn't work. I think the problem is that it's really a AtariMax Flash Cart image with those files in it instead. Maybe I can open it with the Max Flash Studio software and rename it? There were a bunch of files included in that zip so I'm not sure which is the one I want.

I did but it didn't work. I think the problem is that it's really a AtariMax Flash Cart image with those files in it instead. Maybe I can open it with the Max Flash Studio software and rename it? There were a bunch of files included in that zip so I'm not sure which is the one I want.

I think I have a pretty good punch now. I am checking with Playsoft about a little lunge in the punch. Once that's figured out, we'll have a little better release.

• Like 3

This is very nice and I really like the new updates! Personally I do not like the double pixeled punch sprites. It looks terrible! Am I the only one?

Nope, I also dislike the double pixeled sprite. But it's still better than the armless version. ;)

Unfortunately the lil Atari can't have bigger sprites than 8 pixels. I wish there's a better way to show Popeye is punching.

Maybe the 2nd sprite only is double pixeled in punching mode, behind the sailor suit to show the clenched hand and the sailor suit keeps the single pixel size. It's just an idea, I don't know, if this could be makeable.

Greetings, Mario

Nope, I also dislike the double pixeled sprite. But it's still better than the armless version. ;)

Unfortunately the lil Atari can't have bigger sprites than 8 pixels. I wish there's a better way to show Popeye is punching.

Maybe the 2nd sprite only is double pixeled in punching mode, behind the sailor suit to show the clenched hand and the sailor suit keeps the single pixel size. It's just an idea, I don't know, if this could be makeable.

Greetings, Mario

I agree that this is a tough call. There are a few things I do not like about the double-width punch.

I do not like that the players do not sync properly all the time. So, sometimes, it is noticeable that the players are being expanded.

I have cleared the screen with a punch, and the player is all out of sync.

However, I totally got the criticism about the shorter punch throw. When I play the arcade or the NES version, there is something cool about Popeye's far punch. It just feels better.

I was not quite happy with the punch. My most recent, which I haven't released yet (working out some glitches), is much better in my opinion. I have used more blue to separate Popeye's arms. It makes the lack of detail a LITTLE less noticeable. I chose his eye to be "closed" instead of a long blue pixel for an eye.

I took a few minutes to create and animated gif of the NEW expanded punch. I also made a gif of the older, NOT expanded punch.

What does everybody think??? Can we get a vote?

One note: We can't do anything about the out of sync players. This animated gif doesn't capture the split seconds when part of Popeye is expanded and part is still small.

For example, these two glitches happen throughout the game. I even cleared the screen before with "Big-Head" Popeye.

post-13491-0-06985000-1446734433_thumb.png post-13491-0-95786000-1446734448_thumb.png

NARROW PUNCH: (Click Images to preview animation)

post-13491-0-64261100-1446734496_thumb.gif post-13491-0-54425200-1446734979.gif

BEST EXPANDED PUNCH: (Not yet released)

post-13491-0-86237200-1446734535_thumb.gif post-13491-0-45953500-1446734991.gif

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

BEST EXPANDED PUNCH: (Not yet released)

attachicon.gifBestWidePunch.gif attachicon.gifBestWidePunch(Smaller).gif

The last, not released 'best expanded punch' looks good to me. :thumbsup: If it have still the nice collision detection of V7 it would make my day. :D

Really nice job!!! I can't thank you enough, for making it possible to finally play my most beloved Arcade as conversion on my lil Atari, without all the good known frustrations about ugly sprites and bad sprite collision detection. ;) THUMBS UP!!! :thumbsup: THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Greetings Mario

• Like 1

"Best Expanded Punch" FTW. Even with the chunky pixels, it conveys that "punch" feeling way better than the short punch did.

If this game were being coded from scratch, it might be possible to use some kind of DLI to make the players double-width only along the scan lines of the sprite where Popeye's arms are. That way his head and legs wouldn't have to go pixelated.

• Like 1

I vote the short updated punch it looks good and it does show an actual punch versus before. Though I would try to make the fist less round if you can. Unfortunately the chunky pixels of the punch sprite really does mess everything up it and makes the game look amateurish.

Edited by tjlazer

The NES game uses a very dynamic jump in the air and punch one frame pose, not hugely wide, but makes Popeye change shape radically - perhaps that's what to do here?

I imagine they did that because the arcade punch is a very wide sprite.

A leap and punch pose would perhaps be easier to create than trying to make one arm long?

sTeVE

post-579-0-07080300-1446803425.png

Edited by Jetboot Jack

But the two frame animation from narrow to wide pixels is rather crude and very noticeable... Not a feature of a polished game that is for sure...

Since the original 5200/A8 also did this, but with far uglier sprites (!) , I don't think we can complain. After all, these guys are modifying an existing disassembled ROM of the game, not creating it all-new. Thus there are going to be limitations to what they can accomplish in a reasonable time frame. I'm VERY VERY VERY happy with the newest punch as well as the numerous other improvements! EXCELSIOR!!