IGNORED

Decyphering Atari 800 serial number:

Muzz73

Hey, all...

I was about to tear my 800 apart (for upgrading and preventative maintenance) and took a good gander at the serial #. This is what I saw:

On the back and bottom of the machine, there are labels marked "SERIAL NO.", then below it, we have " G 16K 441 7498".

On the bottom, I see "ATARI / 441" stamped into the plastic.

Further down, there is another label with "G 175 AW202007 - 16 10/26 L40 P" on it.

Does anyone out there know what these mean? Is there some sort of hidden meaning, like where it was made and/or when? I just thought it would be kind of neat to find out some history on this machine from before I got it.

It's pretty obvious that this was originally a 16K model, but apart from that, I have no clue.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I *think* the G indicates the machine was made with a GTIA chip, rather than the older CTIA. The 441 stampeded into the plastic indicates week 44 of 1981 for final assembly, I believe.

As for the two paper labels withh different numbers, I have seen numerous 400/800 machines like that and have never seen an answer that definitively explains why that happened. Two of mine are just like that, in fact. I have personally come to believe that the printed label is one prepared for the machine during the ordinary course of production, and that the handwritten label indicates that something moved the machine "out of line" at the factory - a failed diagnostic sent it back for rework, damaged to a component or case during assembly, something like that. The handwritten label would then be added after then machine was finally completed. Again, this is just my educated conclusion based on knowing how assembly lines work generally, and having seen quite a few Atari computers with more than one label.

Edited by DrVenkman