IGNORED

Calling All 800s!

ClausB

A PAL 800 I got on eBay a few weeks ago:

Model No Atari 800 U

BK 007295

Handwritten label

BK/24567-8-19

It came with 16K, the seller said it had never had more RAM than that. Just got an extra 32K from B&C ComputerVisions delivered today icon_smile.gif

RAM and OS modules are cased, and the top is secured with flip tabs, not screws.

Geoff

post-41887-0-78407900-1552074617_thumb.jpg

post-41887-0-67925200-1552074716_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well I went at looked at mine with the 1MB card. Stamped on the case near the top is Atari / 062. Then the serial number is 062 7776. There's a little label below that that says G162 AW207055-16 1/28 L40 P.

The only thing that looks like a date is maybe the 1/28, week 28 of 81 ? I didn't buy this machine new, so no idea when it was purchased originally.

Edit: nm, I see I read the other post wrong, so it's week 06 of 82.

Edited by Alfred
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

post-50660-0-21174900-1557590381.jpeg

I recently picked up this PAL 800, and after surviving all these years, the case was cracked in several places when shipped to me. Small consolation was that I was compensated for the entire amount I bought it for. Seems to work ok, and is equipped with Rev A OS and 48K.

As you can see, it has these stickers with the local characters, and i can switch between US and international characters with Shift-Control-2, not sure if this goes for all PAL Ataris. My Swedish XLs that I’ve picked up can also do this.

post-50660-0-85038400-1557590357_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

The international character set was introduced with the XL OS - Does this 800 have a custom OS? Or is the default character set slightly modified? Could have been modified aftermarket maybe? A kit along with the keycap stickers maybe.

Maybe a ROM dump would be interesting?

• Like 1

Could have been modified aftermarket maybe? A kit along with the keycap stickers maybe.

Notice the print on the keycaps is whiter than the yellowed print on

the other keys... I bet you're right.

I vote for this, too!

I don't have the hardware to do it, but I could mail a chip to someone who can!

If you have the OS in question in a working Atari computer, you have the hardware to do it. :) Just run JAC!'s "Atari ROM Dumper" with BASIC present and it will save the current OS and BASIC ROM to files. If you boot from the ATR directly, the files will be saved directly to the ATR. as well.

http://www.wudsn.com/productions/atari800/atariromchecker/help/AtariROMChecker.html - The "AtariRomDumper.zip" contains the auto-booting .ATR

Likewise Urchlay KlasO, we could quickly confirm or refute suspicions about your machine's OS this way too.

• Like 1

Likewise Urchlay, we could quickly confirm or refute suspicions about your machine's OS this way too.

Wait, what suspicions? (Maybe you're talking about someone else?)

I suspected the OS in my non-booting 800XL might be bad, but it's fine

(put it in a 600XL and it works great)... don't think I ever mentioned

it on this forum though.

Notice the print on the keycaps is whiter than the yellowed print on

the other keys... I bet you're right.

I vote for this, too!

The international character set was introduced with the XL OS - Does this 800 have a custom OS? Or is the default character set slightly modified? Could have been modified aftermarket maybe? A kit along with the keycap stickers maybe.

I have the same kind of stickers on an 800XL with Swedish OS, and the aftermarket mod was probably made by the distributor in Sweden. I don't remember what the keyboards on 800s in Sweden looked like, my first Atari was an 800XL, but the look of this 800 matches what I remember fairly well from the first 800s I used in computer stores in the early eighties.

Rom dump attached

edit: 800XL stickers for comparison

post-50660-0-18634800-1557656189_thumb.jpeg

600XL stickers

post-50660-0-74976200-1557656270_thumb.jpeg

OS.ROM

• Like 2

NICE!

That's SPECIAL... towards the very end of US-based production... seems like a few units apart from mine:

:-D :D Thank you! Yes I have another 800 from week 23 of 83 as well. Looking at ebay auctions it seems to me a LOT of 800's were made in '83 as if production was increased more than ever.

Newest member of the family:

post-19239-0-71018900-1558141345.jpg

This is a later one, with uncased OS/ROM carts (with plastic separator), screws instead of toggles for the cart lid, and a Mitsumi keyboard.

Super clean and apparently little-used. Bought on eBay with the box for only $60.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...