IGNORED

RespeQt general discussion

Joey Z

On 6/14/2018 at 5:22 PM, Keneg said:

Thanks for the reply. I actually like the 800XL better anyway because of the composite video. I may decide to try the 64k upgrade for the 600XL someday. I just haven’t done a lot of soldering in years. I wish the 320k upgrade was still available. That would be perfect. I really don’t understand why so many upgrades are internal instead of using the expansion port.

There is an external device currently in development that combines the features of the 1064, U1MB, and SIDE3.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently got a bug-report by GBXL - all-time SpartaDOS user and I guess an expert too, as he translates several SDX documentations into the german language.

So I cite (slightly shortened):

(...) I found a serious bug in RespeQt 4.3 - 5.3 when creating ATR images of a size of 32 MiB. Konrad (Dra030) was confirming this.

RespeQt creates 32-MiB-Images in a way that the first three sectors have 128 Bytes only - correct would be 512 Bytes.

Altirra, and some other software that creates correct 32 MB images, cannot read from images created by RespeQt 4.3 - 5.3. All data on images created this way might be lost, because of the wrong offset they were shifted forward at least by 384 Bytes.

Hinting to that error is one of the following behaviors:

'135 File is read-only'

or

Directory full of zeros (heart characters)

xxxxx FREE SECTORS

This explains some data-loss I had recently. This particularly explains also why the printer emulation failed in version 4.3b and above, because the data from images created by older versions have been read from the wrong position.

So I'd like the main developers to check this out, would you?

That is true. GBXL sent me disk images he created with versions of RespeQt later than 4.0. It looks like the program accepts 512-byte sectors, but calculates offsets as if the first three sectors were 128-byters. This is how it looks like:

obraz.thumb.png.c93b052b711558f3c9423f36e4464a3d.png

The underlined row is the first 16 bytes of the bitmap. It has been written at offset $90 ($80 of image data, not counting the header), and this effectively overwrote the large part of the sector 1, which contains the bootloader. Here the bootloader is cut short at its very beginning. The underlined data is supposed to be written at the offset $0210 instead.

Next figure:

obraz.thumb.png.2dae0a1fa91cfd81e5100ce2423f3843.png

Now what is it? Sectors 2-17 contain the disk bitmap (VTOC). This is an empty image, so all the bits, except for the few initial positions, should be set, indicating that the corresponding sectors are free. Yet in the middle of that area we have 384 bytes of zeros.

Next figure:

obraz.thumb.png.47e1217a357abc4f883f538856559ffa.png

This is the beginning of the main directory data sector in the image, sector 19. (19*512)-512+16 = $2410, and what do we see here? $2290 - 384 bytes earlier.

No wonder why these images cannot be read.

• Like 4

On 5/14/2021 at 3:17 AM, drac030 said:

It looks like the program accepts 512-byte sectors, but calculates offsets as if the first three sectors were 128-byters.

This reads exactly like the issue I fixed last year: https://github.com/RespeQt/RespeQt/pull/6

The fix has been merged into the master branch almost a year ago - but it seems RespeQt didn't create a release with it...

so long,

Hias

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 8:49 AM, HiassofT said:

This reads exactly like the issue I fixed last year: https://github.com/RespeQt/RespeQt/pull/6

The fix has been merged into the master branch almost a year ago - but it seems RespeQt didn't create a release with it...

so long,

Hias

so who is in charge these days and make a release with all the fixes folks have made over time?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

so who is in charge these days and make a release with all the fixes folks have made over time?

atarixle already provided a linux version on his website. Look for 'RespeQt-master-20210517', works fine except the not fixed problems with the printers (same for the Win version).

Just to say (for completeness) that I did not change anything in the code before I let qtcreator compile it. Usually this should not be an issue as the program compiled fine and the target architectures (x86 and x86_64) equal the (official?) Windows version a.k.a. the version compiled by the devs.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Initial experiences with RespeQT.

I just built up my SIO2PCviaUSB recently.

Since I didn't totally know what I was doing, I was poking around.

For the most part, it was working great.

I found several games that didn't work.

I fired up an Atari emulator and set it for Atari 800 - 48k and tried them.

Several of them also didn't work there, and I found out they were 64k games.  No problem.

But a few of the games worked in the emulator.  So I started trying some things.

I loaded AspeQT, and.. they worked...  Hmmm..  As the code was the same before they forked, I am guessing it is some setting difference or that I messed up (it was both by the way).  ;-)

First thing I found out was that my serial adapter likes 19,200 and 38,400, but not 57,600.  Good to know!  

But I still had one game that wasn't working, even at 19,200 in RespeQT...  So I kept comparing, and...

Apparently at some time in my testing, I clicked Trailing Edge.  When I deselected that, that game started working too!

So, lesson is.. RespeQT has too many options!!!  ;-)  Kidding!!  Lesson for me is to pay attention when I am changing settings, but to remember to try them...  ;-)

As for the speed, 38,400 is plenty fast enough for me on my 48k Atari 400, so I'm not too bothered by that.  Probably my cheap FTDI clone...  ;-)

Thanx for the software....  It's impressive...

I explained what trailing edge setting does and why, it was added because it was needed to help folks using certain cables that are wired to use different control line schemes. It isn't too many, it is what was needed... and it seems yours' doesn't need it. Just because you can click a thing, doesn't mean you should... just like on the internet :)

12 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Just because you can click a thing, doesn't mean you should... just like on the internet :)

Yep...

I fully admit (and did in my post) that it was my mistake...

I posted my mistake here intentionally to let others know, just in case...  

As an aside, nice that RespeQT also works on older machines.  I was able to load it up on an old XP netbook I still have around, so I don't always have to take my laptop downstairs for this.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2022 at 1:57 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

and printers that broke?

Besides using it under Linux - Are there any printers working at all?

Tried it lately and it is a mess. The only readable output is on 1020 as long as it does not comprise more than 1 page. Every next page gets printed on the first sheet. Redirection to a PDF under Linux works fine, but again, everything on 1 page.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2015 at 5:54 PM, mytek said:

BTW for those that might be interested, the version of RespeQt that I used in Linux Mint 17.2 was the Debian 64-bit build available -here- in the RespeQt GitHub Repository. Can't say it would work out-of-the-box without dependencies, since I had already installed QT5 from the Software Manager before running this build. However with that said, the step-by-step worst case scenario to get this running under Linux Mint 17.2 would be...

1. Download RespeQt_r2_debian.8.2_x86_64.tar.gz
  2. Extract the files, and place the extracted RespecQt folder wherever you want it (my home folder worked well for me)
  3. Run RespecQt from that folder
  4. If you see any errors relating to missing dependencies, close the program, go to the Software Manager, do a search for QT5 and install it
  5. That should do it, now just go to Tools>Options to set-up your SIO2PC device (for SIO2PC-USB set port to: /dev/ttyUSB0)

If you are using an SIO2PC-USB such as the one made by Sloopy or Lotharek then its likely that you will also need to add yourself to the dialout group by going to the Linux terminal and entering the following line (replace $USER with your username and when requested, enter your password). You'll need to log-out and back in to have the changes take effect.

sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

If you want a desktop shortcut (launcher) create a text file on your desktop (see below) using either notepad or gedit giving it the name RespeQt.desktop (replace "username" with your own, and adjust the paths to match your setup).

[Desktop Entry]
Version=2
Name=RespeQt
Comment=Atari Disk Emulator
Exec=/home/username/RespeQt/RespeQt
Icon=/home/username/RespeQt/main-icon/RespeQt.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Accessories;

Note: Not sure about Sloopy's device but the Lotharek SIO2PC-USB also requires that the handshake method be specified as DSR.

- Michael

I followed instructions above and I still can't run RespeQt under Linux Mint.

PLEASE someone tell me what I'm missing. I can't believe no one has answered me. The posters here have always been immensely helpful on every other question I've ever posted.

Wow @stushug you quoted something I posted from 7 years ago, and my memory of that has long ago faded. I certainly hope you are using a more recent release than the one I was at the time. As for helping to get it to run under Linux, I have since moved on to using it in WinXP in a virtual box under Linux. The Windows releases I found to be far easier to install, and since I have other Windows specific programs that required WinXP as well, it was simple to use that instead.

Here's where I found the Version 4 release files: https://github.com/ebiguy/RespeQt/releases

Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to compile RespeQt with the latest builds of Qt? I get a missing serial library compile error and I'm all fingers and thumbs trying to fix it. The aim is to remove or allow the disabling of the DOS 2.x sixty-four filename limit per virtual directory, which is just an inconvenience most of the time (and no, I don't want to keep switching between DOS 2.x and SDFS emulation).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Has anyone managed to compile RespeQt with the latest builds of Qt? I get a missing serial library compile error and I'm all fingers and thumbs trying to fix it. The aim is to remove or allow the disabling of the DOS 2.x sixty-four filename limit per virtual directory, which is just an inconvenience most of the time (and no, I don't want to keep switching between DOS 2.x and SDFS emulation).

Which OS Jon? I had some issue of this kind on Linux couple of months ago, only that I don't remember which RespeQT / AspeQT it was... The fix, AFAIR, was a missing QT dev package (not installed by default) installation. If we are talking Windows though I wouldn't know...

5 minutes ago, woj said:

Which OS Jon?

Windows, unfortunately. I did get the feeling it was a missing library, but it's years since I compiled RespeQt and it looks like a lot has changed. I simply installed the entire Qt creator package, opened the project, attempted to build it, then got stuck.

I've been trying out the old Atari 800 after 25+ years in storage. I didn't have a working disk drive and my current PC won't do SIO2PC so I thought I'd give this RespeQt thing a shot. I already had an SIO cable and a USB to serial TTL converter in my junk box so it didn't take very long.

I'm pleased that I've been able to boot up an old .ATR disk with minimal studying.  I hope to be able to do more after studying the docs a bit.  My thanks to the developers.

Oh, I'm running Windows 11 and my USB thingy has a CH340 chip.

Nick

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, stushug said:

Can I copy an atr file from respeQt to a real 1050 floppy drive and use it later? If so, how?

Thanks!

I FINALLY figured out how to copy files from RespeQt to my actual floppy drives. Can't believe it took me so long to do something so simple.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2015 at 5:54 PM, mytek said:

BTW for those that might be interested, the version of RespeQt that I used in Linux Mint 17.2 was the Debian 64-bit build available -here- in the RespeQt GitHub Repository. Can't say it would work out-of-the-box without dependencies, since I had already installed QT5 from the Software Manager before running this build. However with that said, the step-by-step worst case scenario to get this running under Linux Mint 17.2 would be...

1. Download RespeQt_r2_debian.8.2_x86_64.tar.gz
  2. Extract the files, and place the extracted RespecQt folder wherever you want it (my home folder worked well for me)
  3. Run RespecQt from that folder
  4. If you see any errors relating to missing dependencies, close the program, go to the Software Manager, do a search for QT5 and install it
  5. That should do it, now just go to Tools>Options to set-up your SIO2PC device (for SIO2PC-USB set port to: /dev/ttyUSB0)

If you are using an SIO2PC-USB such as the one made by Sloopy or Lotharek then its likely that you will also need to add yourself to the dialout group by going to the Linux terminal and entering the following line (replace $USER with your username and when requested, enter your password). You'll need to log-out and back in to have the changes take effect.

sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

If you want a desktop shortcut (launcher) create a text file on your desktop (see below) using either notepad or gedit giving it the name RespeQt.desktop (replace "username" with your own, and adjust the paths to match your setup).

[Desktop Entry]
Version=2
Name=RespeQt
Comment=Atari Disk Emulator
Exec=/home/username/RespeQt/RespeQt
Icon=/home/username/RespeQt/main-icon/RespeQt.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Accessories;

Note: Not sure about Sloopy's device but the Lotharek SIO2PC-USB also requires that the handshake method be specified as DSR.

- Michael

I followed those steps and when I run the launcher I get an error message "There was an error launching the application." 

Also, I followed these same instructions on my desktop computer and RespeQt ran right out of the box. Both it and my laptop are set up exactly the same with Linux Mint 21. I don't know why it works on the desktop but not on the laptop.

Edited by stushug

2 hours ago, stushug said:

I followed those steps and when I run the launcher I get an error message "There was an error launching the application." 

Also, I followed these same instructions on my desktop computer and RespeQt ran right out of the box. Both it and my laptop are set up exactly the same with Linux Mint 21. I don't know why it works on the desktop but not on the laptop.

Interesting. Obviously there's something different between the two systems that affects this. And if I had to guess it probably relates to the serial port hardware, assuming the RespeQt application runs in both machines.

Well at least you got it working in one instance ;)