IGNORED

RespeQt general discussion

Joey Z

2 hours ago, mytek said:

Interesting. Obviously there's something different between the two systems that affects this. And if I had to guess it probably relates to the serial port hardware, assuming the RespeQt application runs in both machines.

Well at least you got it working in one instance ;)

It does not run at all on my Linux Mint laptop. Having it run on my desktop is useless, it's nowhere near my Atari 800. I only tried installing it there for testing purposes.

For the laptop, my suggestion would be to install Windows via Virtualbox, and then run the Windows version of RespeQT from there. That's what I have currently setup on one of my Linux Mint machines and it works fine. And the Windows release seems a lot less fussy to get working.

I used Windows XP, but Win2K should work as well. Here's a link to a version I've used in the past: https://archive.org/details/enwin2000prosp4_202001

(serial number: F4PFP-HGXFB-QRVYK-C9J2Y-23PW6).

Good luck :)

4 hours ago, mytek said:

For the laptop, my suggestion would be to install Windows via Virtualbox, and then run the Windows version of RespeQT from there. That's what I have currently setup on one of my Linux Mint machines and it works fine. And the Windows release seems a lot less fussy to get working.

I used Windows XP, but Win2K should work as well. Here's a link to a version I've used in the past: https://archive.org/details/enwin2000prosp4_202001

(serial number: F4PFP-HGXFB-QRVYK-C9J2Y-23PW6).

Good luck :)

My laptop is a dual boot win 11 and Linux Mint 21. It will be simpler to just boot into windows when I want to run RespeQt. My problem is that I'm very stubborn and I hate to give up without figuring out what's keeping RespeQt from running in Mint on my laptop when it runs in Mint on my desktop. Thanks for your suggestion, though. I appreciate you taking time to answer me! Perhaps someone else may see this and know the answer.

• Like 1

Open a shell, change to the directory where the RespeQt binary is located and run "ldd RespeQt" - this will show you which libraries it needs.

If any of them show up as "not found" then install them via the package manager - otherwise RespeQt won't start.

It would have been better if respeqt had been distributed as a proper deb package then all required libraries would have been installed automatically (Qt really is a beast in that aspect).

so long,

Hias

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HiassofT said:

Open a shell, change to the directory where the RespeQt binary is located and run "ldd RespeQt" - this will show you which libraries it needs.

If any of them show up as "not found" then install them via the package manager - otherwise RespeQt won't start.

It would have been better if respeqt had been distributed as a proper deb package then all required libraries would have been installed automatically (Qt really is a beast in that aspect).

so long,

Hias

I knew if I didn't give up someone would come forward with a solution. I did as you suggested and found one missing library. I installed it it and... RespeQt is now running on my Linux Mint 21 laptop.

Thank you very much Hias.👏

I've been struggling with this for a few months and it's finally solved. Hopefully, some other users will see this and it helps them too.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/5/2015 at 10:38 PM, Kyle22 said:

I guess he doesn't change the PID's & stuff for the Mac version. I think I saw that somewhere while reading through his support page.

Anyway, I do *NOT* want to promote Ray in any way, but he explains how to un-do his damage at the bottom of this page here: http://atari8warez.com/support.html

Why would he want to prevent Windows from getting the driver automatically, and, in the case of recent 64 bit versions, not working at all?

I believe he is an egomaniac, and has to have his own custom version of everything. He is nothing but a script kiddie. (IMHO). :)

My browsers refuse to go to that link atari8warez.com/support.html says it is a dangerous link. Weird.

On 4/13/2023 at 11:03 AM, gespy said:

I made a video about how to install RespeQt on Linux.

What would really perhaps better still would be a bootable Linux on flash drive ISO image or Rufus thumb-disk image file which boots into whatever Linux which includes the RespecQt on the Linux. My favorite Linux are usually BackBox7 or LinuxMint20x. Helps avoid installing weeird stuff on Windows 11 which can hose your system. Been there done that got the tee shirt (you too?!)

On 12/15/2022 at 9:40 PM, stushug said:

My laptop is a dual boot win 11 and Linux Mint 21. It will be simpler to just boot into windows when I want to run RespeQt. My problem is that I'm very stubborn and I hate to give up without figuring out what's keeping RespeQt from running in Mint on my laptop when it runs in Mint on my desktop. Thanks for your suggestion, though. I appreciate you taking time to answer me! Perhaps someone else may see this and know the answer.

I always used to do that with windows 7-10 but then windows always came back at some point and do a Wednesday night security patch and trash my boot grub thing - repairing windows clever HELP was always hours of garbage. Sometimes when I can't get Mint to do something I just try BackBox linux instead and I've had a very good experience with backbox since back when it was version 4 or 5 (now at v8) https://www.backbox.org/download/

Edited by Ray Gillman

On 4/13/2023 at 12:03 PM, gespy said:

I made a video about how to install RespeQt on Linux.

I have MX Linux (Debian) and was able to compile RespeQt 5.3. It is able to mount and open ATR images I download from Internet. But I cannot add files to any of those ATR images (even as sudo). Also when I create an image (16 MB HD image), it always creates them as write protected, and so far have not found a way to change that to writeable. :(

On 10/30/2023 at 7:27 PM, Ray Gillman said:

I always used to do that with windows 7-10 but then windows always came back at some point and do a Wednesday night security patch and trash my boot grub thing - repairing windows clever HELP was always hours of garbage. Sometimes when I can't get Mint to do something I just try BackBox linux instead and I've had a very good experience with backbox since back when it was version 4 or 5 (now at v8) https://www.backbox.org/download/

Wow that backbox link is broken for a week now but the distrowatch torrents are still alive here if anyone cares.
https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11985

• Like 1