IGNORED

RespeQt general discussion

Joey Z

I just edited the link to the Windows binaries:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242422-respeqt-general-discussion/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3449150

I realized that there is one file missing in the zip file.

Everything worked fine on the PC with the QT development environment, but once started on a different machine, an error popup appears (runtime dependency).

So eiher all of you guys have installed Qt or nobody tried it out ;-)

Anyway, the link is corrected and the RespeQt starts properly now.

So here's the thing with atari8warez and releasing source:

AspeQt is GPL'ed. Atari8warez obtained the software and source to it under the GPL. Atari8warez distributes AspeQt freely, apparently. Therefore, he is legally obligated to provide source code under the GPL to anyone whom he distributes the software to. He has no choice, legally speaking, but to provide the source. His changes, must also be included in the source. Since he obtained the source upon which modern AspeQt is based under the GPL, he must release the source of his own changes to the program as well.

So if you download the binary version of the software, you have a legal right to obtain source from him, and if you wish to have the source, I suggest you do it. It cannot be dependent on whether you bought hardware from him, since he has made the software available to you.

EDIT: actually turns out he is currently violating the GPL

excerpt from the GPL, bolding important terms which have been violated:

1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.
You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

I cannot find any mention of the GPL in AspeQt, nor can I find a copy of the GPL.

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 2

You'll be lucky to get the full binary for free if things continue the way they're going (moving towards a pseudo-AtariMax/APE model), let alone the sources. The Windows binary was pulled from SourceForge recently and replaced with a readme file:

DOWNLOADS WILL NOW ONLY BE AVAILABLE FROM MY WEBSITE, PLEASE VISIT THE ASPEQT PAGE AT www.atari8warez.com

Interestingly there's no mention of ANY kind of license agreement anywhere that I can see, never mind GPL.

Pragmatism aside, I doubt most end users care as long as the thing works (while it's free, at least). From a development point of view: better to DIY than try to obtain source code from a developer who does not wish to work collaboratively.

• Like 1

Joey.

Ray is distributing binaries of the modified program and in such case the source code should be published as well. But on the other hand, to obtain legal support from the FSF all contributors would have to agree and transfer Copyrights to FSF, otherwise to enforce the GPL at least one of the contributors would have to go to court with him. Probably under Canadian jurisdiction :). It could be a great fun assuming that somebody has enough time and money but the problem is different: it's a hobby. Opensource is really a good thing for such hobby projects. Ray seems not to understand this. But i still believe in him :). Just my 2 cents.

W.

• Like 1

I see few changes that might sensibly be integrated into other versions (such as dropping support for drive # 15 just because SDX arbitrarily defaults to using drive O: for a RAMdisk).

From a development point of view: better to DIY than try to obtain source code from a developer who does not wish to work collaboratively.

Yesterday I submitted changes to the Github for dropping support for drive #15 :)

I also keep working on PCLINK, but this is more complicated as I expected.

The sio2bsd code, which I'm porting, is very unix-specific and has almost 5000 lines of code...

• Like 1

Sorry, I missunderstood you. From my point of view, no one needs so many drives anyway.

This change was done only in my fork and I will revert it.

Can you tell me more about advantages of using drives >D8: ?

personally, I never use them. I doubt many people do. but that's not really a good reason to remove a feature. Better to make a way to hide drives, IMO. If I had any time to work on RespeQt, my next change would probably be redoing the UI. I'd make it better suited to small screen sizes and probably introduce a 4-drive mode as well as the existing 1, 8, and 15 drive modes.

Funny discussion about having a drive #15 ...

Since SDX can manage 3 ramdisks at the same time and allows the user to define the drive id for it each loss in comparison to the current features is obsolete to me.

Please leave it as it is allowing the user to have a maximum at hand comprising 12 atrs and 3 ramdisks, meanwhile parking atrs on the drive ids of the used ramdisks.

• Like 1

You'll be lucky to get the full binary for free if things continue the way they're going (moving towards a pseudo-AtariMax/APE model), let alone the sources. The Windows binary was pulled from SourceForge recently and replaced with a readme file:

DOWNLOADS WILL NOW ONLY BE AVAILABLE FROM MY WEBSITE, PLEASE VISIT THE ASPEQT PAGE AT www.atari8warez.com
That happened because I had reported his project page to SourceForge. Their Terms of Service require all projects hosted on SF to be open-source, and rather than abiding to their requirements, Ray chose to remove the binary files and offer them for download on his website instead.

Interestingly there's no mention of ANY kind of license agreement anywhere that I can see, never mind GPL.

He removed the license.txt file from the archive, as well as removed all mentions of the licence from the Help/About window.

I am currently trying to get Ray's opinion on the issue, with predictably mediocre results.

Pragmatism aside, I doubt most end users care as long as the thing works (while it's free, at least).

I don't know if they care, has anyone tried to discuss the issue on Ray's own forums?

Joey.

Ray is distributing binaries of the modified program and in such case the source code should be published as well. But on the other hand, to obtain legal support from the FSF all contributors would have to agree and transfer Copyrights to FSF, otherwise to enforce the GPL at least one of the contributors would have to go to court with him. Probably under Canadian jurisdiction :).

Before going to court, someone could arrange a lawyer to contact his web host.

• Like 1

"And there is no development timeline from the new undertaker, as he himself admits that "he has no time to devote to the fork". So why take it over then? why pretend that you could do better?"

That would be because as an open project, other people are able to contribute to RespeQt now. Regardless of whether I have time currently or not, I will continue to process pull requests on github for anyone trying to add a reasonable change to RespeQt.

Doesn't the Qt development suite itself also bind the developer to GPL unless a commercial license is purchased?

LGPL allows the libraries to be compiled against without statically linking, without the program being automatically under the GPL, I think.

I'm going to ask this here, and please direct me to any thread or forum that might better answer this question.

I have an original SIO2PC that I made.. 20 years ago? I want to test it, see that it works.

IS there an original circuit diagram that I can check my work against?

Does this software work with the original circuit? or what do I need to use? I have plenty of old PC/laptop hardware around with 9 pin serials.. I even have a T40 dock with a 25pin port (which is what I originally built it with)

Thanks

James

I'm going to ask this here, and please direct me to any thread or forum that might better answer this question.

I have an original SIO2PC that I made.. 20 years ago? I want to test it, see that it works.

IS there an original circuit diagram that I can check my work against?

Does this software work with the original circuit? or what do I need to use? I have plenty of old PC/laptop hardware around with 9 pin serials.. I even have a T40 dock with a 25pin port (which is what I originally built it with)

Thanks

James

RespeQt will work with your old serial SIO2PC, but you need either Linux or Windows XP SP3 minimum (probably, feel free to try with earlier though).

There seems to be a difference between the win version and linux version. This demo

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/250787-arsantica-3-demo-released-at-revision-2016/

won't run through from the linux version of RespeQt 3. It stops at sector 361.

From R3 Win and on real hardware (1050) it works fine.

post-18804-0-48771100-1459320874_thumb.png

Does the custom SIO loader causes this?