IGNORED

Want another 2600 need help

bellview17

I'm still green, but for my money, a Light Sixer's the best option. All the layout benefits of the H6 for those games, like Space Shuttle, that require the player to use the console switches. Generally cheaper than H6ers, but with the beefier motherboard shielding the 4-switchers seem to lack. Better shielding and original layout PLUS that cool woodgrain make the Light Six my favorite option -- coming out ahead in hardware (shielding), user interface (layout), and aesthetic (sweet, sweet woodgrain).

Unless you can get a Heavy for cheap. Then go for that, I guess?

Just my two cents. Happy hunting.

I'd go with the 6 switch option. Heavy Sixer or Light Sixer. If you want to save more money. Then it is best to go with a Light Sixer unit. 6 switchers have the far better color palette. These models go for $30-$40 dollars. I believe a Sears Light Sixer is a tad cheaper on average than an Atari. 4 switch woodys and Vaders have the same motherboard, just different shells. They are dime a dozen but don't produce the best color visuals than a six switcher. Juniors were cheaply made and the parts are not as high quality. I would go to the marketplace on here and post a wanted thread that you are looking for such and such. You will get a lot of responses there. I'd stay away from ebay. Many sellers overprice Atari systems. At atariage many of the sellers are reputable and will sell much cheaper and a unit in fantastic shape on the most part.

I like the light sixers for everyday use and also the 7800. If space is at a premium, the 7800 is a great machine. I don't have much of a 7800 collection (use multicart) but you can't beat the console for usability.

Where are you located? Someone local here might be willing to hook you up. (I'm in the SF Bay area and have a couple of machines with craigslist written all over them but prefer to sell to fellow collectors/enthusiasts.)

I actually prefer the Sears models.... Better looking wood grain. I have an Atari 4 switch now, but would prefer a 6 switch Sears model.

To each his own. :)

They hold up quite well. I've been using this one since summer of '86 or '87. Got it used at a flea market for $10 back then. Good times. :)

post-25215-0-28709900-1441671255_thumb.jpg

My childhood 2600 was a light sixer. But when I went shopping for a "real atari" (after not being 100% satisfied with any of the flashbacks) I found a Sears Light Sixer for about $15 less than a comparable Atari Light Sixer.

For gaming itself, you can't beat the light sixer. As others have said, some games use the console switches for functionality, and it's a lot easier to toggle the difficulty switches on a sixer.

If you are collecting, then a heavy sixer has the added rarity of only having a 1 year production run. But for everyday gaming a light sixer gives you the same functionality of a heavy sixer without the cost.

• Like 2

The only negative point I can think of about six-switch systems is that sometimes the later Atari Corp. cartridges (with the fatter shells) don't fit very well. Possibly Tigervision as well.

That's good to know. All of my gaming is done now using a harmony cart. Eliminates wear and tear on the slot. A light sixer and a harmony cart. No flashback can compete with that. :D

• Like 4

I like the light sixers for everyday use and also the 7800. If space is at a premium, the 7800 is a great machine. I don't have much of a 7800 collection (use multicart) but you can't beat the console for usability.

Where are you located? Someone local here might be willing to hook you up. (I'm in the SF Bay area and have a couple of machines with craigslist written all over them but prefer to sell to fellow collectors/enthusiasts.)

I am in NC , went looking local and found nothing …