IGNORED

Is it time? Flashback II

1980gamer

I'm really sad the INTV version never made it to blowout prices. I was hoping to stock up on controllers for $10/pair.

If you remember the Inty Flashback price dropped to $20 for a short time around Christmas Eve. That felt like a bargain when I bought two more units for gifts.

Edited by TestaOn
  • Like 1

I'd been going off of the 2 million number from the ColecoVision's Wikipedia page (same as freewheel's post) but I dug a little deeper and found several fan sites and AA posts that say 6 million. Now I'm scratching my head...

Yeah, that's why I've never been satisfied with the numbers. I tend to give ranges when there is no reliable evidence for either number. It definitely sold 2 million+, but how far beyond that is difficult to ascertain. I personally doubt the 6 million number given its short time in the market (no matter how popular it was in that time), but wouldn't be surprised if it matched or slightly exceed the Intellivision's lifetime numbers.

EDIT: Referencing what I researched (should have looked there first!) in the ColecoVision chapter of my book, Vintage Game Consoles, the only indisputable fact I was able to find was that Coleco sold 1.4 million by August 1, 1983 (and were the only videogame company to post a profit at that time). It's unlikely they would have sold close to 4 million MORE units between late 1983 and the end of 1985. However, it's quite likely that they would have gotten close to 3 million units or so, which is why it's not unlikely that they sold as much or more than the Intellivision did (and in about 3 years versus about 10).

Edited by Bill Loguidice

1.4 million units August 1983.

They couldn't have and wouldn't have spent the money to manufacture 1.6 million more units!

They were bleeding nearly as bad as Mattel with the $700 Adam disaster, Roller Controller, Steering Wheel and Atari Adapter in the pipeline.

Not to mention Gemini etc.

Just a guess, But I'd say NO new hardware was produced after the first quarter of 84.

They couldn't give the Adam away! $500 and $750 scholarships with purchase of $199 Expansion Adam and $299 full Adam.

How many people got to cash those checks?

MAYBE...Coleco counted units sold as Colecovision or Adam would count as a Colecovision System. Being they could both play the same Carts.

But that wouldn't be a good source of distinct customer base being as many of the same people bought both systems.... I am one of them.

I always liked the colecovision, Lady Bug, Venture etc. But I only knew one other person that had one as a kid. I had several friends with Intellivision and a ton of people with the 2600.

How's that for in depth, comprehensive, detailed scientific analysis! LOL

The only person I knew that had a Colecovision was my uncle. Mainly purchased it for the free Cabbage Patch doll for my cousin that Christmas. Seemed to be a shortage then on the dolls and purchasing a CV might have been the easiest or only way to secure one.

Anyway, played the hell out of DK, but when my uncle got the 2600 adapter, we'd bring over our Atari games and mostly played them. :lol:

I mostly go by what I've seen in the wild over the years (and I've been at this for over 20). It's unscientific as hell, but it's a sampling from many thousands of consoles I've seen in people's houses, garage sales, flea markets, thrift shops, pawn shops, retro stores, etc:

2600s were sold by the bucketload. Intellivisions are definitely the next most common sightings. It took me several years before I even found my second Coleco system. 5200s and 7800s are rare as hen's teeth by comparison. O^2s are fairly rare. Arcadias and Astrocades might as well never have been manufactured.

And then there are eleventy billion NES decks. Twice that many Playstations. And 800 times that many PS2s. And a surprising number of original Xboxes (I think I'm up to 9 now, and I already shed 2 of them trading in for credit on an Xbone this summer).

My experiences are skewed by being in Canada, granted. The 5200/7800 were barely sold here, near as I can tell. I see a lot more of them (and their games) in the US.

I was the only one in my neighborhood and even in my school class that had an Intellivision. It was mostly regarded as "for rich kids." I knew one kid with an Odyssey2, a bunch of kids with Atari, and only one with a ColecoVision.

His name was Joey.

Bastard, devil-spawn, spoiled bratty kid from over-indulgent divorced parents, Joey. :mad:

I've related some stories of Joey before. Here are the ones I could find.

I was the only one in my neighborhood and even in my school class that had an Intellivision. It was mostly regarded as "for rich kids." I knew one kid with an Odyssey2, a bunch of kids with Atari, and only one with a ColecoVision.

His name was Joey.

Bastard, devil-spawn, spoiled bratty kid from over-indulgent divorced parents, Joey. :mad:

I've related some stories of Joey before. Here are the ones I could find.

Man I had one of those kids down the street too... He did that same, made us watch them play DK...It must of been something in the coating of the colecovision PCB that they inhaled , that caused them to be such big @@@holes.

lol

Man I had one of those kids down the street too... He did that same, made us watch them play DK...It must of been something in the coating of the colecovision PCB that they inhaled , that caused them to be such big @@@holes.

lol

Maybe Joey moved to your neighborhood. I have a hard time thinking there could be more than one of him in the world. That would mean the world is a lot more cruel than I thought. :?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect FB prices will resume normal $28-60 ramping up to the holidays. Who knows after. I'll be looking for sub $20 deals.

$60 is a rip off. I paid $30 a piece for two of them and $20 a piece for two of them. I no longer have a backup to my pi modded one so i am going to try to get one on the cheap again.