IGNORED

Game titles I like to see appearing on A8 hardware...

kiwilove

And one missing game for sure is Carnival.Very simple graphics and sound. I have always loved the Arcade Version but unfortunately I've never found a serious A8 conversion. :(

Carnival is great! One of the 2600's better titles, in my opinion.

An A8 version has been done: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-carnival_899.html

I have the cassette. I'd gladly dump it if someone can tell me how.

• Like 1

With Pole Position there's very little scope for improvement, the road is done by using pre-rendered graphics and LMS each scanline + a DLI kernal which takes care of HSCROL, colour and PMG positioning looks after the look of the thing.

As such it wouldn't be easy to improve the car graphics or add anything else. Even the roadside signs are just expanded missiles which means no detail can be added.

I'm not well versed with the Atari hardware to know what is possible, and what simply isn't.

I'm not really a fan of ported games - unless that game is something special, and worth the effort.

I'd rather see someone trying to evolve a standard game format along it's evolutionary path, adding extras to make it more interesting.

While I am not really a games player these days, I am still very much interested in game design.

eg. With Chimera - I can see that there is simply not enough happening in that game. Games are about constructing a new environment for the player to explore in different ways, and to be interactive within that environment. All games do this to a certain extent.

With Chimera - maybe have different pick ups that enhance the main character - adding shooting ability, jumping, faster movement.

To have a go and try some experimenting? within that particular format. Because there is no deadline - you can do this.

Like the Hollywood entertainment industry - and other forms of media, there seem to be this sticking with a standard format - and not venturing into new possibilities. Of course, there is the possibility of it not being successful as such - in that it may not end up being such a fine effort, when finished.

Harvey

• Like 1

With Pole Position there's very little scope for improvement, the road is done by using pre-rendered graphics and LMS each scanline + a DLI kernal which takes care of HSCROL, colour and PMG positioning looks after the look of the thing.

As such it wouldn't be easy to improve the car graphics or add anything else. Even the roadside signs are just expanded missiles which means no detail can be added.

What about adding more circuits? It was always a bit disappointing to have only one circuit

One suggestion I have - is a Platform Construction Kit. I think Mr Robot and his Robot Factory had one? But I was not that impressed by that game, to want to construct more screens for it. It would be a ton of work for sure - and I would like to see it explore new things not done before?

Multiplexed sprites would be nice (it'll be best not to have them on the same horizontal line or else flicker will be present) - with a few software sprites that can go anywhere. Special characters will enable faster/slower movement, affect your jumping ability bigger/higher? jumps - anything else you think characters/blocks can be useful for? Could freeze you temporarily so that the baddies can get you. Moving left to right quickly will eventually free you.

A two button gamepad option would be nice for jumping and shooting? Plug a Genesis/MegaDrive gamepad in.

Of course this would be a utility screen designer to run on a PC that can write out a demo with your level(s) up and running to run on A8 hardware, with Altirra running it for a quick test.

Considering how long it takes to write a game - this way means that the player can create their own game(s). If they are not into designing their own graphics, they can simply use some already created as examples - and only need to design their own levels - and test them.

This could be part of an answer - to how few new games there are appearing - that you need to start creating your own?

Harvey

• Like 1

One suggestion I have - is a Platform Construction Kit. I think Mr Robot and his Robot Factory had one? But I was not that impressed by that game, to want to construct more screens for it. It would be a ton of work for sure - and I would like to see it explore new things not done before?

Sounds like AGD for ZX Spectrum. Runs on Spectrum, you design screens, map, sprites, objects, has scripting editor for extra customization.

Best examples on how it works are here:

http://www.randomkak.blogspot.co.uk/p/agd-video-tutorials.html

I have printed out manual and already started on figuring out bits and pieces needed for PC based version for 6502 :)

• 4 months later...

Edit: Sam Journey - well, if someone coverts it as custom VBXE core, or else dream on. ;)

Such jump n run / platformer could be THE reason to buy a VBXE board. ;) :-D

Carnival is great! One of the 2600's better titles, in my opinion.

An A8 version has been done: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-carnival_899.html

I have the cassette. I'd gladly dump it if someone can tell me how.

:? Looks like it's a basic program, so you could cload it and save "D:carnival.bas" to disk on a SIO2SD device or something else and upload an ATR Image :?

I'd love to see a conversion of Space Zap.

It's a simple enough game, it's black and white. The "color" is produced by an overlay on the b/w CRT so very static. The essence of this game is timing and the fact that you have four buttons to "aim" and one button to fire. So you have to press 2 buttons to fire a shot. This should be done with joystick of course but it would be easy enough to create a dedicated controller with big buttons.

Naturally this game was an inspiration (or copy ?) for Cosmic Arc on the 2600 (but it doesn't have the rescue aliens from the planet scene...) and the meteors come in 4 instead of 3 directions.

The game is all about reflexes, graphics and sound aren't so important. Everyone who sees it first time thinks it's just another boring b/w game but once they play it they get hooked. It's very popular in the arcade collecting scene.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Space Zap is sort of like the great grandfather to Plants vs Zombies.

As it would happen, I did Space Attack back in 1983. It was the first or second full game I ever did on Atari, and the first incorporating assembly routines within a Basic program.

I did the game based on the how to play guide alone from the book "How to master the video games". I don't think I've ever seen a real machine, maybe played it once or twice in Mame.

The version I did only has enemies coming at you, they don't shoot then disappear like the arcade.

space_attack_3.gif

The explosion of your ship sequence... heavily infuenced by a popular game of the time, no prize for guessing which one.

Download from Atarimania - http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-space-attack_27933.html

• Like 5

Space Zap is sort of like the great grandfather to Plants vs Zombies.

As it would happen, I did Space Attack back in 1983. It was the first or second full game I ever did on Atari, and the first incorporating assembly routines within a Basic program.

I did the game based on the how to play guide alone from the book "How to master the video games". I don't think I've ever seen a real machine, maybe played it once or twice in Mame.

The version I did only has enemies coming at you, they don't shoot then disappear like the arcade.

space_attack_3.gif

The explosion of your ship sequence... heavily infuenced by a popular game of the time, no prize for guessing which one.

Download from Atarimania - http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-space-attack_27933.html

It's similar to Atari VCS Imagic's game Cosmic Ark first stage:

post-12528-0-68754200-1455406654_thumb.gif

SimCity? I just remember I have played it a lot on my PalmOS devices, years ago.

Guess the graphics are simple enough so the A8 can do it. Even the lo resolution of my oldest Palm m130 (160x160) was okay. ;-)

No big sound is needed so all cpu time is free for calculating.

post-41320-0-40238000-1455527738.gif post-41320-0-05389800-1455527739.gif post-41320-0-54981000-1455527739.jpg

What do you guys think? Is it possible?

• Like 3

SimCity?...

Co-incidentally I took at look at the Micropolis sources yesterday and quite intrigued by the MicropolisJ (Java) port as it makes cleaner reading. Java Grinder could be tried here.

Although the modern sources cater for windowing, making it a candidate maybe for a running on JFC's O/S, the display routines could be substituted with ones specific to the A8.

The C64 and BBC ports were lacking some features I believe and so a direct port may not be the best approach, though seeing how some of this was done in 6502 would be interesting.

Certainly I'd think taking advantage of a cartridge (or banked memory) to supply the larger code base and animations for the graphics would be the way to go.

SimCity? I just remember I have played it a lot on my PalmOS devices, years ago.

Guess the graphics are simple enough so the A8 can do it. Even the lo resolution of my oldest Palm m130 (160x160) was okay. icon_winking.gif

No big sound is needed so all cpu time is free for calculating.

attachicon.gifsimcity1.gif attachicon.gifsimcity2.gif attachicon.gifsimcity3.jpg

"Possible"? It was being converted from the BBC Micro version a few years back by XXL, until he supposedly got a cease and desist notice.

Sim City conversion

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1