IGNORED

Cheap but Effective

Madi

True.. this FTDI clone breakout board is the one I used to build my SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device. It has all extra pins such as RXL/TXL (for external LEDs) and DSR/CTS handshaking lines.

In addition, it has 6 pin panel (VCC, GRD, CTS, DTR, RXD and TXD) which is all what you may need to build SIO2PC or 10502PC device. The drawing/connection in post #16 applies.

The device can be mounted inside the Atari computer (SIO2PC) or inside the 1050 drive (SIO2PC) or even as 10502PC but the Atari computer must be disconnected from the line.

Actually, I built my first FTDI based breakout (SIO2PC only) inside the disk drive (at the pack side as see in the picture):

attachicon.gif2mhiffd.jpg

madi

Can I connect the 6 pins that are coming out of the FT232RL to the sio port on the disk drive..?

This is the one I got,I used it on my Gotek drive..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161780734468?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Spanner

Just connected it to my disk drive and it work first time ...wow,so this is what is in a SIO2PC plug then..?

I was thinking doing this before I saw the thread,Just loaded Jumpman Junior,from a multi disk with other games on..Great.

This will do until mine arrives.. :D

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

The Connection is very simple and straightforward

I was in the process to make illustration on the FT232RL board that you put the link for.

I will put it here for others to look at. It may one day come handy.

What I like about this board is that it has all the connections that are expected from 232RL chip and more. i.e lights for data transferring/receiving and all handshaking lines (DSR,CTS,RI)

post-37046-0-12808100-1472341410_thumb.png

madi

• Like 3

Thanks,need to do one for SIO2PC too,that how i am using mine at the moment,without a diode.

These chips are used a lot,they use one in the Easy Flash 3 for the C64 too.

Don't know why but I tried to load a cas file and it started to load then came up with loading error,I tried to load Bounty Bob Strikes Back..?

Whats the second program called you are using to copy disks is it Prosystem..?

post-37046-0-96071200-1447807819_thumb.p

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

The diode is only needed when virtual environment (e.g. use of PC as a disk drive) and real peripherals are attached to Atari computer at the same time.

This only applies to clone FT2323RL breakout based chips. The diode is not needed if the breakout board is based genuine chip.

post-37046-0-32167600-1472394537_thumb.jpg

madi

Edit: I use Prosystem to copy from/to disk drive (10502PC). No Atari Computer involved

When using the device as SIO2PC I always use COPY2000 under AspeQt/RespeQt environment.

Edit2: Here is a good link tutorial about file/image copy using COPY2000 (using AspeQt/RespeQt and SIO2PC).

Regarding Bounty Bob Strikes Back CAS is not loading, I have no I dea. I will see if I can help.

Edited by Madi
  • Like 1

It weird ,it loads up the first part of the program,where it shows how many minutes left to load then,at the top of the screen where it say "Now Loading" it comes up with "Loading Error".I have tried other cas files and they do the same,if I untick the option "Use custom baud rate for cassette emulation" it will not even load that far. I have mine in SIO2PC mode.

It loads disk images fine no problem.I might put mine in a SIO plug,I have a spare one,but it might stick out abit.we will see.

EDIT: I have installed the drivers automatically,when you plug the usb cable in,Windows installs it,should I download the drives from FTDI website..??

I might make a video of this and post it on there soon,I let you know.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrG1jnbvykIcLzfBFxC2GrA

Edited by Spanner

True.. this FTDI clone breakout board is the one I used to build my SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device. It has all extra pins such as RXL/TXL (for external LEDs) and DSR/CTS handshaking lines.

In addition, it has 6 pin panel (VCC, GRD, CTS, DTR, RXD and TXD) which is all what you may need to build SIO2PC or 10502PC device. The drawing/connection in post #16 applies.

The device can be mounted inside the Atari computer (SIO2PC) or inside the 1050 drive (SIO2PC) or even as 10502PC but the Atari computer must be disconnected from the line.

Actually, I built my first FTDI based breakout (SIO2PC only) inside the disk drive (at the pack side as see in the picture):

attachicon.gif2mhiffd.jpg

madi

Nice! I've got my home-made dual SIO2PC/10502PC installed in my happy 1050! Mine is the original RS232 version, so I have 2 RS232 ports on the back. Pictures can be seen here in this thread: http://atari.boards.net/thread/986/step-using-again-goodbye-aspeqt?page=1&scrollTo=4784

I have it in SIO2PC mode with it connected to my disk drive sio port,it works with loading atr files,loads them fine,how do I get the Atari to see my 1050 disk drive,so SIO2PC is D1 and disk drive is D2.I have tried changing the switch at the back,but still no luck,in dos 2.5 it says error 138 Device timeout..??

Edited by Spanner

I have it in SIO2PC mode with it connected to my disk drive sio port,it works with loading atr files,loads them fine,how do I get the Atari to see my 1050 disk drive,so SIO2PC is D1 and disk drive is D2.I have tried changing the switch at the back,but still no luck,in dos 2.5 it says error 138 Device timeout..??

The pictures in the previous link you had provided gave little details of your device build.

Theoretically, the FT232RL breakout boards are USB to Serial converters. They do not have RS232 DB9 output unless a "USB 2.0 to Serial RS232 DB9 9Pin Adapter Converter" is used to provide the DB9 output.

There are many older SIO2PC and 10502PC devices that do RS232 to TTL conversion (and vice versa). The most wildly spread designs are the ones based on MAX-232. Some devices were even older. Te were based on 14C89 chips and they do work great.

So, unless I know specifications of your device build, my suggestions will be a kind of hit and miss.

For the SIO2PC devices to work correctly in mixed virtual/real environment, a small signal diode must be installed on pin 3 (Data-in) of Atari SIO connector. (this doesn't apply to genuine FT232RL based boards)

The the presence of the diode, the SIO2PC device can be configured as D1 (via AspeQt/RespeQt) and the 1050 Disk drive is switched (from the rear of the drive through the sliding switch) to D2.

madi

Edited by Madi

All it say on it underneath is "FTDI232" where is the build number..?

I am a little confused. You mentioned that the device is based on FTDI232. So, do you mean that your device is built using FTDI232 chip? (not the breakout board)

In his case, it would be possible to connect the chip to RS-232 DB9 port (home built). Regardless, a small diode is needed.

Examine the Atari SIO 3 (data in ). If it does't have the mall diode coming from SIO 3 pin to TXD of the FTDI 232 chip, then install one. This will solve the mixed D1/D2 device connections problem.

Other than that, I have no clue.

madi

• Like 1

Now I have another problem,I have connected the FTDI SIO2PC to another pc and when it reading the image it stop like its having a problem reading it and like 5 to 10 seconds later it starts reading again,sometime it don't start and read error comes up,anyone know why,it works fine on my other pc that has Windows 10 pro on it too..??

Edited by Spanner

Open Aspeqt/RespQt software (assuming that it is the software you are using) on the older PC go to options and examine the baud rate sitting. (see the attached picture)

Be sure that the Options on the AspeQt/RespeQt for the New PC is identical to that on old one.

post-37046-0-66956900-1472904686_thumb.png

madi.

Spanner Wrote:

I had a problem with the computer seen the drive,what I did was..

I copy atr files with Copy 2000,so you load up the atr of Copy 2000 in slot 1,made sure you change the switch at the back of the drive so the computer(atari) sees it as D2(the swich is on the left,facing the back of the drive,you need a pen or a screwdriver,put it in the slot and push it to the right to change device number),press and hold Option while turning on the computer,when Copy 2000 says you disk drive,EG D2,D3,make sure you don't have a image in that slot.

The attached picture shows the position of the switch on the rear of the disk drive as D2.
The other possible issue for the Atari not to see the Disk Drive is when the 232 chip based board doesn’t have a forward diode (simulates an open collector circuit). This is very common with most FT232RL based breakout boards (clones).
Based on the pictures you posted in the above post, your device is an SIO2PC where a counterfeit FT232RL chip was used to build the board. Now if this is the one you are having the problem with where Atari is not able to recognize the Disk Drive, then just install a small signal diode somewhere in the white wire between TXD of the board and Data In line of Atari’s SIO connector (pin 3) . See SIO2PC pictures in the previous post on this link.
madi

post-37046-0-72989000-1473090104_thumb.jpg

All ok now,it was the switch,it was in the wrong position,I can load and write atr files now,only problem now is that I can't load cas files,just don't load and get a loading error.. :? :mad: ,Maybe you could try it and post the results here,thanks for all the help,you're a star :thumbsup: :-D

Edited by Spanner

All ok now,it was the switch,it was in the wrong position,I can load and write atr files now,only problem now is that I can't load cas files,just don't load and get a loading error.. :? :mad: ,Maybe you could try it and post the results here,thanks for all the help,you're a star :thumbsup: :-D

If you can attach some of those .CAS files/images for others to test it will be nice. Or, at least give exact names.

madi

Yeah sure here you go..

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

and Bruce Lee

They are both US Gold games.

See attachments below.

1- Bruce Lee _ US Gold.CAS

Lodas and run on my NTSC - 800XL using SIO2PC under AspeQt. I also, ran it successfully on Altirra emulator (PAL and NTSC).

2- Bounty Bob Strikes Back! _ US Gold.cas

Crashes during loading on my NTSC- 800XL and on Altirra (NTSC). However it run fine on Altirra (PAL).

It looks as if this CAS version of the game uses some type of PAL detection code. Which means it will crash when it is loaded on NTSC Atari computers.

Look here for more info:

madi

Edited by Madi

• 2 years later...

The diode is only needed when virtual environment (e.g. use of PC as a disk drive) and real peripherals are attached to Atari computer at the same time.

This only applies to clone FT2323RL breakout based chips. The diode is not needed if the breakout board is based genuine chip.

attachicon.gifsio2pc.jpg

madi

Edit: I use Prosystem to copy from/to disk drive (10502PC). No Atari Computer involved

When using the device as SIO2PC I always use COPY2000 under AspeQt/RespeQt environment.

Edit2: Here is a good link tutorial about file/image copy using COPY2000 (using AspeQt/RespeQt and SIO2PC).

Regarding Bounty Bob Strikes Back CAS is not loading, I have no I dea. I will see if I can help.

attachicon.gifsio2pc.jpg

madi

Help, built this, and all I get when I boot the A800 is the sound like it's trying to find a drive and the RX light flashing on the FT232, any ideas? I am using RespeQT on a Mac and the Mac sees the FT232 fine as a device.

Thanks,

Gavin

• 4 years later...