IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 20 is up!

Rick Reynolds

In this episode, we review the Elektronite / First Star Software game Boulder Dash. We interview the programmer Scott Nudds, as well as the president of First Star Software, Richard Spitalny. There's also Feedback, News, Mentions and George - and we discuss some format changes for the show.

http://www.intellivisionaries.com

• Like 10

Looking forward to a listen!

Would put link on the website, but having a bit of trouble w/ the host right now. They "upgraded the hardware" and in so doing have managed to break my ability for the time being to actually log onto the site's database and other important functions. :mad: So, once that's restored, hopefully some updates.

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 1

Great episode so far! Listening while performing surgery on a SVA.. I enjoy the Pittsburgh Dad sound bytes especially, being a fellow 'yinzer' myself. :)

Thanks! You can credit Rick for the 'Pixburg' related references and corrections.

Maybe my brain isn't fully functional yet as I sip my morning coffee, but...

SVA = ?

Student Veteran of America?

Smelly Victorian Armchair?

Sweaty Vaudeville Actor?

* I hope it's not the 3rd one, for both of your sakes.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

Finished listening to it while driving to work today. Nearly got into an accident while laughing my ass off at the "Keith-Throbbin-Son" rendition at the end...now we need a mix with the music...

Haha.. That was our friend Ferg From the Atari 2600 Game By Game Podcast. I'll probably do a remix of that with music soon.

Edited by nurmix

Thanks! You can credit Rick for the 'Pixburg' related references and corrections.

Maybe my brain isn't fully functional yet as I sip my morning coffee, but...

SVA = ?

Student Veteran of America?

Smelly Victorian Armchair?

Sweaty Vaudeville Actor?

* I hope it's not the 3rd one, for both of your sakes.

SVA = (Sears) Super Video Arcade :-D

I wouldn't mind the change in format as long as it truly gets things flowing more regularly (even if it means being expelled from shinto's land of game by games). I already piecemeal out listening so it lasts longer :). A side benefit is you would be able to interview guests/programmers related to games you might be 40 or 50 away and just release it ala Antic. Then if/when you get to the deep dive you'll have a piece you can just drop in ' from the vault', with maybe a short update based on questions brought up while doing the deep dive.

Sad to say, but nobody's getting any younger and just like Antic, it might be worth getting all the stories you can while people are still around.

One piece I don't think would go well by itself in the feed might be the listener interviews, package one up with the news perhaps.

Thanks gavvv, we're definitely talking about what's a minimal amount of "good material" that makes the episode fun to listen to. I don't think that just a listener interview would make for a full episode. The current plan is to include news, feedback, and some kind of "what have you been up to lately that might be of interest" kind of discussion in all episodes. But how much other material needs to be included as well to keep the episodes interesting to listen to is something we're debating a bit.

Thanks gavvv, we're definitely talking about what's a minimal amount of "good material" that makes the episode fun to listen to. I don't think that just a listener interview would make for a full episode. The current plan is to include news, feedback, and some kind of "what have you been up to lately that might be of interest" kind of discussion in all episodes. But how much other material needs to be included as well to keep the episodes interesting to listen to is something we're debating a bit.

Programmer interviews and deep-dive analysis of the games. That to me is the recipe. Everything else is fluff. :)

Now, that is not intended to spark another angry debate about the merits of "pause technology" vs. length of podcasts. That is just my honest opinion of the only parts I find of interest.

Carry on.

dZ.

Oh boy, I love to eat me some bread-n-buttah, but at the bare minimum the bread has to be warmed if not fresh out-of-the-oven. But then again... since I don't get to eat bread very often - maybe every six weeks, as it seems lately - I don't think just bread with butter will satisfy my cravings. I might well prefer to have it be my grandma's famous pepperoni bread, made with homemade Italian fennel sausage, onion, garlic, fontina, and red peppers dressing up that incredibly airy focaccia-dough bread. No, not a pizza... roll that all up in a long wide loaf and bake it at 375 for 30 minutes just like grandma did it, slice it diagonally and thick so the pieces are extra-large helpings. And since sometimes I won't be eating it until it's a day-old, there is nothing wrong with tossing each slice into the toaster oven, making the outside crunchy and the inside chewy, spread it with a thick layer of olive oil butter, and dip it in some freshly made tomato sauce. Timeless... enduring... for-the-ages... and DELIZIOSO!

• Like 2

Oh boy, I love to eat me some bread-n-buttah, but at the bare minimum the bread has to be warmed if not fresh out-of-the-oven. But then again... since I don't get to eat bread very often - maybe every six weeks, as it seems lately - I don't think just bread with butter will satisfy my cravings. I might well prefer to have it be my grandma's famous pepperoni bread, made with homemade Italian fennel sausage, onion, garlic, fontina, and red peppers dressing up that incredibly airy focaccia-dough bread. No, not a pizza... roll that all up in a long wide loaf and bake it at 375 for 30 minutes just like grandma did it, slice it diagonally and thick so the pieces are extra-large helpings. And since sometimes I won't be eating it until it's a day-old, there is nothing wrong with tossing each slice into the toaster oven, making the outside crunchy and the inside chewy, spread it with a thick layer of olive oil butter, and dip it in some freshly made tomato sauce. Timeless... enduring... for-the-ages... and DELIZIOSO!

Save me a piece would you please...

Programmer interviews and deep-dive analysis of the games. That to me is the recipe. Everything else is fluff. :)

So long as you extend "programmer" to include anyone involved in Intellivision-related production.

I'd love to hear Joe Z. talk about emulators. Or rev talk about producing CIB games as a one-man operation. Or one of the art designers from the Mattel days. Or a marketing person from the INTV Corp. days. That kind of thing. *Some* of those people may also be programmers, but the production and business side of it interests me almost as much - if people like that are available, anyway. If nurmix hisself wasn't the dude making the FB adapter cables, I'd love to hear a 15-20 minute interview with him. Anyone who actually knows something about the subject, even if it's not strictly technical or about a game per se.

Why yes, when I watch the news I do tend to tune out "man on the street" stuff - why do you ask? :P

• Like 2

So long as you extend "programmer" to include anyone involved in Intellivision-related production.

I'd love to hear Joe Z. talk about emulators. Or rev talk about producing CIB games as a one-man operation. Or one of the art designers from the Mattel days. Or a marketing person from the INTV Corp. days. That kind of thing. *Some* of those people may also be programmers, but the production and business side of it interests me almost as much - if people like that are available, anyway. If nurmix hisself wasn't the dude making the FB adapter cables, I'd love to hear a 15-20 minute interview with him. Anyone who actually knows something about the subject, even if it's not strictly technical or about a game per se.

Why yes, when I watch the news I do tend to tune out "man on the street" stuff - why do you ask? :P

Nah, who wants to hear Rev talk about bacon and snow levels?

Just kidding! :rolling:

Personally, I prefer to hear about the technical details of games, but I don't get tired of listening to Keith talk about the company and their antics back then. :)

I do agree that the "man on the street" stuff is just too pedestrian. (see what I did there! :lol: Oh gawd! I kill me! :rolling:)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Amusing to listen to a publisher "fess up" that he supports current IP law. No shit - you're still making money 30 years later, from the works of others. I wonder if he still pays royalties to the original Boulder Dash programmers, given that he directly says that it's important for creators of works to continue to profit off their efforts.

/semi-troll

Although he doesn't seem to understand IP law. Things don't "fall into the Public Domain" anymore, and haven't for decades. First Star's rights to Boulder Dash would be just as valid today if they hadn't published a darned thing since 1984.

And you sure as hell aren't "confusing the marketplace" if you release a product without insane DRM on it. Plenty of stuff is still released (even today) with zero copy protection. No one is confused by this and people line up to pay money for it, if it's a good product.

Amusing to listen to a publisher "fess up" that he supports current IP law. No shit - you're still making money 30 years later, from the works of others. I wonder if he still pays royalties to the original Boulder Dash programmers, given that he directly says that it's important for creators of works to continue to profit off their efforts.

According to that interview, it sounded like yes, the original programmers still receive royalties.

According to that interview, it sounded like yes, the original programmers still receive royalties.

That's amazing if so (I didn't quite pick that part up). The vast, vast majority of IP owners tend to operate on the premise of "we bought it, so too bad" - which IS how the law works. They of course try to defend our current 85+ year laws as "this way creators get compensated for their work", which is just laughable.

But those that still do, I'll applaud (somewhat - copyright duration is still retardedly long).

Edit: went back and re-listened, and you're right, he says that they still do. I kinda lost interest towards the end - just a bit too much puffery going on. He kinda comes across as a sleazy New York Lawyer type unfortunately.