IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 20 is up!

Rick Reynolds

Hmm, you bring up some interesting points. I don't pretend to know the intricacies of IP / copyright law (nor do I really want to!), but I tried to ask open ended questions about it to hear what someone who has been dealing with the subject since the '80s had to say.

Nor do I, other than the broad outlines. And you handled it perfectly - let the interviewee give it in their words. It tells a lot about how a person thinks. He comes across as someone from sales and marketing (which really sounds like his job at First Star from day one through today). I'd like to hear from more people like this - when I made my comments about publishers yesterday, I hadn't gotten to this part of the podcast yet. I find it fascinating how different people's views on these subjects can.. well, differ so much.

I'm trying to not be intentionally critical, I just find it amusing when people spout off about the importance of X - when not even understanding the motivations behind X, how X works, etc. And yes, I apply this standard to myself. I'm a blowhard about a lot of topics :D

I do appreciate how you and Rick basically ended up being wishy-washy about what is always going to be a very grey area (semantics always are). It's really the only appropriate tone for such a "controversial" subject. My only quibble is the focus on IP licensing. I don't quite agree that someone creating a brand new piece of IP in 2015 somehow makes it less "professional" than someone simply copying a 30 year old game. If anything I tend to view it in the reverse. Hacking some abandoned property, or making yet another port/clone of something that's been ported/cloned 8000 times already, is the epitome of homebrew to me - this is how almost every homebrewer got started, at least in some capacity. Creating something brand new takes a lot more time and effort.

Howwwweeeeveeeeeer.... holy crap did I not mean to bring this silly topic up yet again.

Nor do I, other than the broad outlines. And you handled it perfectly - let the interviewee give it in their words. It tells a lot about how a person thinks. He comes across as someone from sales and marketing (which really sounds like his job at First Star from day one through today). I'd like to hear from more people like this - when I made my comments about publishers yesterday, I hadn't gotten to this part of the podcast yet. I find it fascinating how different people's views on these subjects can.. well, differ so much.

I'm trying to not be intentionally critical, I just find it amusing when people spout off about the importance of X - when not even understanding the motivations behind X, how X works, etc. And yes, I apply this standard to myself. I'm a blowhard about a lot of topics :D

I do appreciate how you and Rick basically ended up being wishy-washy about what is always going to be a very grey area (semantics always are). It's really the only appropriate tone for such a "controversial" subject. My only quibble is the focus on IP licensing. I don't quite agree that someone creating a brand new piece of IP in 2015 somehow makes it less "professional" than someone simply copying a 30 year old game. If anything I tend to view it in the reverse. Hacking some abandoned property, or making yet another port/clone of something that's been ported/cloned 8000 times already, is the epitome of homebrew to me - this is how almost every homebrewer got started, at least in some capacity. Creating something brand new takes a lot more time and effort.

Howwwweeeeveeeeeer.... holy crap did I not mean to bring this silly topic up yet again.

I'm staying out of this one, but you're doing well without me. :P

I've been doing some traveling lately and that has allowed me to do a few Intellivisionaries binge listenings at airports, airplanes and hotel rooms :music:

Now I am all caught up and need to be patient for the future episodes :cool:

One thing that I would like to see changed is that the "Intelli-virgins" section would be playing the game that is dedicated for the episode's game review.

Why are they playing Lock'n'Chase when the episode is about Math/Word/Learning Funs? They should be playing Math/Word/Learning Fun so we can hear their fresh take on the game that the episode review is based on, and you could have saved that good footage we did hear for the Lock'n'Chase episode.

One thing that I would like to see changed is that the "Intelli-virgins" section would be playing the game that is dedicated for the episode's game review.

Why are they playing Lock'n'Chase when the episode is about Math/Word/Learning Funs? They should be playing Math/Word/Learning Fun so we can hear their fresh take on the game that the episode review is based on, and you could have saved that good footage we did hear for the Lock'n'Chase episode.

You make a good point. The only answer I can give you is that 'The Intelli-Virgins' are an autonomous group.

They consist of Aaron Hickman (Retro Obscura), Victor Marland (Ten Pence Arcade), and Ben 'Stirling' (aka 'Vipp' - contributor to several gaming podcasts including ours as 'George').

They choose the game they are going to cover, and put it all together and send it to me on their own schedule.

Ideally we'd do it as you suggest. And we may in fact do that going forward, if we can make it work (they often record well in advance of us choosing the next game). We haven't had a segment in a while, so we'll try to coordinate the next one to match what we're covering.

Bravo for episode 20. I just finished listening to this one today. I thought the interviews were extremely interesting and well done, and I'm looking forward to whatever you guys come up with for the next installments. Quality takes time, but if you've come up with a way to adjust the format and release episodes a little more frequently, that works for me.

... 'The Intelli-Virgins' are an autonomous group...They choose the game...

I was not aware of that fact. I just assumed that since it was your podcast ya'll asked them "please play this game and tell us what you think". They're a good bunch of chaps and I'd imagine they'd be willing to play ball with you if you are able to give them enough forewarning of game titles you'd be reviewing.

There really isn't anything stopping you, Rick and Will from creating the ordered list of titles and keeping it internal to yourselves and not tell all of us until we hear "next time we will do..." in each podcast. This may give you some extra time to pre-prep for some of the future episodes since you'd know what is coming sooner rather than later. And since it is an internal list, you can always change it, if needed, if something more vital arises.

My fear is that since there are 125 original titles and only 12 months in a year, then we are looking at a 10 year time span to cover them all. Granted grouping some, as you've already done, will shorten this time a bit. And then if, or when, you start doing all the "homebrews", then that is more added fun to be had. That is quite the commitment the Intellivisionaries has signed up for and we are all here for the duration.

But I digress, in regards to the "Intelli-virgins" segment in general, when it was first mentioned and spoke about, I assumed it would be a "man off the streets" type of thing and the "virgin" would be someone different each time. But logistically that would be a much larger investment of time and resources.

There really isn't anything stopping you, Rick and Will from creating the ordered list of titles and keeping it internal to yourselves and not tell all of us until we hear "next time we will do..." in each podcast. This may give you some extra time to pre-prep for some of the future episodes since you'd know what is coming sooner rather than later. And since it is an internal list, you can always change it, if needed, if something more vital arises.

You've kinda hit on what we were doing - for a while. I think I talked about our selection strategy on the show at some point - I want to cover the library of games in such a way that we always have some interesting games coming in the lineup. I don't want to do the best 50 games first and then have the rest be less interesting. So I came up with a random ordering so we'd have to cover then in a random-ish order and not let ourselves pick our favorites all the time. That lasted about 2 episodes! :)

Now we rotate a set of "buckets" that contain games based on the date of release. Pick a game from 79-81, or 82, or 83, or 84-2000, or post-2000. We usually talk about the types of games we've covered recently and try to cover a variety of game as we go. So the upshot is that we currently are picking each game as we go. Or you can think of it this way: we have a list of games to follow, but something more vital arises every month! :)

My fear is that since there are 125 original titles and only 12 months in a year, then we are looking at a 10 year time span to cover them all. Granted grouping some, as you've already done, will shorten this time a bit. And then if, or when, you start doing all the "homebrews", then that is more added fun to be had. That is quite the commitment the Intellivisionaries has signed up for and we are all here for the duration.

Believe me, I've definitely thought a good deal about that! I think I'm OK with this podcast running for a long time (at least I say that today). I really enjoy doing it. Other podcasts I'm on seem like they'll have a term and then be done (e.g. Greatest American Hero podcast).

I'm OK with this podcast running for a long time

When Nurmix says "we're looking at another 6 hour episode this month."

We also say "I'm OK with this podcast running for a long time." and then we throw in a "Thank you, sir, may I (we) have another?"

ha - I kid... I have a very long commute, so the longer the better for my listening desires. I'm going to binge listen through the Channel F podcast as I await more goodness from the Intellivisionaries.

• Like 1

There's no "finish" here. I'll just whip up a dozen truly awful games, sell them at the next CGE, and force you guys to keep going with the show.

Muahahaha... ha?

It is sentiments like like this that will destroy whatever integrity the Intellivision has left.

I will now and going forward only purchase Homebrew games that are packaged well complete in box anyway, whether you were joking here or not.

I would like CIB and hopefully a decent game inside that box that would complement the great collection I spent 20 years building.

Keep up the great work Intellivisionaries!

Episode 21 should be out before the end of the month.

Cmart! Cmart! Wake up! Get up man, you passed out! Are you OK? Wow, that's a big bump on your head there.

Let Rev put some salve on it for you... at least I hope that's salve...

Lol! Why does Rev always do that to me?

Too bad you guys aren't going to be at PRGE, we could have recorded another gong show "listener round table" segment that could have been used in an upcoming episode. (Pretty sure flights to Portland are cheap from LA plus you could stay with Lathe in his room) ?

• Like 1

Lol! Why does Rev always do that to me?

Too bad you guys aren't going to be at PRGE, we could have recorded another gong show "listener round table" segment that could have been used in an upcoming episode. (Pretty sure flights to Portland are cheap from LA plus you could stay with Lathe in his room) ?

Well, I will be attending the Twin Galaxies Entertainment Festival on October 2-4 (I'll probably only be there on Saturday the 3rd). It doesn't look like I'll have an official "Intellivisionaries presence" there though, but I will be hanging out, playing games an enjoying the festivities - should anyone want to join me there -- I'll be wearing an Intellivisionaries Podcast T-shirt. Keith Robinson and Tommy Tallarico will be there too - among other gaming celebrities.

Then I have another event on the 24th (high school reunion - I will be breaking out my DJ gear and vinyl for that occasion), and my sister and mother both have birthdays in October, so it will be a very busy month!

I'm not ruling Portland out 100%, but I will say it's unlikely.