IGNORED

ALF MC1 music card VS Sweet Microsystems Mockingboard sound card

Prosystemsearch

Well, which is better overall, in your opinions? The ALF music maker card that has 3 sound channels per individual card and gives Apple ][ more flexible musical liberty, but can only do music(no sound effects support), or the Mockingboard sound card from Sweet Microsystems that is capable of handling both music and sound effects as well as Voice synthesis., but not nearly as many officially released titles compatible with it it,(games included) In the end, which is the more dynamic and versatile of the two?

post-39329-0-18386200-1441842760_thumb.jpg

.. or the Mockingboard sound card from Sweet Microsystems that is capable of handling both music and sound effects as well as Voice synthesis., but not nearly as many officially released titles compatible with it it,(games included) ..

That makes it sound like the ALF card has many more officially released compatible titles, which confuses me as I've never heard of it...

How many titles does it support?

(Off to google!!)

desiv

By titles I don't mean just games.

Ah!

Yeah.. Still doesn't help.. ;-)

I'm assuming that means there were lots of non-games then that supported the ALF?

Hmmm..

Google doesn't have much on it that I've found (other than it's make up, existence and some models; but not much about titles)..

desiv

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, the ALF doesn't have a timer but the Mockingboard uses VIA chips to interface the AY sound chips and those have timers.
That may be a key reason why the Mockingboard was a success and the ALF wasn't.
Plus, AY chips may have fewer sound channels but can generate more complex sounds.

• Like 1

FWIW, the ALF doesn't have a timer but the Mockingboard uses VIA chips to interface the AY sound chips and those have timers.

That may be a key reason why the Mockingboard was a success and the ALF wasn't.

Plus, AY chips may have fewer sound channels but can generate more complex sounds.

True. The AY chips may be able do to this despite having less total sound channels because of 1. more octaves and 2. the nature of its design.

Also, I think games like the 8-bit Apple ][ Marble madness,, Tetris 2(homebrew title) and a few platformers used music made by the ALF music card. I could be wrong on this...