IGNORED

Using Controller on Windows with Wireless Adapter

SoulBlazer

Okay, I have a wireless controller that came with my Xbox 360.

Recently I've started playing some games on Steam like Dark Souls that support (and would play a hell of a lot better) with controller support. Rather then shell out $25-30 for a wired Xbox 360 controller, I spent $10 to get a wireless adapter.

No big problems getting it installed correctly in Windows 10 -- I just had to install the driver manualy, and the adapter should be working.

The problem is how to get Windows to recognize the controller. The directions provided on this are a little vague. All it says is:

Now, you'll turn on your XBox controller, and click the tiny button on the front of the controller. Then click the connect button on the USB adapter. They should detect each other and you'll see a little message on your computer screen.
Then when you tab the big Xbox button on the controller while on your Windows desktop, you'll see a small pop-up that will tell you the battery level of your controller. That's a good confirmation that everything is set up correctly.

I assume by 'little button' that they mean that small button just to the left of the connect port (where you plug in the recharge cable). But anytime you turn on the controller, the system comes on also, which I assume would interfear with the operation of the controller in Windows. Do I need to unplug the console in order to use the controller? (The console and PC are in the same room and I can't really separate the two).

Also, do I need to just push that 'little button' once, or hold it until the ring starts flashing, and THEN click the connect button?

Some further instructions on how to do this would be great.