IGNORED

My favorite underrated game for Sega Genesis...

Player Ready

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p3zksQlFSQ

I love X-men games, but this one has always been my favorite. The video is some highlights from our playthrough, but watch the whole thing if you want. I really wish Gambit had a better jump...he would have been my main throughout the game. Oddly enough, when I talk about this game, not many people have an idea of what i'm talking about. :( The ability to play as Magneto blew my damn mind as a kid. Safe to say I never made it to the end of the game as a kid either.

Thanks for watching!

-Jared from Player Ready

post-43684-0-72811500-1442597850_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I also like to say. Welcome to Atariage!! My favorite underrated/underappreciated game is. Castlevania Bloodlines. I am a huge fan of the Castlevania series on the NES plus the two released for the SNES despite Dracula X was a somewhat disappointment. Bloodlines is just great! I was shocked at first to see a Genesis Castlevania game. And Sega delivered. The bosses are fun to fight, the music is superb, and the graphics were great. The controls felt a little tricky. Overall it is one of my favorite Genesis games and it has been going up in value recently.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was shocked at first to see a Genesis Castlevania game. And Sega delivered.

I guess Konami delivered? Did Sega do any work on the game?

I don't know much about the Mega Drive. I didin't have one back in the day, and now that I do I don't have many games. I had fun playing Hellfire though. Creative fun good sidescrolling spaceship shooter.

The X-men games are good games on the Mega Drive/Genesis; definitely surprising that they don't get more coverage. I would add Rolo to the Rescue and Starflight to the list of underrated games.

Rolo is a puzzle platform adventure, which is actually surprisingly challenging in spite of its appearance. I've made a video discussing Rolo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmhyHY1w3cI

Starflight is a massive space exploration game. It was easily the biggest game I encountered on the system at the time and the included map and manual, or Captains log, really helped flesh out the experience. I was surprised the series didn't continue, but in many ways games like No Man's Sky are successors to the concepts of the game.

Both games were made back before EA turned "evil".

• Like 3

I came here to say 'Starflight' and see that it's been mentioned already. I bought this game at Babbages back in the day on a whim. EA was having a "buy 2 get 1 free" deal so I picked up Starflight and Dark Castle (mistake) so I could get The Immortal. These are two games I didn't know anything about but they looked interesting to me. Dark Castle was a creative game hampered by a terrible control system meant for a mouse and keyboard. Starflight proved to be utterly engrossing as I flew across the galaxy, entered solar systems, orbited planets, scanned them for minerals, landed, disembarked the buggy and endured hostile alien weather and creatures as I scanned the areas for precious minerals I could mine in exchange for money I could use to upgrade my ship's weapons, shield, and engine systems. That was a long sentence.

At the beginning of the game you acquire and train a crew who have jobs much like the crew in Star Trek and each one is important. You use money to improve their skills and to upgrade your land buggy. In space, you could establish communications with other aliens that you happen to encounter, strike up a dialogue, and depending on what demeanor you use, either gain useful information or end up blasting each other. All this time you have to try and figure out why the universe is ending and find rare items to try and save it.

The whole game plays in real time and requires user input. From combat to attempting to land the ship on a planet (the planet's gravity affects your descent), to traversing the surface looking for minerals to mine. Storms will blow your ship around. You lose traction on icy areas. This game is deep but very accessible from a gameplay perspective. It's one of my absolute favorites on the Genesis and it has a great intro tune.

Edited by Emehr
  • Like 3

Here's a list of rather well hidden gems to try:

Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan

The Yang Warrior Family

Devil Hunter Yohko

Brave Battle Saga: Legend of the Magic Warrior

Pepenga Pengo

Doki Doki Penguin Land

Twinkle Tale

Pyramid Magic I,II,III & Special

Osumatsu-kun: Hachamecha Gekijou

ResQ

• Like 1

Starflight looks intriguing! I never even heard of it before.

You should definitely check it out. I believe (but am not positive) that it was a computer game before being ported to the Genesis. It has a computer game feel to it, but totally works with just the Genesis controller.

Alisia Dragoon is a favorite of mine. It was one of the first games recommended to me back when I first started collecting for Genesis and it is a great game. Kind of hard though. At least for me. I suck at platformers, heh.

It isn't exclusive to Genesis but one of my favorite 16-bit platformers is B.O.B. I don't see people talk about it very much but it is a fun game with some cool weapons. Not too hard so good for a perpetual noob like me.

Edited by Algus

You should definitely check it out. I believe (but am not positive) that it was a computer game before being ported to the Genesis.

Yep, Starflight 1 & 2 are (or were, haven't checked in a while) available from GOG. I bought them but haven't tried them out yet.

Shadow Dancer

Kid Chameleon

Flicky

Bubsy

Rambo III

Lotus Turbo Challenge

Desert Strike

Jungle Strike

Urban Strike

Ghostbusters

Revenge of Shinobi

Truxton

Pac-Mania

Paperboy

European Club Soccer (World Trophy Soccer in the US)

Lemmings

Mercs

Virtua Racing

EA Hockey

Madden 92

Edited by English Invader
  • Like 1

You should definitely check it out. I believe (but am not positive) that it was a computer game before being ported to the Genesis. It has a computer game feel to it, but totally works with just the Genesis controller.

Yeah I remember the computer game and the annoying code wheel copy protection. On the Genesis you could finally play it without that stupid wheel.

Both Starflight games are amazing! Had them for the Amiga BITD (still do), but haven't played them in a loooong time. A friend who had it for his CGA or EGA IBM at the time first turned me onto them.

Dune II is another hidden gem for the Genesis that I also played the hell out of on the Amiga.

I'm going to have to go with Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Rocket Knight Adventures. :thumbsup: :)

I would suggest you to with Zombies Ate My Neighbors first because of its gameplay. If you love playing the games in which there is bloodshed and want to take out your anger, you''re gonna love this game. Also, its quite addictive. I haven't played Rocketknight but it seems to is fine. rest is your wish its just a suggestion.