IGNORED

Intellivision Truckin' - Opinions (Intellivisionaries)

nurmix

Hey, guys.

We're going to be covering Imagic's Truckin' on the podcast (there will be a programmer interview with Rick Levine as well), and we'd like to hear what you think/thought of the game. Did you play it as a kid? Do you play it now? Does it hold up? Any tips and tricks, etc.

Thanks in advance! We'll likely be including your feedback in the review.

• Like 1

I never knew about this game "back in the day," but I can say seeing it around 1995, what an interesting game.

I believe there was a map or some document to help you navigate the roads, which I did not have. I believe I had a manual and an overlay.

People who have spent more time with it can correct me, but I recall it was a complex game.

Played it a ton back when it was new, but not so much in recent years. Really enjoyed it a lot, trying to optimize routes. Always got a kick out of the scenery that changed as you traveled across the nation -- and, of course, the Easter egg!

The ghost drivers were cool. We had a lot of fun playing chicken, too.

I never played this BitD, and I'd always sorta heard it ridiculed in recent years. However, I played it quite a bit a few years ago, and I was really pleased by it. I like the various game modes, and I think the depth of the options is pretty amazing for the Intellivision. Usually simulations have some big flaw, but the biggest one I can find for this game is that the scenery just isn't varied enough. There really isn't that much to keep track of except that I think sometimes they want you to follow a specific route. You don't have to make your own map, just glance down at an open internet page every once in a while which is actually easier than the modern day version which would be to press start and pan around the map of the USA with a thumbstick. I wish I had someone to play it against.

Not sure what the easter egg is . . .

• Like 1

It is a great two player game if you can find somebody to spend hours playing with you.

There is a learning curve with the map and all, so it takes some research.

After that, it is is good fun. So nice to see the other Trucker on the other side of the road (your friend maybe!) and get into a head on crash with them while you are trying to pick up stuff in different cities.

Check it out, but it is very time consuming if you do it right like another Imagic game......Microsurgeon which I loved as well!

For me, Truckin' is a top 10 title even though a lot of people are not too fond of this game. BITD my friends and I played this game a lot. Hauling cargo from city to city to make money was a hit with us. We loved the fact that the Trans Canada Hiway was part of the game. Although I was a little bit jealous because that meant Calgary was in the game and Edmonton was not. Oh well. We did not always play the game the way it was meant to be. More often then not it was just a race to see who could circle the country the fastest. I'd go one direction, a friend would go the opposite direction and whoever made it back to the start was the winner. Sometimes it was tricky to keep your fuel tank full when you play this way. Instead of earning money for fuel by delivering your cargo you would have to wait until you rested and some good someritan would throw some fuel your way. We would also try and see how long we could speed before the cops would pull you over. We always had fun with Truckin', it's definitely one of my favorites.:)

• Like 1

Great simulation for a console game BITD, but hell no… not gonna be playing this any time soon. Or since. :lol:

And that goes for any game that comes with a map or requires you to manually keep track of shit. :rolling:

That's why I like it. During the early days, video games were sports games, card games, or shoot-something games. That someone would come along in the early 1980s and want to make a videogame about truck driving, combine that with the limitations of the technology, I find the backstory very interesting.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I loved this game as a kid (although most of my friends didn't get into it at the time). I played it even more during the Intellivision's second 'heyday' with me around 1989 - with my then roommate, Charley. (we were both about 20 at the time). It really shines as a two player game; either the race version or the cargo version.

As you've heard me say on the podcast, as a kid I found the Easter Egg (the hidden Highway 9 in Los Gatos, California which when you drive up, an Imagic sign appears at the end of the road, and the city letters change to "RL" for programmer Rick Levine.

I submitted this to the big three US video game magazines back then, and two of them published my letter (Electronic Fun With Computers and Games, and Video Games). I'll post scans of the magazines with the episode show notes when it comes out.

There's a lot more depth to the game than one might think if only looking at the box. Rick and Will have never really played it, so it will be interesting to hear their opinions.

• Like 3