IGNORED

Are we grownups or are we just big kids with TI's?

Omega-TI

christmas_tree_icon.png

Christmas season is getting closer... have you given any thought to what you are going to get your TI (and yourself) this holiday season?

Remember all the fun and excitement you had as a kid? It's nearly time to relive those great TI-Days! Okay, maybe many of us were adults when the TI first came out, but it was still FUN!

So hardware guys, step up your game, I think many of us want NEW TOYS for Christmas!

NOTE: Some of the guys here are married, and their wives wear the pants, so this may be the ONLY time of the year that they can get the old ball & chain to agree to a major hobby purchase! (Just kidding!) :P

post-35324-0-21864900-1442632004_thumb.png

post-35324-0-67078400-1442632005_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-03643100-1442632007_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-11576300-1442632021_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-81143900-1442632022_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-72967400-1442632037_thumb.png

post-35324-0-03646000-1442632039.jpg

post-35324-0-44919400-1442632041_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-81293300-1442632054_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-41195800-1442632057_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-37471100-1442632060_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm afraid that the Christmas of 1983 when I received my 4a-was infact a bit of an anti climax, I knew I was getting a 4a for Christmas and as such would sneak it out from it's hiding place every time my parents were out. The surprise factor was sadly lost :(

If I had the option this year of a mint condition boxed/never used 4a or a Playstation 4, what do you think I would pick?

Spoiler alert "get that piece of black Japanese plastic s**t away from my Christmas tree!!!!!!".

• Like 1

I have an external 3.5 floppy, which is great, but the PEB's regular drive is a bit wonky n' so I expect to replace that.

On the software side, there are still things I haven't typed in from books (etc). Even if some are already available to use, I spent hours typing as a kid and it's fun to relive those moments. As well, I haven't downloaded the latest "Classic99", so that should be good. (-:

Now, it's getting cooler, my TI mania is returning. Yay! I'm just a big kid with the TI. I remember the excitement I felt when first discovering TI emulation, too. Trying games that I didn't have as a kid: awesome!

post-42954-0-07542700-1442681272_thumb.jpg

This must have been middle school. My first PEB! This opened the door to expansion :) Every birthday or Christmas after that was some sort of TI gear.

I don't look anything like that anymore, but that picture is a large part of my self image. I've been a big kid with a TI even through the TI-less years. :)

-M@

• Like 2

My parents got me my TI when I started high school in 81. I can still remember my hand shaking as I first turned it on and got that magnificent multicolor splash screen up on the monitor. The next time I felt that same excitement for a piece of hardware was when I graduated to an IBM PC when I started med school in 86: 80cols, a proper DOS, fast Basic... I have yet to feel that same excitement over any new hardware ever since...

• Like 4

Slightly off topic-but, does anyone remember the 4a packaging having a very distinctive smell? (not unpleasant), this may be a European thing as I am pretty sure that the internal packaging we had was different from the U.S release.

I love the smell of new tech fresh out of the box but I don't think anything came close to the 4a.

• Like 1

My parents bought my TI for me back in 1982. Of course it was just a 4A console and a data cassette record. I thought I was in heaven, until i met the person that would become my best buddy in 9th grade. He had it all, PEB, printer, monitor, modem, etc. - everything you could imagine back then.

Oh how I wanted it. so I started looking to see how much these PEB's were. I found one in Sugarland, TX for $1200.00. I was like oh god, but I did not think i would get it. Well my dad found out and told me if he got his new credit card in the mail then he would buy it for me. I later overheard him and my mother talking that they just received the letter in the mail that said they were approved and it would be 4 weeks before they got it. So he thought he was in the clear.

This was the last PEB the store had and was not ordering any more and already had someone else inquiring about it but was willing to hold it for me for a few days.

A long story short, the credit card arrived that saturday morning! My mom told my dad you promissed! Go get it!.. Of course it was supposed to be my birthday and xmas for a few years, but my dad could not stand me not having anything under the tree. So I got the PEB in July and that following xmas I had a CorComp disk controller and 4 new DS/DD drives under the tree.

That was it for me. I was hooked on the TI and as you all know I still am.

Every year for my bday and xmas I always got something from someone that was TI related.

• Like 3

Vorticon, after diagnosing you, I believe you to be immune to a single dose.

So, Dr. Ω prescribes..

1-F18A taken with 1 HxC and an XB2.7S using 9640 M.S. as a stabilizer.

use q.d.s.

Nice concoction ;) Thing is, getting your first computer at a time when the industry was young, as we were, and so full of promise, is something special not easily duplicated. That is partly why we congregate every year in Chicago, Germany, Austria and other places to reminisce and try to recapture the magic of the old days...

• Like 2

My parents bought my TI for me back in 1982. Of course it was just a 4A console and a data cassette record. I thought I was in heaven, until i met the person that would become my best buddy in 9th grade. He had it all, PEB, printer, monitor, modem, etc. - everything you could imagine back then.

Oh how I wanted it. so I started looking to see how much these PEB's were. I found one in Sugarland, TX for $1200.00. I was like oh god, but I did not think i would get it. Well my dad found out and told me if he got his new credit card in the mail then he would buy it for me. I later overheard him and my mother talking that they just received the letter in the mail that said they were approved and it would be 4 weeks before they got it. So he thought he was in the clear.

This was the last PEB the store had and was not ordering any more and already had someone else inquiring about it but was willing to hold it for me for a few days.

A long story short, the credit card arrived that saturday morning! My mom told my dad you promissed! Go get it!.. Of course it was supposed to be my birthday and xmas for a few years, but my dad could not stand me not having anything under the tree. So I got the PEB in July and that following xmas I had a CorComp disk controller and 4 new DS/DD drives under the tree.

That was it for me. I was hooked on the TI and as you all know I still am.

Every year for my bday and xmas I always got something from someone that was TI related.

Very nice story indeed...