IGNORED

Angry.....

Opry99er

Yep! That's how it was with most 2600 games "back in the day". You played a few times, threw your controller down in disgust, and then crawled back for more later. :D

Agreed. I didn't beat the 4th difficulty level of Smurfs 2600 until I was an adult. Took playing off and on for 20 years but I got it done :cool:

I get super zen with Asteroids. Even with the difficulty switches set to B to make the saucers appear, I rolled the first game I played after I got the cart a couple months ago and I still had like 10 ships remaining. I quit a few thousand points later. I loved that game as a kid and I love it still. But for a real challenge I play Space Rocks. THAT is the one I rage quit and then whimper for more a few days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had saucer after saucer comong at me once I crossed 80K. At 75k, I had 6 ships.

I think the game has a cheaty element to it. There towards the end, I was using Hyperspace to avoid UFOs with a sparse asteroid field. BEFORE I would reappear, the UFO would fire in the direction I was to regenerate and I would get hit as soon as I rematerialized.

At 90k, I had 1 ship left. At 95 I had 2. Twice I used Hyperdrive to escape after 95K and both times, the UFO fired in a seemingly random direction and both times, that is where my ship rematerialized.

Dirty....

This reminds me of the time I tried to complete "The New Zealand Story" on taito legends. I was pretty far in the game until I accidentally pressed R2 (Or at least I think it was R2), which was mapped to restart the game. I haven't ever tried to complete The New Zealand Story since.

• Like 1

You can do it!! :) That's the good thing about Atari 2600 games you just get back on the horse after you have fallen off. I've rolled the score a few times in asteroids and that is one of my favorite accomplishments as well as rolling the score in Space Invaders. To me personally it feels like as I have conquered the game even though it just continues on infinitely. I know you can do it!! :)

• Like 1

Yes.

I know 100K isn't much to most hardcore guys, but I have never hit it.

I remember when I was kid to play it during hours, I had to abandon my game, either to eat or to go to bed ! Saucers were there. i think I never played it again, thinking I mastered the game. Maybe I should give it a new try to see whethet I still rock at it ? ;)

I know exactly how you feel. The number of times I got within 10 or even 5 thousand points of 100,000 in Centipede only to bomb out at the last minute are more than I'd like to remember. But if you really enjoy a game and keep playing it regularly then you will get better, whether you think you can or not. For the longest time the feat of breaking 100,000 in Centipede seemed about as impossible to me as holding the sun in the palm in my hand, but I just kept playing anyway. Not because I thought I could get a really high score if I practiced, but just because I enjoyed playing the game. I played to have fun and did my best to not worry about my score, then one day—without even realizing it had happened—I crossed the 100,000 barrier! Of course I got so excited that I completely lost my concentration and proceeded to lose all my remaining lives within a minute once I noticed what had happened, but that's just the way it goes I suppose lol

That was a good year or so and these days I break 100,000 almost every game I play, and my high score is over 200,000; but I definitely remember what it felt like to try so hard over and over only to fail at the last second. I think the real trick is to just play the games you like playing and focus on the fun of playing them, because if you set lofty goals for yourself when playing and don't achieve them then it will only take away from the reason you're playing the game in the first place: Because it's fun. Just play the games you like to play, have fun, and try not to worry too much about your score. If you keep playing a game you like regularly then you're bound to improve from all the practice, and one day you'll find yourself having so much fun that you get that huge score without even realizing it. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

After much gnashing of teeth, I finally DLed the ROM. It is very well executed and very much like the arcade. I particularly enjoy the vector-style graphics option.

It is a brilliant piece of work... One worthy of buying for sure. I typically never spend more than a couple bucks for a game, but this might be an exception. :)

I think the game has a cheaty element to it. There towards the end, I was using Hyperspace to avoid UFOs with a sparse asteroid field. BEFORE I would reappear, the UFO would fire in the direction I was to regenerate and I would get hit as soon as I rematerialized.

Odds are slightly against you surviving because the random positioning only has a few horizontal positions you end up at due to how the 2 "random" numbers are generated. There is a "sweet spot" present between firings where it will *never* hit you IIRC.

After much gnashing of teeth, I finally DLed the ROM. It is very well executed and very much like the arcade. I particularly enjoy the vector-style graphics option.

It is a brilliant piece of work... One worthy of buying for sure. I typically never spend more than a couple bucks for a game, but this might be an exception. :)

IMHO, it's well worth the price...especially if you own a Starplex controller!