IGNORED

Should I buy a Jaguar CD?

retrogamer73

Thanks for all the comments. Over the weekend I sold a couple things to lessen the blow of the price, and ordered a reconditioned system from Best Electronics. It felt good to finally do it, haven't been this excited about a system in awhile.

I think you will be pleased by the purchase.

It's a fun little gadget.

Edited by Atlantis

Can't we just devise a secret handshake for Jag fans cool enough to have the fixed version of SoulStar? Something like this?

http://youtu.be/qEgNO0Ayz3E

Also, yes buy a Jaguar CD. Every additional owner makes me feel less crazy for having two.

LOL! Thats about the way i aquired the broken version years ago. it worked out for a few years until that guy who wsd selling it on ebay got a hold of it some how. for better or worse...

• Like 1

Try running one of the official releases for a couple minutes. Then shut it off and try the burned CDs and see if that helps.

Everyone keeps forgetting Robinsons Requiem for the CD player. That's a good game.

Is that a finished game I thought it was just the video files so I never purchased it.

Will have to try official release then burned game...iI got the bypass cart just never had any luck with downloaded homedrews..figured it needed to be on 650mg cds that aren't made anymore

Is that a finished game I thought it was just the video files so I never purchased it.

Will have to try official release then burned game...iI got the bypass cart just never had any luck with downloaded homedrews..figured it needed to be on 650mg cds that aren't made anymore

robinsons requiem is a finished official release from Songbird for about $50. Fully encrypted no bypass required. survival rpg/fps.

the jag cd handles up to 790MB. any quality modern cdrs work fine. I use TDK 700MB cdrs. available most any where.

Edited by Gunstar

This trick seems to be necessary maybe because the laser in mine is wearing out and probably needs replacing. Mine now will read only mastered CDs and newer burns even after warming up.

Robinsons Requiem is the fully playable finished game. Since the concensus is divided whether its worth it or not there are tons of youtube videos out there that you can watch and decide for yourself if it's your cup of tea instead of letting us decide for you.

Click on my signature link to have a look on the tons of homebrews you can access with a Jag CD.

Not sure that the Skunk (which has a price too) can load them all and even so, Skunk will not allow you to play the commercial Jag CD games such as Iron soldier II, World Tour Racing, Primal Rage, Robinson Requiem, Vid Grid, myst.

No Jag CD means no Soulstars and considering its price, think of the price difference between Orion games in cartridge and CD...when available.

The Jag CD and Skunk are not competitors but more complement.

The Jag CD has this advantage that you can burn a lot of homebrews on CD-R then you can play it easy while with the Skunk which was a dev tool at beginning, you need to turn on your computer and load the game on the cartridge every time you want to change the game.

RR is the one game that I can't seem to get to run without crashing on my JagCD. I know my JagCD may be on its' last legs but everything else will run, including burned CDs. For some reason, my JagCD fails while trying to run RR. At best, I can sometimes get the game started but it all stops soon afterwards as the CD unit no longer spins up to read the disc while playing. Carl helped me out by eliminating my copy of the CD as the cause by replacing my initial copy of RR with a new one. I am thinking about sending my JagCD off to the repair service I've seen advertised around here.

However the new Jag HSC just started with Downfall being first on the list so I won't be sending my unit off anytime in the next couple of weeks. ?

Edited by mckafka99

RR is the one game that I can't seem to get to run without crashing on my JagCD. I know my JagCD may be on its' last legs but everything else will run, including burned CDs. For some reason, my JagCD fails while trying to run RR. At best, I can sometimes get the game started but it all stops soon afterwards as the CD unit no longer spins up to read the disc while playing. Carl helped me out by eliminating my copy of the CD as the cause by replacing my initial copy of RR with a new one. I am thinking about sending my JagCD off to the repair service I've seen advertised around here.

However the new Jag HSC just started with Downfall being first on the list so I won't be sending my unit off anytime in the next couple of weeks.

With it being the only thing that doesn't load, you could at least try cloning the CD using some media that you know usually work OK. Use Disc Juggler with the same settings as usual. Your PC's drive might have no trouble reading the disc and help you produce a working copy. Then just stick RR in a clear double disc case and just play form the copy. Might sound weird, but I had to do this with my copy of Suikoden II on PlayStation (using a blue dev unit to play from) - none of my PlayStations would load the game after a certain point in the story, but my PC had no such issues.

No.

Oh.

I am curious to know if you have ever even had an opportunity to use the Jag cd or play any of the games? That is a redundant questionthat I don't care your answer too, but most nay-sayers never even tried for themselves and just take tue word of others who also most likely dis it without trying it themelves. Just like axing the Jag console and controllers without ever trying them. Perpetual hate for hates sake and listening to morons.

• Like 1

I had some problems with my RR disc, sounds went out soon in the game but after rebooting it and retrying it a couple of times, I came beyond this point and saved it there and it didn't come back.

Maybe it's some chemistry between the individual add-on and the individual CD that is needed.... :D

In another thread on this game, I mention this and some other guy had similar problems with RR as me. Might just be the game, that is rich on bugs.

I had some problems with my RR disc, sounds went out soon in the game but after rebooting it and retrying it a couple of times, I came beyond this point and saved it there and it didn't come back.

Maybe it's some chemistry between the individual add-on and the individual CD that is needed.... :D

In another thread on this game, I mention this and some other guy had similar problems with RR as me. Might just be the game, that is rich on bugs.

Sometimes for me, very rarely the intro will not play all the way through and will freeze. It happens for me about 1 out of 10 times. I can't remember the game seizing up on me except once. Try pushing the button to get it to go to the game before the video plays. Also try adjusting the depth of the spindle head as described in Linkovitch's CD repair webpage. Might help.

http://jaguar.linkovitch.me.uk.s3.mytilde.co.uk/cdrepair/

It usually takes several attemps when I load RR to get it to fully load to the main option screen. It loads and plays the starting fmv fine but after that often the screen goes black and loading stops. but once I do get the main game loaded I have no further problems.

Edited by Gunstar

mckafka99, I suspect that with RR it's more the buggy program, then a bad cd drive or bad quality cd brand.

What sh3-rg suggests though, cloning the game on another cd might solve your problem.

It's great if that should work for you, but my impression that the game is buggy remains :(

I would qualify the decision:

If you are buying it for nostaglia or as a collector of all things Atari -- then I'd probably say yes.

If you are buying it to play games, I'd probably say no.

I owned one when it was originally released, but I sold mine to buy some of the rarer Jaguar cart

games. I just chose that I'd rather have rare (and good) cart titles -- then rare (and mostly bad)

CD games. Everyone is different.

I'd personally put the money into buying a skunkboard instead.

• Like 1

To one extent or another I think most of the lost games that are resurected are buggy, after all its not like most went through the usual game testing they would have had they been published on time. but at least most are complete and I would rather have them with bugs than not at all.

I am curious to know if you have ever even had an opportunity to use the Jag cd or play any of the games? That is a redundant questionthat I don't care your answer too, but most nay-sayers never even tried for themselves and just take tue word of others who also most likely dis it without trying it themelves. Just like axing the Jag console and controllers without ever trying them. Perpetual hate for hates sake and listening to morons.

Hey Gunstar, it's OK to pull the stick out of your *** once in a while. I'm sure NGN has used one, as most of us in this community have.

My way of looking at it is that the Jag CD was a nifty novelty when you could acquire one for $50. For $200+, it's barely recommendable. Life is too short to be overpaying for half-assed games on barely-supported add-ons.

• Like 3

Hey Gunstar, it's OK to pull the stick out of your *** once in a while. I'm sure NGN has used one, as most of us in this community have.

My way of looking at it is that the Jag CD was a nifty novelty when you could acquire one for $50. For $200+, it's barely recommendable. Life is too short to be overpaying for half-assed games on barely-supported add-ons.

Yeah, hard to justify the cost these days unless you've absolutely gotta have it. The upside is he'll be able to sell it and get his money back if he decides it's not for him.

My comment was based on the totally worthless answer he gave of just "no" instead of giving reasons why like you just did.

hence my questioning his motives. he's the one with a stick up the ***. And apperently you too. It''s all opinion and perspective. As Madman said, its easy to get the money back by selling. The original poster is obviously quite aware of the price and decided to take the plunge based on overwelming support in favor if getting one compared to the few against it.

I am quite aware that the jag and cd units have their downsides. But if one has the money, then its not insane to buy one. We aren' t talking about astronomical pricing like a single game for $500-1000 like Battlesphere. but $150-200 for something with several good games and tons of homebrews and vlm, etc. to enjoy.

People will go out on the town to dinner and movies and drinks and easily spend a $100-200 for one nights entertainment and think nothing of it, but then it's insane to spend the same on something that could bring years of entertainment value AND be able to get all their money back, or more in resale and that's considered crazy?!?

Edited by Gunstar