IGNORED

Should I buy a Jaguar CD?

retrogamer73

I dunno, I would have thought it might be able to handle something at least close to one of those games, but I'll trust you when you say it was out of reach. Still, I do believe a lack of innovation that would help separate it from the existing systems really made it a difficult sell from the start.

Yes, that was always one of its problems. It had little software to show why its 64-bitness was superior to the two dominant 16-bit systems in the twilights of their primes. As was previously stated, Atari simply didn't have the resources at that point to compete on equal footing.

Yes, that was always one of its problems. It had little software to show why its 64-bitness was superior to the two dominant 16-bit systems in the twilights of their primes. As was previously stated, Atari simply didn't have the resources at that point to compete on equal footing.

I imagine in my mind's eye people playing 16-player Marathon: Durendal on four linked Jaguars. Baby Halo.

Yeah the cd unit was not like the 32x for the genesis where it gave the system bettrr capabilities basically the cd could make bigger games more megs cheaper on a cd also you could have better music and video.

Otherwise most games would look similar to what you where getting on the regular jag.

Yeah the cd unit was not like the 32x for the genesis where it gave the system bettrr capabilities basically the cd could make bigger games more megs cheaper on a cd also you could have better music and video.

Otherwise most games would look similar to what you where getting on the regular jag.

Say again?

• Like 2

Just saying jag cd did not turn your jaguar into a 128 bit monster machine...according to sam t. In next generation magazine he felt the jaguar was capable of doing most stuff a sega Saturn could do but was not capable of the 3d engines the Playstation could do.

Take highlander for example it looked about like most early 3d games on Saturn and 3do.

We don't have to many examples since atari didn't even get past their 1st generation of games but primal rage and nbajam both looked about the same as saturn.

I assume a more boxy tomb raider could of been made...bubsy. 3d probably. even virtua fighter and vr racer...for the Jag cd

I can't see teken. The sequels to virtually fighter or Daytona usa making it out.

Just saying jag cd did not turn your jaguar into a 128 bit monster machine...according to sam t. In next generation magazine he felt the jaguar was capable of doing most stuff a sega Saturn could do but was not capable of the 3d engines the Playstation could do.

Take highlander for example it looked about like most early 3d games on Saturn and 3do.

We don't have to many examples since atari didn't even get past their 1st generation of games but primal rage and nbajam both looked about the same as saturn.

I assume a more boxy tomb raider could of been made...bubsy. 3d probably. even virtua fighter and vr racer...for the Jag cd

I can't see teken. The sequels to virtually fighter or Daytona usa making it out.

Well Tomb Raider was planned for Jaguar CD, wasn't it? Would buy that for Jag CD!

We talked about this in another thread. There was no Tomb Raider planned for Jaguar and the Jaguar was not physically capable of creating a recognizable Tomb Raider.

Highlander did not look anything like first generation Saturn games or 3D on the 3DO. Both of those were far more capable at textured 3D than the Jaguar. Highlander is a bad example of anything. It was poorly programmed and optimized, plain and simple. All Highlander does is point to the possibility that the best 3D game the Jaguar could do might be something resembling Alone in the Dark, which is the type of early 3D you're talking about, with polygon characters and pre-rendered backgrounds.

Fight for Life was about as close as the Jaguar could get to Virtua Fighter. The closest it got to Virtua Racing was World Tour Racing. As we well know, neither quite reached levels one would expect of either game any way you look at it. Maybe with world class programmers working on it, the Jaguar could have gotten close to the levels of the first Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, and Alone in the Dark, but again, that wasn't what the Jaguar was designed for.

You know what the meter for great jag game vs bad jag game is a diffrent meter than most systems bubsy 3d would be one of 5 platforms on the Jag and the only other 3d platform er outside of highlander...and it was better than highlander.

I would say if ported it could sell as good as another world.

But if I was going to pick a sega/SNES/ATARI ST GAME to port...I would want either ultimate mortal kombat or zombies ate my neighbors.

• Like 1

You know what the meter for great jag game vs bad jag game is a diffrent meter than most systems bubsy 3d would be one of 5 platforms on the Jag and the only other 3d platform er outside of highlander...and it was better than highlander.

I would say if ported it could sell as good as another world.

But if I was going to pick a sega/SNES/ATARI ST GAME to port...I would want either ultimate mortal kombat or zombies ate my neighbors.

Props for ZAMN! Didn't own a lot of SNES games, but that was one I cherished back in the day.

Maybe what people really want is an adapter that allows the Jaguar pad to be used on whatever system. This way, can feel as if you're playing a port on the Jag that you know will never be made.

Better still, grab one of Mike's Jaguar system shells and stuff your Genesis/SNES guts inside.

Hmmm... I have an original system shell sitting around doing nothing and a Genesis 2. Anyone interested in a Jag/Genny? Your new "Jaguar" will then be able to play all sorts of "new" and previously unreleased games! :rolling:

• Like 3

Well, it's not MK, but if you don't have it already, get a copy of the great Jag fighter Ultra Vortek. It will show you what the Jag could have done with MK since it is a clone...and a very good one. I actually like it better than MK. Oh, and there is a secret code for an option to speed the game up if it seems slightly sluggish to you. It's the speed they decided to use, not the speed the game/jag is capable of running at. I think it fits though...

Turbo mode code:

At the title screen, hold 1+5+9. "FIGHT!" confirms. At the main menu, you will now have the choice between normal and turbo play speed.

Edited by Gunstar

Well, it's not MK, but if you don't have it already, get a copy of the great Jag fighter Ultra Vortek. It will show you what the Jag could have done with MK since it is a clone...and a very good one. I actually like it better than MK. Oh, and there is a secret code for an option to speed the game up if it seems slightly sluggish to you. It's the speed they decided to use, not the speed the game/jag is capable of running at. I think it fits though...

Well thank you very much, I'll have a look... I have Kasumi Ninja, and I like that, so if I like that then I guess that UV must be amazing! 'D

After this exchange about mortal kombat and ultra vortek I started contemplating buying UV and KN again for the Jag. I sold them off a while back when I needed money (sold off most of my collection) and have been slowly buying games again, so I made up my mind to look into getting these games again. But it also started me thinking about the lack of MK on the Jag. I've come to the conclusion that it would have been great to have both UV and MK on the Jag, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd still choose UV over MK. My logic is that I can play MK on any number of systems and I like the Jag for it's unique games, not the ones that are also on other systems. Expanding this, I started thinking about the up coming release of Xevious on the Jag. It will be fantastic to have an arcade quality port of it on the Jaguar, but once again, since it can be played on numerous other systems I'd rather have a unique shooter for the Jag over Xevious as well, if I were given the choice. I really don't care that the Jag didn't get a lot of main stream hits on it. I can play those on other systems. I'm glad we have AvP on the Jag instead of getting an FPS game like Quake instead, I can play Quake on something else, but I can't play AvP (the original Jag version) on anything else. With the Jag it's all about the games it has that other consoles don't have, for me.

• Like 1

After this exchange about mortal kombat and ultra vortek I started contemplating buying UV and KN again for the Jag. I sold them off a while back when I needed money (sold off most of my collection) and have been slowly buying games again, so I made up my mind to look into getting these games again. But it also started me thinking about the lack of MK on the Jag. I've come to the conclusion that it would have been great to have both UV and MK on the Jag, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd still choose UV over MK. My logic is that I can play MK on any number of systems and I like the Jag for it's unique games, not the ones that are also on other systems. Expanding this, I started thinking about the up coming release of Xevious on the Jag. It will be fantastic to have an arcade quality port of it on the Jaguar, but once again, since it can be played on numerous other systems I'd rather have a unique shooter for the Jag over Xevious as well, if I were given the choice. I really don't care that the Jag didn't get a lot of main stream hits on it. I can play those on other systems. I'm glad we have AvP on the Jag instead of getting an FPS game like Quake instead, I can play Quake on something else, but I can't play AvP (the original Jag version) on anything else. With the Jag it's all about the games it has that other consoles don't have, for me.

I used to play so much KN... Well I say used to... Last year :P Jaguar fighting games are surprisingly good considering the controller is slated for not being able to do it :)

Jaguar fighting games are surprisingly good considering the controller is slated for not being able to do it

considering they are on a Jaguar :)

Seriously, the Jag is NOT a platform renowned for 2D or 3D fighters ... period .... and I am not talking about what the Jaguar coulda/shoulda/woulda supported, I'm talking about what we got ... and it is not good.

Is it all a train wreck? No, UV has some redeeming qualities but all in all nothing to be too happy about either.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee story, Fight for Life, KN and Primal Rage are mediocre at best.

Comes to think about it, what was the Jag renowned for? AvP sure, Tempest sure, Rayman not so much (as it was available at the same time on other platforms) then what? At the time were Jag ports of Doom and Wolf3D sought after? I believe they were among the very best ports for consoles but people likely were playing them on PC so not sure that mattered back in the days.

• Like 1