IGNORED

Possible Cheap Alternative to SIO2PC-USB?

mytek

You will not need a diode if you are using FTDI - FT232R based device (5V) even in mixed mode (virtual and physical devices).

However, the story will change if one uses FTDI - FT231R device (2.3V). A diode to stimulate an open collector is a must.

Note that, if you use a diode to allow mixed devices operation (e.g. real and virtual Drives), you can not use the device as an 1050-2-PC. This applies to FT232R and FT231R.

madi

OK, I plan on running the FT232RL off the Atari's Vcc. There is an example in the datasheet that keeps the FT in reset (pins tristate) unless there is a connection to USBVcc. So in the case of the FT in reset and a diode in place do you think I would need a light pull-up on the FT's TxD pin to ensure the diode is rev biased? I guess the best bet is to not use the diode if it has no benifit.

Yogi

OK, I plan on running the FT232RL off the Atari's Vcc. There is an example in the datasheet that keeps the FT in reset (pins tristate) unless there is a connection to USBVcc. So in the case of the FT in reset and a diode in place do you think I would need a light pull-up on the FT's TxD pin to ensure the diode is rev biased? I guess the best bet is to not use the diode if it has no benifit.

Yogi

I wish I could be sure about it. But if it were for me, I wouldn't install a diode. Yes, I know that Nick Kennedy recommended to install a diode when he designed the early SIO2PC device. It was based on RS232 (MAX232). The 5V came from ATARI same as you are looking for. Still, I will go without diode when using the FT232R chip (at 5V).

madi

Edited by Madi

I wish I could be sure about it. But if it were for me, I wouldn't install a diode. Yes, I know that Nick Kennedy recommended to install a diode when he designed the early SIO2PC device. It was based on RS232 (MAX232). The 5V came from ATARI same as you are looking for. Still, I will go without diode when using the FT232R chip (at 5V).

madi

Thanks for your insight, helps a lot. I think I'll skip the diode, as you pointed out the +5V device has no ill effects without it. It makes more sense with the +3.3V devices for protection, but this doesn't apply in my case. I can always add one to the off board wiring if a problem does crop up.

Yogi

• 10 months later...

The first board suggested in post #6 by gozar, arrived yesterday. Here it is pictured wired directly to my 800XL for testing. The CTS line was broken somewhere between the chip and pin header so it only worked with handshaking turned off in RespeQt. I ended up soldering a bit of wire wrap between the chip's CTS pin (not fun) and the solder pad underneath the board to get the handshake/control line working. Maybe mine was an isolated case of poor quality control.

This board is tiny and should fit nicely into a SIO plug enclosure. It's virtually identical to the arduino FTDI board (right) from sparkfun: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

attachicon.gifFTDITOOL.jpg attachicon.gifSFftdibasic.jpg

I have three of the boards, and it appears that CTS or DSR don't work on any of them. Where did you run the line to fix yours?

I used the FT232RL boards from Sparkfun. They've been working flawlessly for a couple years even with multiple devices in the SIO chain. I use "RI" for COMMAND, wired up RX, TX and GND. Just worked. Powered over USB. I got 2 of them when the boards were on sale for $10.

One got wired internally in a 600XL, the other is connected to a butchered SIO cable.

I would avoid the Prolific chips. They tend to suck. I've had issues with them over the years in many applications even as standard USB->serial adapters talking to POS equipment and such. FTDI is far superior.

Edited by kogden

I have three of the boards, and it appears that CTS or DSR don't work on any of them. Where did you run the line to fix yours?

It appears that RodLightning already pointed out to the fixing in his post, where he installed a red wire from PIN #11 of the breakout board (CTS) to the back of the board (soldered it at CTS point). Alternatively, since the CTS line is damaged, you can solder the wire to PIN #09 which is for DSR handshaking.

See image:

post-37046-0-40314200-1470819196_thumb.jpg

Beside genuine FTDI chips (which are the standard), I recommend trying one of those. Tested and perfect. They are realy tiny that can fit nicely in SIO plug. Dimensions are 19mm X 10 mm

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-V2-0-MICRO-FT232RL-USB-to-TTL-Serial-Breakout-Best-/311586161695?hash=item488bfb841f:g:YDgAAOSwZd1Veq5p

Note: FT232RL chip is on the back side of the board.

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Madi and Geezer-

If you do put this into an SIO plug, would you please post a couple of pics.

-Larry

Hi Larry

I am waiting for the SIO plugs order from B & C Computers.

PRA051 CONN 13 PIN I/O CABLE FM $4.00

Apparently, it will fit in the SIO plug. The breakout board need to be trimmed from front (angular) and the plastic support underneath must be filed to let the board set-in and the p.lug cover to close firmly.

And with slight filing of the rear side of the board (adjacent to the screw), the Plug screw can be fitted easily.

The attached picture will illustrate it better than my broken English words . :grin:

Note: I could not do any cutting to the plug because it is part of the SIO cable. The only one I currently have.

post-37046-0-22334500-1472817704_thumb.png

I am sure that AtariGeezer will come up with better layout.

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I just received these two very low priced boards labeled FT232RL FTDI USB 3.3V 5.5V to TTL Serial Adapter Modul for Arduino Mini Port and can confirm that they work fine with Atari. I think they were linked in a thread somewhere which I can't find. I ordered on impulse 17 days ago as they were only 74 cents USD each from China with free shipping to USA. I used the CTS line to atari command pin 7 and RespeQt for handshake with no issues. As pictured, the pin connectors on this board style are handy for use with the female to female dupont wires I had left over from a raspberry pi project. Likely counterfeit at this price, I was still pleasantly surprised with performance and the shipping time.

ebay link: http://tinyurl.com/yxvu667y

post-15209-0-19629900-1554951830_thumb.jpg

Discussion on these devices has become quite fragmented across many threads. Here are a few I found tonight for anyone wanting a refresher on making a SIO to PC over USB connection for use with APE, AspeQT or RespeQT.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242526-cheap-but-effective/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/182392-sio2usb-with-a-ftdi-basic-breakout-board/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/270145-diy-sio2usb/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242955-possible-cheap-alternative-to-sio2pc-usb/

• Like 4

• 1 year later...