2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I think it's replacing the battery that voids it, not removing the screws, unless there is some legal precedent that specifically involves replacing the battery.

the exact law referenced prevents manufacturers from tying warranties to exclusive repair service. you are legally allowed to service and repair your property, and the manufacturer cannot void your warranty *unless* they prove you caused the damage during the repair. magnuson moss warranty act.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/04/ftc-staff-warns-companies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage

apple will likely get this right taken away from us within the next decade, but for the moment if a company tries to deny your warranty you should immediately email a complaint to the FTC and CC the company's legal email address. they are in violation of the act.

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Well, if you take Analogue's battery out and replace it with a battery that isn't Analogue's battery, I'm pretty sure they'll notice it...

under the same law, analogue cannot force you to use analogue batteries. using a third party battery won't void your warranty, despite what analogue tells you. they'd have to prove the device failure was caused by the third party battery.

Edited by Lexibug
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lexibug said:

the exact law referenced prevents manufacturers from tying warranties to exclusive repair service. you are legally allowed to service and repair your property, and the manufacturer cannot void your warranty *unless* they prove you caused the damage during the repair. magnuson moss warranty act.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/04/ftc-staff-warns-companies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage

apple will likely get this right taken away from us within the next decade, but for the moment if a company tries to deny your warranty you should immediately email a complaint to the FTC and CC the company's legal email address. they are in violation of the act.

Yay, legal stuff! I'm not going to read the entire Act, but it's good to see that there is an actual legal thingy that I was too lazy to find myself.

I had some free time over the weekend, so I went in and fooled around with the video settings for the Super NT and Mega SG, both at latest firmware.

The standing issue is that scanlines are broken in 720p for both systems.  They do not line up correctly with the image unless you move the image upward a few pixels until the scanline filter "locks on" correctly (this resolves the problem but leaves the image off-center vertically, of course).  I suspect this is not more widely known or discussed for two reasons:

1. People probably just set the video to 1080p without scanlines
  2. Any discussion of anything these days takes place in Discord, making it impossible to search for anything unless you get into that whole thing

The off-center image began to bother me, and I never liked the ultra-sharp "emulator" look of these consoles, so I decided to just set both to output 480p.  Now, this is interesting!  This provides scanlines that look more natural (my 4K LG OLED even varies scanline thickness by color as on a CRT, when scaling up 480p!), for a look VERY close to a PVM/BVM.  There's also nothing to worry about with regard to aspect ratio; just set it to 640x480 and your TV to 4:3 and everything will scale to fit a 4:3 image just like on a CRT.

Finally got through the shipping nonsense, but then my card was declined. Entered in a second time with the same result and by the time I got my debit card out for a 3rd attempt at payment, it was out of stock.

I think I've been successfully cured of my attraction to Analogue products. ;)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Just now, Razzie.P said:

Mine says my order worked, got an order number (but no email yet).   I was expecting a much higher ship rate considering I added multiple accessories, but it was a single $23 fee.

Yea, mine was $21 for a Pocket, dock and screen protector. Looks like they finally got the shipping right anyway.