2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, zetastrike said:

Isn't it illegal to sell something on ebay that you don't actually have?  If you're going to scalp it, you should at least read ebay's rules and wait until ~2 weeks before you get it to make a listing.

Do any Pocket units actually exist?  The renders shown by Analogue look different than the ones from the unveiling.

Illegal? No. Nobody is going to arrest you. ?

But it is against eBay policy: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/presale-listings-policy?id=4252

("Presale listings must guarantee that the item will be shipped within 30 days of purchase")

Pocket auctions can be reported and will be canceled if eBay cares enough to follow their rules.

42 minutes ago, zetastrike said:

Isn't it illegal to sell something on ebay that you don't actually have?  If you're going to scalp it, you should at least read ebay's rules and wait until ~2 weeks before you get it to make a listing.

Do any Pocket units actually exist?  The renders shown by Analogue look different than the ones from the unveiling.

Im curious as to whats gonna happen when these people just don't send the Pocket for these preorders theyre selling on eBay, cuz eBay sure as hell isn't gonna refund them their money. Maybe they can get it back if they file a chargeback on their card, but I wouldn't take that chance.

36 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

Im curious as to whats gonna happen when these people just don't send the Pocket for these preorders theyre selling on eBay, cuz eBay sure as hell isn't gonna refund them their money. Maybe they can get it back if they file a chargeback on their card, but I wouldn't take that chance.

I'll get a first time slap on the wrist and forced to refund the full amount to the buyer.  What this means is that eBay/PayPal won't refund them the 10%/4% cut they take ("Seller's Fees") from the sale.  They'll be out 50-60 ish bucks depending. 

If they don't have the buyer's money in their PayPal account, eBay will just have them sent to collections.  eBay will also do a courtesy refund to the buyer in this sense and wash their hands of it (it's a tax write off for them in the bigger picture).  If this isn't a first time offense of the seller, they'll have their account suspended or banned and that's that.

Edited by Sho

12 minutes ago, Sho said:

I'll get a first time slap on the wrist and forced to refund the full amount to the buyer.  What this means is that eBay/PayPal won't refund them the 10%/4% cut they take ("Seller's Fees") from the sale.  They'll be out 50-60 ish bucks depending. 

If they don't have the buyer's money in their PayPal account, eBay will just have them sent to collections.  eBay will also do a courtesy refund to the buyer in this sense and wash their hands of it (it's a tax write off for them in the bigger picture).  If this isn't a first time offense of the seller, they'll have their account suspended or banned and that's that.

I don't know that they'll do that for a purchase 9 months ago though is my point.

8 hours ago, jamon1567 said:

I don't know that they'll do that for a purchase 9 months ago though is my point.

You're violating eBay's policy if you don't ship within 30 days:

Presale listings must clearly state that they are "presale" in the title and description, and guarantee delivery within 30 days of purchase.

In order to protect buyer and seller guarantees, presale listings must follow eBay policy, including listing the date the item will be available to ship.

What is the policy?

• Presale listings must guarantee that the item will be shipped within 30 days of purchase
  • The date the item will be available to ship must be clearly stated in the listing
  • Listings must clearly indicate in the title and description that the item is being offered for presale
  • Handling time details should include the time the seller will wait to acquire the item, in addition to the time it will take to ship to the buyer

Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/presale-listings-policy?id=4252

You can report those but eBay has so far ignored the reports.  (When you hit report these are the categories: Listing practices>Inappropriate seller terms>Presale)

I also question whether eBay would refund you, that your credit card company might not allow a chargeback that long after the fact and what does that do to your relationship with eBay. Also, Analogue probably won't give you warranty coverage on it which is a legitimate concern as we saw with the MegaSG adapters.  There are so many shady things that could happen with these.

Edited by Toth

1 hour ago, Toth said:

You can report those but eBay has so far ignored the reports.  (When you hit report these are the categories: Listing practices>Inappropriate seller terms>Presale)

I also question whether eBay would refund you, that your credit card company might not allow a chargeback that long after the fact and what does that do to your relationship with eBay. Also, Analogue probably won't give you warranty coverage on it which is a legitimate concern as we saw with the MegaSG adapters.  There are so many shady things that could happen with these.

eBay will for sure refund you, as they favor the seller over the buyer in most cases.  However, cases aren't supposed to go that long -- opening a case after 45+ days is suspect, and you have much less of a leg to stand on. 

Also it's not Analogue's responsibility to cover anything that's determined to be resold on eBay, so it's understandable that they wouldn't cover the Mega SG adapters.

4 hours ago, Toth said:

FYI, if you direct message AskeBay (official eBay support account) on Twitter they're a lot more responsive to this type of thing

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 4:35 PM, Sho said:

That's not how it works.

When eBay ends a listing, the listing fees are credited back to the person who listed it. If the listing already ended due to a winning bidder/buyer than it's a dispute between the buyer and seller, and if paid by paypal, falls under Paypal's policy.

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/presale-policy-and-reserves

PayPal’s preselling requirements.
If you’d like to presell items in an online store, keep in mind you’ll need to guarantee delivery within 20 days from the date of purchase and also let your customers know they’re buying a presale item.

If they paid the seller by some other means contact the payment provider to say no item was received.

If the seller tries it a third time, they are banned from eBay for life.

Do not bid on pre-orders, because you may just end up out the money, and do not list pre-orders because you're committing fraud.

Edited by Kismet

3 hours ago, Kismet said:

That's not how it works.

When eBay ends a listing, the listing fees are credited back to the person who listed it. If the listing already ended due to a winning bidder/buyer than it's a dispute between the buyer and seller, and if paid by paypal, falls under Paypal's policy.

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/presale-policy-and-reserves

If they paid the seller by some other means contact the payment provider to say no item was received.

If the seller tries it a third time, they are banned from eBay for life.

Do not bid on pre-orders, because you may just end up out the money, and do not list pre-orders because you're committing fraud.

Oki, is a tad different from directly selling an item that's in hand, but the gist is that there's a 3 strike against a repeat offender.  Also, from eBay's policy on Presales:

Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/presale-listings-policy?id=4252

Listing fees are not returned.  PayPal does and will work as hard as they can with the buyer to get their money back, same as eBay.  However, getting your money back is much harder if it goes over 30+ days.  Thankfully, there are multiple people actively reporting and having the Pocket listings taken down.  And eBay is absolutely not in the seller's favor in most disputes, even more so when outed as a scammer or doing shady things.

Sellers should handle all of their transactions via PayPal anyways IMO, but that's just me.  Much more oversight for both the buyer and seller.  A lot of those other CCs and banks can take a long time to handle and finalize a dispute (up to 80 days).

And finally agreed, no one should bid on (or list) pre-orders.  Unfortunately, you're not speaking to the right crowd on that one, I think.

Edited by Sho

On 8/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, jamon1567 said:

My order was #54548, and that was at 8 after. I think I was prob one of the last ones *phew* from what everyone is saying.

My order is #54409. I checked out at 11:01AM and it was stuck for several minutes on the shipping calculation screen. At around 5 minutes in I opened a remote desktop window on a second PC and hit F5 + Ctrl a few times and it finally went through on that one, while the other remained stuck.

I was expecting $40+ shipping, so that was a decent surprise.

AnaloguePocketOrder08-03-2020.png

20 minutes ago, spoonman said:

My order is #54409. I checked out at 11:01AM and it was stuck for several minutes on the shipping calculation screen. At around 5 minutes in I opened a remote desktop window on a second PC and hit F5 + Ctrl a few times and it finally went through on that one, while the other remained stuck.

I was expecting $40+ shipping, so that was a decent surprise.

AnaloguePocketOrder08-03-2020.png

Just so you know, the dock comes with the fast-charging thingy, so you'll have an extra one.

Hey, cool, Analogue just emailed me about the Mega Sg adaptors being back in stock like right now or something, if I'm doing the time zone conversion properly without referencing anything.

lol no, I forgot what day it is today (today's the 7th, but not in PST time zone). Semi-disregard!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

3 hours ago, narshe said:

Tomorrow. 

When I got the email from Analogue I was so excited... just to see that.. haha.  I mean, I am sure someone is looking for them.  I was foolish to think they'd make good on letting people do pocket preorders.  There marketing has been great with it, now every site talks about how it sold out in minutes.  That'll generate some real buzz for the next one and I bet folks will preorder to be part of the zeitgeist. 

The Mega Sg adaptors are back now (and have been for the better part of a day, it seems), but now I remember why I didn't buy these the first time. $49.99 + $34.99 for shipping is way too much for me for adaptors for cartridges that I don't own for game systems that I don't own.

Still WAY cheaper than the price of a Master System, though... those are crazy expensive here. You could buy a SuperGrafx for less or a Neo Geo AES for about the same price! Maybe I'll get the adaptors some day if they stay in stock/production, but not now. I do want to start getting SG-1000 and Mark III games eventually, so I hope the adaptors don't get discontinued.

I still have to get a Mega Sg first myself; the adapters don't interest me too much since I don't really care about many of the games on those platforms. For the few that I have, I can always just pull out my retrode, dump the roms, and add them to my Mega SD (well for GG and Master System anyways).

That said, given the history of these adapters, I think anyone that really wants them should probably pull the trigger. Who knows how long they will be available.

What is going on with the Master System prices? I have to admit that I don't really follow that, but they were not too bad last time I looked before the pandemic. Is it just that way in Japan?

5 hours ago, cybercylon said:

I still have to get a Mega Sg first myself; the adapters don't interest me too much since I don't really care about many of the games on those platforms. For the few that I have, I can always just pull out my retrode, dump the roms, and add them to my Mega SD (well for GG and Master System anyways).

That said, given the history of these adapters, I think anyone that really wants them should probably pull the trigger. Who knows how long they will be available.

What is going on with the Master System prices? I have to admit that I don't really follow that, but they were not too bad last time I looked before the pandemic. Is it just that way in Japan?

The Japanese Master System was produced in very small numbers and is probably more rare than the SuperGrafx, which means higher prices. This is not reflected on ebay, as people know that the SuperGrafx can be sold for a lot of money due to its rarity and because it never got released outside of Japan, so people outside of Japan don't understand how much it is really worth.

My SuperGrafx was 20000 yen plus tax for a total of 22000 yen, system only and missing the back cover. A Master System, system only, will typically run 23000~27000, tax not included.

Never occurred me to look up yen/dollar comparisons recently, but 20,000 yen is about $190 US dollars. A supergrafx for $190... yea... I would have bought one ages ago. $500 at least now. I think I will pass. I've seen them go for less without anything... one of the lowest I spotted was $300, but it looked like someone had peed on the logic board (Hate it when people sell retro stuff that is filthy).

3 hours ago, cybercylon said:

Never occurred me to look up yen/dollar comparisons recently, but 20,000 yen is about $190 US dollars. A supergrafx for $190... yea... I would have bought one ages ago. $500 at least now. I think I will pass. I've seen them go for less without anything... one of the lowest I spotted was $300, but it looked like someone had peed on the logic board (Hate it when people sell retro stuff that is filthy).

I can make you feel even worse if you want; I bought my SuperGrafx in the first week of April this year, so they are still not bad here even now. Actually finding one is the hard part, though. I looked for one for about 8~9 months before I found one aside from the overpriced ones on Amazon Japan. They are in fairly high demand, so they sell quickly. You're absolutely getting ripped off if you pay more than $250~$300 for a CIB SuperGrafx since they go for about 30000 yen CIB here... at least, that's the price that the store employees tell me it goes for CIB when I ask. I found a ton of them maybe a year and a half ago before I wanted to get one, but they're all long gone now and I was lucky to find my kind of beat-up SuperGrafx. Still have not seen a SuperGrafx in town since I found mine, too.

8 am PST is a three hours difference and is about when getting ready to hit the road to go to work. Not that it matters... didn't have $500+ then, and I sure don't now.

Still, I hope this is open for more than five minutes and are not just extra stock from those that may have cancelled due to the delay so everyone that wants it can get it. (I think if one is worried about delays these days with most things... then don't order...)

Edited by cybercylon

If we're trying to figure out how many spare v2's there were, my order is #59025.

I was late (afternoon) to the mega sg cart adapter availability on the 7th, and my order was #57732. probably not too many orders after that and before the start of the v2 run.

I've made 4 orders from them in the last month, five if we count the amazon 8bitdo sale.  At this point I might as well just start mailing my paycheck straight to analogue.

If v2 really does everything my v1 does, I'll possibly sell that older one to cover much of the v2 cost.  A shame its controller died on me, that's part of the package.

Edited by Reaperman