2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, konradklaus said:

Just like the pocket it has the warning about no roms.  I wonder if the days of jailbroken analogue devices is over.  This really makes me want the pocket more... Hope they open those preorders up again so everyone who'd like one can order one.

I'm fairly certain that's been on all of their recent devices, and I'm also fairly certain it was already said that it would be jailbroken, although I may be confusing that with the Noir. Regardless, why would that make you want the Pocket more? That almost certainly should make you want it less....

Edit: perhaps you're just saying this announcement makes you want the Pocket more, in which case disregard my question.

Edited by jamon1567

Heh, nice to know what they have announced.

This time I will pass: the limited quantity thing is really tiresome, and I won't be left with major bugs in a closed firmware again, NEVER. I had enough of Analogue.

-On the MegaSG: Stupidly broken pixel-blending, tearing in Master System games and incompatibilities.

-On the SuperNT: Saved settings not applied unless I boot from cartidge.

That's what accuracy means for Analogue. Don't be fooled like I was.

None of these happen on the MiSTer MegaDrive an SNES cores, which have greatly surpassed mediocre Analogue cores after community collaboration and bugfixing.

Also, the only FPGA developer they are know to have (and who created this thread) DID laugh at us with that "I don't post there anymore beacause all they do is complaining, LOL!" he dedicated us months ago. Great way to get the appreciation of the community, sir.

I will be sure to buy everything you work on, yes, you can be sure of that.

This new expensive an inaccessible piece of junk will also be left with bugs like ALL their previous products. If you can get one to begin with, that's it.

This time, opensource projects got there first: on the MiSTer, we have perfect PC-Engine, SuperGrafx and PC-EngineCD cores already. No need for more expensive and bug-ridden closed shit.

Edited by vanfanel
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

lol

Sure they are, they're not being forced into limited runs. They've decided to do it this way.

I'm not sure, given the evidence, why you think this. As I stated in that same post, they were not going to be able to produce the Pocket (at least initially) in huge numbers because of the screen they had to source, and the Noir was a limited time final run of something that A) was a pain in the ass to produce anyway, and B) a platform (NES) they publicly stated they were finished with. Then you throw in covid and the shortages everyone is facing (and which no doubt is exacerbated for small companies like Analogue), I'm not sure what you can point to to confirm that theory.

I mean, you might be right, and I'm not here to defend them, but I think there are a lot of factors at play here other than them wanting to screw everyone just because they can. And as I also pointed out, and which you ignored, they didn't previously artificially limit runs of other products such as the original Mini, SNt and MSg.

Edited by jamon1567
  • Like 1

I don't hold the Nt Mini Noir against them. Preorders were open at least a week before they closed for the primary first round. My only problem was jealously that I couldn't justify the $500 asking price. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you can think any other way with their scarcity. The COVID Gods didn't look down at Analogue and say that you can only produce X amount of these and open preorders once.

It's an Analogue decision to make these limited time items and not attempt to fully meet demand over time. Presumably they believe that the rush of people trying to secure their order by implementing artificial scarcity is wiser financially for them despite less overall sales and alienating customers, than it is trying to sell greater numbers over a more extended period of time, paying inventory taxes as they relatively slowly sell a production batch after the initial release day rush, and so on as seen with the Super Nt and Mega Sg.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how you can think any other way. The COVID Gods didn't look down at Analogue and say that you can only produce X amount of these and open preorders once.

Yes actually, they quite literally did. It's happened to every industry. If you think that the factories in China that make these specialized displays, that are only really used in VR headsets as I understand, did not cut any of that production, then I don't really know what to tell you. But even if they didn't, Analogue still had to fight against those other players for displays and they were never going to be able to compete with them on volume, hence the limited supplies, which btw they said from the get go before covid even.

It's an Analogue decision to make these limited time items and not attempt to fully meet demand. Presumably they believe that the rush of people trying to secure their order by implementing artificial scarcity is wiser financially for them despite less overall sales and alienating customers, than it is trying to sell greater numbers over a more extended period of time, paying inventory taxes as they relatively slowly sell a production batch after the initial release day rush, and so on as seen with the Super Nt and Mega Sg.

The reason a strategy like this works for a company like LRG is precisely because the only real value of a lot of what they sell is the very fact that it's scarce. Most of their items are repackaged limited edition sets of things you can get elsewhere. That is not really comparable to Analogue and I highly doubt they enjoy the prestige of being limited more than they enjoy making money. Could be wrong, but it seems a lot more likely that they would rather make as much money as they can.

Edit: I see you've edited your original response to include the bit about the Noir. If that's what you were referring to regarding scarcity, then yea, I guess you have a point, but they never advertised it as anything other than a limited final run. It was basically a limited edition so it doesn't really apply to the broader conversation of whether Analogue is artificially constraining production of their main line products.

Edited by jamon1567

I edited my post to specifically reference the Noir, in order to explain that I haven't been referring to it (Although it certainly is still applicable). I have no complaints about how it has been handled. It's a high end product and anyone that's been sitting on the sidelines wishing they hadn't missed out on the Nt Mini and were serious about buying one if it were made available again, had plenty of time to place a preorder.

And I don't know what to tell you. If you think suppliers are telling Analogue how long they can sell a product for and ultimately how many they can sell by the time they finally discontinue it, I can't help you.

Everyone understands that there are shortages, delays, and so on in 2020 due to this pandemic. While supply chain difficulties potentially could mean that Analogue can only have X amounts of units available at launch despite demand for let's say twice that amount, it doesn't excuse what you allege that it does.

Nobody is forcing Analogue to make this newly announced system a limited time item. It's an Analogue decision to only ever produce a certain amount of them and make preorders available once (And likely a couple of brief "last chance" opportunities afterwards). It's not a Chinese factory's decision.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

I edited my post about the Noir, to explain that I was never referring to it. I have no complaints about how it has been handled.

And I edited mine when I saw that as well.

As for the rest of your argument....the main things I was addressing were the Noir and the Pocket which are the things everyone's been bitching about WRT to limited availability and which I think are easily explained. The other complaint is restocking the Super Nt, and honestly, I don't have an answer for why that hasn't happened. Presumably a mix of things, but it is odd. I guess we'll have to see what happens with the Duo, but if it is a 2 minute sellout shit show I'll be disappointed as well.

Edited by jamon1567

51 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

I'm fairly certain that's been on all of their recent devices, and I'm also fairly certain it was already said that it would be jailbroken, although I may be confusing that with the Noir. Regardless, why would that make you want the Pocket more? That almost certainly should make you want it less....

Edit: perhaps you're just saying this announcement makes you want the Pocket more, in which case disregard my question.

Yeah, rereading what I wrote, I wasn't clear.  Sorry about that.  I meant the announcement makes me want the Pocket more because not only will it do the originally announced systems, now it can do PC Engine and MAYBE we'll get lucky and do the cd as well.

I looked back at the Mega SG and Super NT, neither of those pages have anything about not playing roms.  I could really see the Noir, Pocket, and Duo not having jailbreak firmware.  I certainly hope I am wrong.

I just hope the Pocket becomes available for all who want it can get it.  Then, ideally, it will be jailbroken.  I am sure it won't get extra functionality ala the NT Mini, but if it can have all the supported systems that have adapters... that'd be sweet.

12 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Nobody is forcing Analogue to make this newly announced system a limited time item.

Also btw, I'm not sure that's actually even what is going on. They've promised more Pocket pre-orders and I would assume the same for the Duo as well. Time will tell I guess, but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest otherwise based on what they've said.

1 minute ago, konradklaus said:

I could really see the Noir, Pocket, and Duo not having jailbreak firmware.

I know for a fact Kev confirmed the jailbreak will be back for the Noir. I thought I saw something about the Pocket too, but I may be misremembering. Regardless, based on historical precedence, I'm fairly certain it will be a thing. The only thing I think probably won't happen is CD support for the Pocket.

6 minutes ago, jamon1567 said:

I know for a fact Kev confirmed the jailbreak will be back for the Noir. I thought I saw something about the Pocket too, but I may be misremembering. Regardless, based on historical precedence, I'm fairly certain it will be a thing. The only thing I think probably won't happen is CD support for the Pocket.

Alright I'll trust you bud.  If the Pocket gets the JB and they don't make them available, I will be super bummed.

2 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Aside from the NT Mini, Kev has never said anything about a jailbreak. And Analogue has never supported nor acknowledged any jailbreak.. period. 

That said, they all got it. I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Just to clarify, cuz I'm not sure if you're referring to the Noir when you say the Mini, but Kev did say (it was either here or on Discord....Discord I believe) the Noir was getting the jailbreak. So we're def good there, but as you say, no real reason to worry based on history.

12 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

I'll be skipping out on this one.  I have the Super NT and Mega SG, and I like both but am annoyed at the little issues they have when set to any resolution other than 1080p.  I'm happy to stick with original hardware for the PC Engine I think.

Hopefully Kevtris gets this core a little closer to perfect and I'm guessing after the MSG sells out, they will do a new run with a CD ROM attachment (like this) with a new shell and, BOOM Mega SG CD is born...

1 hour ago, XtraSmiley said:

Hopefully Kevtris gets this core a little closer to perfect and I'm guessing after the MSG sells out, they will do a new run with a CD ROM attachment (like this) with a new shell and, BOOM Mega SG CD is born...

That would require writing a whole new core for the Sega CD, whereas, if I recall correctly, the PCE CD was really just a drive an that's about it. I wouldn't hold your breath on that, but I do believe the logical next step will be a PS1.

3 hours ago, jamon1567 said:

That would require writing a whole new core for the Sega CD, whereas, if I recall correctly, the PCE CD was really just a drive an that's about it. I wouldn't hold your breath on that, but I do believe the logical next step will be a PS1.

True, but I have to wonder if the Analogue Duo's FPGA is strong enough to do PS1 itself. The Duo's CD drive should theoretically be able to read PS1 discs, no?

1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

True, but I have to wonder if the Analogue Duo's FPGA is strong enough to do PS1 itself. The Duo's CD drive should theoretically be able to read PS1 discs, no?

The PS1 was a lot more complex than a PC Engine, as people said, the PC Engine cd isn't adding any additional hardware besides the optical disk.  Things like the Sega Cd had a whole other processor and things.  If we start seeing PS1 on Mister, then I'd expect analogue to make one.  As for it reading PS1 disks, sure, any drive could read them.  A jailbreak won't let you turn the thing into a PS1 though...

21 hours ago, jamon1567 said:

I'll respectfully disagree. Sega CD is the next easiest thus logical step. I would tell you to not hold your breath on a PS1, after all, even Sony has decided they are passing on it.

I would venture a guess that Kevtris might be trying to come up with a 32x solution as well, but this might be a reach!

Edited by XtraSmiley