2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, dudeguy said:

Not for a long time. Theyre putting all their eggs in the Pocket basket for now since they know most people just want it for emulation and they dont think anybody still uses those systems you mentioned to play cartridges.

The first part of your sentence is true, but even though they retired the Mega Sg and Super Nt, they still assume people will use them or they wouldn't do another batch at all. And I don't get your thing about 'emulation' (it's the same hardware emulation with or without a real cart). They're focusing on the Pocket because it's new and it has Analogue OS, that's it. And the fact it's more versatile than their previous systems (being an hybrid handheld/console) makes it also more relevant probably.

I clearly wouldn't count on a firmware update this year either, but claiming it will never happen is dumb. I'm not allowed to say much (and I don't know much anyway) but I just know it's wrong to feel that way.

• Like 1

And like I told you on the last page, they confirmed quite sometime ago that Analogue OS won't be backported to the Nt Mini, Super Nt, Mega Sg, or Nt Mini Noir. It's exclusive to the Pocket and future Analogue systems. No "will they" or "can they" is involved when they've confirmed that they're not backporting it to older Analogue systems.

Edited by Atariboy

4 hours ago, Atariboy said:

And like I told you on the last page, they confirmed quite sometime ago that Analogue OS won't be backported to the Nt Mini, Super Nt, Mega Sg, or Nt Mini Noir. It's exclusive to the Pocket and future Analogue systems. No "will they" or "can they" is involved when they've confirmed that they're not backporting it to older Analogue systems.

why?

Question...

Since OpenFPGA developers can access the cartridge slot, for things such as DS Rumble Paks (GBA cart), and for accelerometer carts (Yoshi, Kirby, Wario, for example). I wonder if it's possible to create cartridge adapters, to be used for playing actual Genesis, NES, SNES carts with the cores. I saw the post about using SNAC controller adapter via this slot. Having both working would Essentially turn the Pocket into the Zimba 3000.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:18 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Theoretically you could do it. Can't wait to plug my Neo Turf Masters MVS cart into the Pocket!

I'd love a Neo•Geo cart adapter. It would proabiy look more like a Pocket and cart holder. My AES recently stopped reading any of my carts, so this would be helpful for me. 

Collection-Neo-Geo-vgo.thumb.jpg.2befdc20ed1fab627a7630748e450aa2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 7:56 PM, spoonman said:

That's debatable, but yes, it was largely the scene uploaders, who provided for everyone else. I used to dump/release/package/crack/upload, back in the late eighties, early nineties. Many of those releases are still floating around in archives today. The MAME team truly does god's work. Some of those boards were extremely rare, and were literally dying as they were dumping the roms. I believe there is a high road when it comes to all of this stuff. I used to treat the downloading of games in the 80's and early 90's like demos. "Try before you buy". When possible, I always bought every single game that I thought was worth playing. I know not everyone does that though. 

What release scenes were you active in? Could you extremely briefly describe how you went about removing the anti-piracy features (cracking) of these retro games back in the day? It’s a very interesting topic and I’m interested for academic reasons. Given that the methods you used 20-30 years ago would not be viable now, I see no reason why you can’t give us a bit of a history lesson!

Edited by SlCKB0Y

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 6:58 AM, SlCKB0Y said:

What release scenes were you active in? Could you extremely briefly describe how you went about removing the anti-piracy features (cracking) of these retro games back in the day? It’s a very interesting topic and I’m interested for academic reasons. Given that the methods you used 20-30 years ago would not be viable now, I see no reason why you can’t give us a bit of a history lesson!

Sorry, I don't really want to dig all of that up. There were a few good documentaries on the hacking/cracking scene of the 80' and 90's. I think it was called BBS: The Series. Some of my releases actually show up in it. :P Luckily it flashes by in about a tenth of a second. I know most publishers wouldn't bother to go after anyone this far down the road. No reason to kick those hornet's nests though. 

Most of the cracking I have done was very simple level stuff. I learned what to look for based on the work of much more skilled people than myself.  With a hex editor I'd search for SRAM protections and patch them out. Then I'd create an IPS of the difference. Primarily with SNES games I should add. My skills with that era were mostly with designing graphics for cracktro/intros, making NFO files, including ASCII art, and so on.. but I'll leave it there. Sorry I couldn't be more informative. 

• Like 1

Going to have to agree with spoonman there, but in all fair disclosure I just connected some dots seeing old post sickboy there just quoted from 2022 and yeah, I remember that bbs/internet nickname from the era and would likely be best not to dig it up.  I'm sure nothing likely would come of it after decades but still, no reason to poke the bear.  I'm in the same boat but unlike him I'm not using my old call sign from the 90s as it is tied to enough using the same idea of try before you buy, it's no longer supported, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be having issues with OpenFPGA. Games start to glitch. Has happened with multiple cores like the SNES and GBA cores. For an example, the Arwings started to collide with the hangar during the launch sequence at the beginning to Star Fox for the SNES. Started with a sliver of health and broken wings, launched a bomb, and blew myself up.

Hasn't yet happened to cartridge games. Anyone have any advice? Using a brand new 256 gig Sandisk micro SD card formatted to exFAT.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I seem to be having issues with OpenFPGA. Games start to glitch. Has happened with multiple cores like the SNES and GBA cores. For an example, the Arwings started to collide with the hangar during the launch sequence at the beginning to Star Fox for the SNES. Started with a sliver of health and broken wings, launched a bomb, and blew myself up.

Hasn't yet happened to cartridge games. Anyone have any advice? Using a brand new 256 gig Sandisk micro SD card formatted to exFAT.

Honestly, just reformat your card and start from scratch.  Make sure to use one of the latest updaters to help get things going smoothly.  I like Matt Panella's updater, but Retrodriven's is really nice too if you want a fancier GUI. 

https://github.com/mattpannella/pocket-updater-utility/releases

That is insane.... wow just wow.  I've never heard of that error even in the old era of when I was testing early SNES emulators for basic glitches as chipsets were added.  I'd love to see a video of that failure as it sounds amusing.  News at a 11, drunk hero furries crash in hangar attempting to save planet. :D

I'm wondering if another core somehow was at fault. For two days I was encountering strange things in OpenFPGA, but only after trying the Amiga core (I can't seem to get any games to load). I didn't try last night and was able to spend an hour without any glitches across various cores, before inserting a GBA cartridge and playing a physical game for a while.

While I've been using RetroDriven's updater, I think what SegaSnatcher said is probably the course of action I need. Reformat and start from a fresh slate with the latest updater from RetroDriven (Since even if it is the Amiga core, it shouldn't be creating lingering issues for other cores afterwards). Then if it reoccurs again, I'll try a different card.

I suspect the Pocket itself is fine (and I sure as heck hope it is).

Edited by Atariboy

Interestingly, I can reliably reproduce this.

I load up the Amiga core, select what I mistakenly believed to be my bios file (which in actuality isn't it, since I was selecting the "mpu.bin" file which isn't it) , and then try to load any ADF floppy image off disk drive #1. Then if I quit the core and load up another core, the fun starts happening (Including that Star Fox launch glitch).

While I've been doing it wrong since I need a Kickstart bios rom in the common folder with my ADF images, I'm still puzzled why anything I do in the Amiga core would have lingering effects in different cores until I power cycle the system. Doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Things are pretty quiet on the Analogue Pocket front, eh? :)

What cores are people still hoping to see show up on the Pocket?

I'm personally still hopeful we may see a Philips CD-i core, but since there isn't a MiSTer core for it yet it may be a while. 

19 hours ago, spoonman said:

Things are pretty quiet on the Analogue Pocket front, eh? :)

What cores are people still hoping to see show up on the Pocket?

I'm personally still hopeful we may see a Philips CD-i core, but since there isn't a MiSTer core for it yet it may be a while. 

We got outrun less than a month ago, but things have slowed a bit from the initial rush.

I'd really like to see A8 core ported over. Tens of thousands of games in that library, many of which aren't keyboard-dependent. I especially like the Synapse Software titles.

I'll have to try out that tamagotchi one, but I kind of hope it expands to digimon which is probably the same hardware except with network contacts. I can picture myself wanting to raise/battle a number simultaneously like a--like a grandma with 9 bingo cards.