2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, bikerspade said:

Is this still happening with the recent update?

Nope, I can confirm it’s definitely been fixed along with the screen tearing which is fantastic.

Sadly the the Codemasters SMS carts still don’t work so not all issues are fixed. Although these don’t work on all genuine MS MK1 consoles either. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Neo-Geo works fine for me. 

Not for me, I get a variety of issues.

One example is Neo Drift Out. It boots fine, but before you leave the attract mode some Neo Geo failure screen comes up about I think a memory error. Overtop has a lot of graphical glitches for another example.

I've not tried a wide variety of games, but of the 6-7 that I have ran, I've had issues in every single one.

Edited by Atariboy

On 4/30/2023 at 3:15 AM, spoonman said:

Things are pretty quiet on the Analogue Pocket front, eh? :)

What cores are people still hoping to see show up on the Pocket?

I'm personally still hopeful we may see a Philips CD-i core, but since there isn't a MiSTer core for it yet it may be a while. 

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting there wasn't anything to play on the Pocket.. Just the opposite. I haven't even caught up with all of the cores!

I should have been more clear. I was wondering primarily about Analogue firmware updates, and more specifically when we will see Analogue update the Pocket so we can get the filters on openFPGA. I guess we still didn't her this supported on the latest update.

I also found it kind of funny that there wasn't any Analogue updates in months.. I ask, and a few days later, *poof!* there it is. :P

On 5/6/2023 at 9:23 PM, Atariboy said:

Not for me, I get a variety of issues.

One example is Neo Drift Out. It boots fine, but before you leave the attract mode some Neo Geo failure screen comes up about I think a memory error. Overtop has a lot of graphical glitches for another example.

I've not tried a wide variety of games, but of the 6-7 that I have ran, I've had issues in every single one.

Neo Drift Out and Overtop works just fine for me, sounds like something is wrong with your setup.   I recommend you use UniBios.  

Also, make sure you are on latest Neo-Geo core release and Pocket firmware.

Edited by SegaSnatcher

It would have been nice if they kept their crap together well into the past at this rate.  I would have made the attempt to get this, but now all I've got is a PCE Mini and a full load hacked 2nd (hakchi'd) SNES CE with the card side of things.  That's just a $250 money pit at this point with no media, media now that's horribly priced even on the poor to rotten stuff.  And given their track record with their Analogue OS and writing what a system will offer out of the box, versus how much does NOT work with he Pocket and it's dock... NO, just no.  Too many delays, and too many broken promises amounting to fraud to sell hardware/accessories.

Interesting to see this now. I wonder what their traditional big announcement date in October will give. News of Duo preorders shipping out, perhaps?

I think I'll wait and see how this evolves. Presumably "limited quantities" doesn't mean one and done when it comes to the opportunity to order one. So maybe in the 2nd or 3rd round...

I never have much luck with their preorders, the Pocket is still in need of many improvements that aren't happening very quickly (and likely will be moving even slower if they're going to be allocating some of their resources to this project), and the jailbreak side is too uncertain these days with their products. For instance we always seemed to see the jailbreak counterpart be updated with each firmware update in short order. But instead of within 24 hours like in the past, it's been a couple of weeks now with no sign of the Nt Mini Noir, Mega Sg, and Super Nt getting updated with the latest fixes.

Without an existing Hucard and CD collection, I'd be largely relying on jailbreak functionality with the Duo. So it simply wouldn't make sense for me until the situation is a bit more concrete (I'd love to build a small collection with some of the few decent releases that aren't crazily expensive these days, but I'm not about to spend over $300 on this when such a collection will be guaranteed to stay small, at least until the jailbreak side of it is more firmed up).

Happily for those of us like myself that own the Pocket, we have OpenFPGA and already have a great 3rd party PC Engine/TG16 core (And I'm sure the CD core will be improving as well). So it's going to be easy to not be tempted to try to get a preorder in on day 1. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

How so? They'll take a while to ship once they have everyone's order. 

They charge you up front. For many of us it's simply a matter of not having the money at the moment. Had they given us a larger heads up on this, it would have been possible for people to better prepare for it.

Edited by Austin

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That's just a $250 money pit at this point with no media, media now that's horribly priced even on the poor to rotten stuff.

Well, speak for yourself, man. I still have my PCE collection. But I'm glad you're not interested in it, it will be easier for me to get one, then! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, speak for yourself, man. I still have my PCE collection. But I'm glad you're not interested in it, it will be easier for me to get one, then! 😊

For those that don't have a PCE collection already, a Turbo Everdrive and a stack of CDr media isn't that expensive. Some of us have been going that route for a long time. Likewise, the thing will probably also end up jailbroken eventually, if the MegaSG and SuperNT are anything to go by. So it's still a solid deal IMO. Original PCE DUOs are some of the most flaky consoles out there (which is unfortunate, because they are awesome systems) and so a modern replacement is a great idea for fans of the platform.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 4

Yeah I was always considering it but I think this will be the first Analogue FPGA console I'm going to sit out on.

I do have a bunch of TG16 and PCE cards, but having the Analogue Pocket, the MiSTer, Emulation of all kinds including the TG16 Mini, the PCE Mini, my original two TG16s, my TurboDuo, and Everdrive paired with them (and a Retrotink 5x Pro)  it just becomes hard to justify the cost for more redundancy. Granted.. redundancy didn't deter me from the other consoles, but it's getting ridiculous. 😜 Not to mention, I was a early adopter of the Turbografx in the US at launch, and have pretty much played most any Turbo game I would be interested in to death over the decades, etc. as the library isn't exactly huge.  

So yeah.. looks great but I'm going to sit this one out. I do fully reserve the right to change my mind at any time though. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NE146 said:

I do have a bunch of TG16 and PCE cards, but having the Analogue Pocket, the MiSTer, Emulation of all kinds including the TG16 Mini, the PCE Mini, my original two TG16s, my TurboDuo, and Everdrive paired with them (and a Retrotink 5x Pro)  it just becomes hard to justify the cost for more redundancy. Granted.. redundancy didn't deter me from the other consoles, but it's getting ridiculous. 😜

I'm curious: What if they jailbreak the Duo and suddenly, you're able to play PS1 discs on it? Would that make you change your mind?

(I'm asking NE146, but I could ask that same question to anyone else here.)

It seems to take out a pretty much fully decked out MiSTer setup to do that, so I personally doubt that it will have the horsepower. Plus we've not heard anything about this including Open FPGA.

While I personally hope the Pocket's openness is their new standard for future systems, it's not guaranteed. And unless it's open to 3rd party developers like the Pocket is (and which their prior FPGA based systems weren't), I can already tell you that it's not going to run PS1 games. 

If their own in-house engineers ever develop a PS1 core and a non-infringing bios, it's not going to be an unannounced freebie tied to another product. It would instead be a major standalone hardware release, include PS1 controller ports and memory card ports, likely a new 8BitDo wireless PS1 controller would be announced, etc.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

The wife is going to attempt the feat of successfully completing an analogue preorder.  Wish her luck.

I did warn her that even Frodo, who got the ring all the way to Mt. Doom, failed to secure a Pocket in the preorder rush last time...

Unfortunately I turned in my timecard for the week already, so I'm 100% out on this one.

I kind of wish it had a turbotap built in or available as an addon. Feels like it probably should have that. I guess I just keep using the old one, or admit to myself that I don't have friends. 🤣

Really $250 is an awesomely fair price for an HDMI supergrafx+CD in any universe...except maybe slightly the slightly spoiled universe that's had MiSTer and Analogue Pocket for years. 

Edited by Reaperman

46 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

While I personally hope the Pocket's openness is their new standard for future systems, it's not guaranteed. And unless it's open to 3rd party developers like the Pocket is (and which their prior FPGA based systems weren't), I can already tell you that it's not going to run PS1 games.

Alright, so what about a core that plays DVDs?  :P

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

I'm curious: What if they jailbreak the Duo and suddenly, you're able to play PS1 discs on it? Would that make you change your mind?

(I'm asking NE146, but I could ask that same question to anyone else here.)

Well I'm pretty sure it will get jailbroken (unofficially), like every other analogue console, but I doubt it would be for PS1 stuff.  :) However even if it does.. it would kind of be the same thing at least for me where there's just too many options, with a few regular Playstation (modded) to play discs, and the MiSTer playing psx stuff well. And not to mention the PS3 does it pretty ok also. I'm just getting too much redundant ways to play the same games. 😜

Analogue Duo is something I consider.

I am a Tg-16 owner with an adapter to play to play Pc engine cards.  I became a Tg-16 owner around 2005 or 2006. I stayed from the CD side of the system for a reason.  I read Turbo duo has a history of durability issues. I read in the past the pc engine Duo R systems are the best in durability, but the demand has affected the price.

Edited by 8th lutz