IGNORED

Games that are the "Graphics Pinnacle" for their respective system

Hey AA people,

I was just wondering what games you thought were the best examples of graphics on any given system. Below is my list. I realize this is subjective and I'm curious to see what your favorites are.

Atari 2600: Halo 2600

Atari 5200: Rescue on Fractalus,

Atari 7800: Commando

Atari Jaguar: Alien vs. Predator

Atari Lynx: Zaku

NES: Super Mario Bros 3

SNES: Starfox

N64: Banjo Kazooie

Gamecube: Metroid Prime (via component cable)

Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles

Wii U: Watchdogs

Genesis: Road Rash III

Sega CD: Snatcher

32X: Metalhead

Sega Saturn: Panzer Dragoon II

Sega Dreamcast: Shenmue

3DO: Bladeforce

TG-16: Air Zonk

I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better option than Starfox for the SNES, other than perhaps some of the pre-rendered titles like Donkey Kong Country, though those are divisive.

For NES? I love SMB3, but I think there are some games that might best it (it's all opinion anyway, right?). I know it's cheating a bit since they're Japan-only Famicom games, but Crisis Force (gorgeous scrolling/backgrounds) and Recca (detailed sprites by the bucketload, virtually no slowdown) come to mind.

Battletoads (with its horizontal/vertical switching, the "robot POV" boss-battle) is pretty good, and Kirby's Adventure and Little Samson are also top-notch in color and detail. And while not up to the par set by those, I have a soft spot for the fun, detailed, and colorful sprites and backgrounds in Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu. Should be noted that lots of these were from late in the lifespan, so some/many have extra chips in the carts themselves, right?

Atari 2600 has stuff like Beamrider and even high-color low-flicker games Keystone Kapers and Pressure Cooker. I dig Halo 2600 a LOT (more than I should), but I think Beamrider bests it due to the percieved 3-D effect.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and I'm interested to see what the rest of the AA community thinks about this perennial debate-starter...

"Atari 2600 has stuff like Beamrider and even high-color low-flicker games Keystone Kapers and Pressure Cooker. "

The 2600 was originally designed to play "Pong" and "Combat". That it was later able to do stuff like "Solaris", "Juno First" and "Keystone Kapers" amazes the heck out of me. No other console has been pushed harder.

I second "Battletoads" for NES. It's too bad that the game is so hard that most players won't see beyond the third stage except in Youtube videos.

For Sega Genesis I might go with "Vectorman". It's like a glorified tech demo.

"Axelay" is an impressive game that isn't "Donkey Kong Country" and doesn't use special chips.

"Spyro the Dragon" demonstrated that the Playstation could handle a polished 3D platformer comparable to what was on the N64.

"Atari 2600 has stuff like Beamrider and even high-color low-flicker games Keystone Kapers and Pressure Cooker. "

The 2600 was originally designed to play "Pong" and "Combat". That it was later able to do stuff like "Solaris", "Juno First" and "Keystone Kapers" amazes the heck out of me. No other console has been pushed harder.

I second "Battletoads" for NES. It's too bad that the game is so hard that most players won't see beyond the third stage except in Youtube videos.

For Sega Genesis I might go with "Vectorman". It's like a glorified tech demo.

"Axelay" is an impressive game that isn't "Donkey Kong Country" and doesn't use special chips.

"Spyro the Dragon" demonstrated that the Playstation could handle a polished 3D platformer comparable to what was on the N64.

I COMPLETLY forgot about "Solaris". That would almost certainly trump Beamrider in my book, graphically speaking. Good call.

Very cool thread idea! There are a lot of consoles listed in the original post that I have little to no experience with, so I can't speak in regards to all of them, but of the ones I've owned and played extensively here's my picks:

Home Consoles

Atari 2600: Solaris

NES: Kirby's Adventure

Sega Genesis: Virtua Racing

PlayStation: Tekken 3

PlayStation 2: Okami

GameCube: Star Fox Adventures

Wii: Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Portable Consoles

Game Boy: Faceball 2000

Game Boy Color: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Game Boy Advance: Iridion 3D

Nintendo DS: Metroid Prime Hunters

I know a lot of those home console picks may be pretty subjective (especially once you get into the PS1, PS2, GameCube, and Wii), but I do feel fairly confident about my portable console choices. :)

Edited by Jin

Oh Kirby's Adventure is amazing. If it had more color depth it would be at home on the Genesis. As is, it looks like a TG-16 game.

I like games that are stylized or use something like cel-shading. It holds up better over time and doesn't seem to tax the system. Years later I remain impressed by Mega Man Legends, Robotech: Battlecry (looks like the show!) and other games of that nature.

This is not what this topic is asking, I know. I could see something like Suikoden III on a modern system though and that seems pretty good.

Trying to balance overall 'good lookin'-ness' vs 'impressive technical achievement' . Here goes!

Atari 2600. Original = Robot Tank. Overall = Lady Bug.

Atari 5200. Probably Rescue on Fractalus. Hard to argue against that. I would also vote for Adventure II due to Raccoon Lad's artwork on the mazes and castles.

Atari A8 computers. I'm not as well versed with all available, but the new "AtariBlast" is very impressive to me, graphically.

Colecovision. Again I'm not very familiar. For me, probably Turbo due to the huge building 'scaling' effects which you just didn't see on a console, back then.

Sega Genesis. I vote for Adventures of Batman & Robin, by Clockwork Tortoise. Streets of Rage 2 also looks fantastic. Technically, Virtua Racing wins with its 3D chip.

Sega CD. Ecco the Dolphin for its beautiful artwork and shading. Silpheed's 3D effect was very impressive back in the day, but doesn't hold up now. Hmm.. Final Fight CD and Eternal Champions CD have big characters , detailed backgrounds, and tons of animation! I guess I have to give it to Final Fight CD.

Sega Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Zwei. PD Saga is a more impressive game but not graphically better, overall. Some of the scenes in PDZ are really cool! (Dead or Alive import is pretty impressive also).

Dreamcast - Shenmue and Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2 for different reasons each.

Atari 2600: Solaris

Atari 5200: Adventure 2

Atari 7800: Commando

Colecovision: Zaxxon

NES: Kirby's Adventure

Turbo Grafx 16: Bonk's Revenge

Genesis: Comix Zone

SNES: Yoshi's Island

PS1: Crash Bandicoot Warped

N64: Goldeneye

Saturn: Panzer Dragoon

Dreamcast: Shenmue

PS2: GTA Vice City

some of my go-to prettiest games. Nothing too surprising in the list, but I'm not seeing much overlap.

It was kind of painful putting two gran turismo games on it.

gba: moto racer advance

Atari 800: Koronis Rift

Atari 2600: Battlezone

Atari 7800: Ballblazer

Neo Geo: Mark of the Wolves

Genesis: Lightening Force

3do: wing commander 3

SNES: Tactics Ogre

NES: Recca

ps1: gran turismo 2

ps2: Gran Turismo 4

Saturn: marvel vs street fighter

dreamcast: test drive le mans

A lot of good suggestions here.

3D Narrow Escape for Vectrex is just as awesome today as it was back then.

Another that impressed me back in the day was Turbo for ColecoVision, and I think it still holds up pretty well for it time.

2 more that were graphically impressive on the PlayStation / PSone: R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 and Fear Effect. It's amazing how much they kept squeezing out of that system. I didn't discover those 2 games until well after I had a PS2 and I was still impressed by them.

I would like to mention Aladdin on the Master System.

It presents a pretty neat perspective using both animated tiles and scanline separated scrolling.

First time playing the game I was absolutely blown away by the effect :D

It's used mainly in the first and second levels, but the graphics overall is very high quality.

[VIDEO]

What I like (not really technical I guess and not including homebrews):

Atari 2600 - HERO, Pitfall II or anything by later Activision 83'/84'. Pressure Cooker, Keystone etc. Solaris looks great too

Intellivision - Demon Attack

Colecovision - BC's Quest for Tires, Smurf Rescue.

Atari 7800 - Commando

NES - Kirbys Adventure, Castlevania III, Little Nemo Dreamaster. I also thought The Immortal looked cool back then on the NES.

SNES - DK Country games, Out of this World, Prince of Persia, Megaman X Series, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, Castlevania games.

Genesis - Vectorman, Comixzone

PS1 - Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania SOTN, FF 9, Gran Turismo 2, Fear Effect series, Parasite Eve 2, Tekken 3.

Dreamcast - Soul Calibur, Shenmue and maybe Code Veronica.

PS2 - God of War 1,2, FF 12, Shadow of the Colossus, Odin Sphere

Xbox - Ninja Gaiden Black, Halo series etc.

I'm missing a lot from lack of memory but these all stand out for me.....