IGNORED

player0 over (more than) 8 bits?

Aloan

leatherFace.jpg

in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the char is bigger than the allowable width of 8 bits (8 color clocks) - but the extra are on his chainsaw.

how did they do it? when I press Alt + Z player0 becomes invisible, meaning it is its whole sprite!!?

I've seen this also on another game (I don't remember which one now)

Edited by Aloan

haha, amazing trick! :D thank youss

another easy question about multiple players on the same scan lines

I've noticed that Player0 can have 2 more clones to its right as long as there is a gap (its own width) in between!

the question is: Are 3 Player0s the max for each of the vertical scan lines it occupies? (as I understand down its feet we can create more clones) (thanks for the speeding answers)

Edited by Aloan

haha, amazing trick! :D thank youss

another easy question about multiple players on the same scan lines

I've noticed that Player0 can have 2 more clones to its right as long as there is a gap (its own width) in between!

the question is: Are 3 Player0s the max for each of the vertical scan lines it occupies? (as I understand down its feet we can create more clones) (thanks for the speeding answers)

There can be 2 clones, or 3 clones with each with fixed gap.

To get more, you would have to use that trick that Galaxian did by strobbing a register to reposition the sprite over a few space to the right right after the sprite has been drawn.

To create more clones you need to strobe RESP0 and/or RESP1. Over at MiniDig on the Tricks page you'll find a link to this explanation.

Omegamatrix has a really good handle on the RESPx trick and is using it to draw all the balloons in Circus AtariAge.

post-7074-0-94953300-1381083105.png

Which makes for a significant improvement over the original Circus Atari:

s_CircusAtari_2.png

well just as I thought I was done, along comes 2 flabbergasting games and their trickery: Congo Bongo's amazing playfield and Crossbow's different colors per scan line!!!

congo_bongo.png

In Congo Bongo as I disabled everything (the players, the missiles and the ball) and kept the playfield, and it still was left as a complex drawing and had all these colors to it! how was that done?

post-6115-0-12698900-1391104134.png

and in Crossbow, it had the cloning player trickery but on the same scanline it has different colors! how did they do that? :o

Edited by Aloan

Congo Bongo does a playfield color register change while it is being drawn across the screen.

PF is all green across the top. Then PF orange changes to dark green.

The background color is all yellow.

The ball object and the two missiles are moved right each scan line for the top of the steps, then repositioned for the next one down, one of the missiles is also skewed for the dark platform and the waterfall at the bottom right.

Crossbow just changes the player0 and player1 shape data and color data after they are drawn the first time to what they are drawn the second time on the right.

thank you for the juicy info!!! I was also looking at Sneak and peek and was marveled at what they accomplished there too! they used missiles to make the house's rooftop look high resolution :D - but what puzzles me is they used on of the players to create the smoke!!! and the pathway which strays off to the side more than the allowable 8 bits! I am guessing it is the same trick they did to make the chainsaw of the very first pic above! - Sneak and peek has some amazing graphics for the intro!