IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Micro-Expander: RAM, ROM, AY-8910 and more!

Bruce Abbott

3 hours ago, Ringwall said:

I'm unable to find the right ch376 module with the right pinout. I found the CH375B module with right pinout. is it suitable anyway or I'm forced to need the Ch376s module? that module is out of stock since a lot of time, what can be found now had the pinout completely different, also the RST pin is missed. Please let me know, I'm getting crazy with this!

Hey @MattPilz got any ideas? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 6:55 AM, SchLikA said:

I could build 2-3 more with the parts I have, I still need to further test the one I built to be sure I do not sell shitty stuff. How much is an honest price for one ? Tell me if some of you are interested.

I only can test mine on a quite tired machine, video output is very bad and I cannot be 100% sure it is fully functioning. Is there a hardware test/diagnostic cartridge or software for the Aquarius ? What other interesting ROM could I burn in the eprom ?

Do you still have any for sale? Thanks.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:24 PM, Moondog said:

Do you still have any for sale? Thanks.

Hello ! I am preparing a local retro show and have little time right now, I'll check my available parts and keep you updated middle of june if that works for you ?

On 5/10/2022 at 8:18 PM, Ringwall said:

Hi guys, please I lost myself with the CH376 module, always receive reading directory, then disk error... can you please post for me a pic of the exactly module that I need? thanks

Much the same problem I'm having, I need to review and suspect a crappy CH376 module.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished to build mine finally. I adapted the newer version of ch376 module, a bit messy but works fine, also the audio player is amazing. I'm very  happy with my aquarious now, I can build other 4 if somebody interested in help me to recover what I spent...

I would ask if somebody planned a 3d printed box for this expansion and sharing the stl files? Thanks

IMG_20220603_152849.jpg

On 6/8/2022 at 11:56 AM, Ringwall said:

Hi guys, how to load caq files? Thanks

If it is a single .CAQ (or .BAS) file you should be able to just type: RUN "file.caq" (if you omit .caq then it will attempt to load and run a .bas of that name instead).

If it is a multi-part CAQ file like many of the machine language programs that use a BASIC bootstrapper and a second file for the data... The CLOAD commands referenced by the BASIC bootstrapper need to be rewritten to LOAD "data.caq",* (where data.caq is the second CAQ file). You can do that on the Aquarius by loading the CAQ, then LIST to see the contents and re-enter the line(s) that use CLOAD.

Some programs have particular cases that need special attention when converted to USB BASIC compatible. But most are pretty straight forward.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/15/2022 at 4:45 PM, SchLikA said:

Hi all, I have two full boards to sell, 100% new & tested with the "original" CH376 that is apparently more reliable. PM if you are interested !

I'm looking for one to buy.
Do you still have yours ?

Or anyone has one to sell ?
Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Has anyone faced the problem of not being able to get any .PT3 or .ROM loaded?

In my case I made a unit using two different types of CH376S modules and I am able to get the initial menu displayed, but from there any attempt on loading a .PT3 or .ROM in a USB FAT16 or FAT32 USB drive returns a "No .PT3 file found" or "No ROM files found".

The USB led stays turned on, without any activity other than during the power up, that blinks for a fraction of a second.

AMWts8AK9amiI3mFaaoOvMw_mzlK_dzN0WR8H1Pp

Interestingly, if I go to BASIC it starts with this Error (RAM/Addressing?):

AMWts8AVQkDT_42Unb3-C8dvPBud5PB4Pm3hbQOU

And the debugger crashes often:

AMWts8B1uUx6sXfVpvLEEBCLPRo8DAa-s8DGYHX8

If I can get this solved I can make some boards. Here is a picture of the final assembly:

AMWts8BkYIuP_kt44W4Sn74Z_EFiQHCFS1p9zMY6

I was even working in updating a Thingiverse case design to be used in this MicroExpander, but if it does not work it's not worth the effort:

AMWts8BxAhjL4HMNvAV0B161_PB9CibR02LgEVER

That looks like an awesome shell. As earlier discussions in this thread indicated, when I had an S1 I had a lot of random problems with my Micro Expander. However, it ultimately worked fine when plugged into the mini expander, but would never work when plugged directly into the machine.

Also be sure to try different USB sticks. I went through FIVE of them before finding an old 8GB USB 2.0 one that has worked well. Other ones would encounter similar file read issues. Perhaps also try without the AY chip installed, that might cause conflict if you also have the AY chip in a mini expander.

I do have to say that the modern Aquarius MX has been more reliable, overall. It also eliminated an annoying "constant high pitch tone" I experience on CRTs and has an enhanced version of USB BASIC built off of the one from the Micro Expander. 

6 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

@Quickie what version Aquarius do you have? Original (S1) or S2? S1s are known to be temperamental with the Micro Expander. 

Hi,

I forgot to mention my Aquarius is an S2 version.

I would try other USB drives as suggested, but having experienced those weird problems with Basic and the debugger makes me thing there is a problem with the additional expanded RAM.

Yep, I've faced the same "No files found" time ago until I found a compatible pendrive (beware, SD adapters seems more unreliable than true pendrives).

Obviously, the weird problems seems not related the the USB drive being used. What EPROM or flash are you using?, do you trust 100% the RAM IC?

1 hour ago, jltursan said:

Yep, I've faced the same "No files found" time ago until I found a compatible pendrive (beware, SD adapters seems more unreliable than true pendrives).

Obviously, the weird problems seems not related the the USB drive being used. What EPROM or flash are you using?, do you trust 100% the RAM IC

Hi jltursan, nice to read you here too :)

The EEPROM I am using is a Winbond W27C512-45. I have been able to play other rom games that I programmed on it by switching the MicroExpander banks without hassle, so I would doubt it may be the culprit.

In regards of the RAM: I am using a Hyundai HY-62256ALJ-70. I used some of them in a Spectrum 48K low RAM replacement and worked fine, however I could replace it for a BSSI 62256 module, but that was "LV" rated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Finally I had the chance to replace the SRAM module and in this case it was the culprit of the module malfunction.

I was able to navigate on the USB drive and play .PT3 songs and play some rom games without hassle, so problem solved!

AMWts8Cr13TYpQjaR4alSPM1J-HjuJuO0ctzNabq

Edited by Quickie
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...