IGNORED

Best 486 era joystick?!?

dafivehole

dafivehole, on 24 Sept 2015 - 2:24 PM, said:

That was my favorite as well (for Win 95/98) but they weren't compatible with pre-WIN DOS (however I think that someone created DOS drivers for them)...

Thanks,

Roger

Any 15 pin game port game controller will work with many DOS games which have an option for joystick as long as you have the vintage Joyport board or older sound card with a Joyport. You would just be limited to four buttons and four potentiometers of joystick, throttle and rudder though there are drivers to add a hat switch. The neat thing is getting a serial to USB adapter and rediscovering inexpensive controllers on modern PCs.

Edited by CRTGAMER

• 1 month later...

Necro bump...

Any 15 pin game port game controller will work with many DOS games which have an option for joystick as long as you have the vintage Joyport board or older sound card with a Joyport. You would just be limited to four buttons and four potentiometers of joystick, throttle and rudder though there are drivers to add a hat switch. The neat thing is getting a serial to USB adapter and rediscovering inexpensive controllers on modern PCs.

Not neccassary... I had a Gravis Xterminator gamepad which only used Windows drivers. While it plugged in the 15-pin joystick port, it used only digital signals for input and not the analog ones PC controlers usually have. That meant to use with DOS games I had to play them through Windows 95/98 but it wouldn't work in straight DOS mode (which some games require). I had to purchase a Gravis Gamepad Pro for the DOS games, but it was a PITA to switch the controlers that plugged in the back of the PC...