IGNORED

The Great Gazoo is no more

Ksarul

I've had a little time to process. I am saddened by the great loss to our community and feel like we have a huge hole in our group here. Tony was a brilliant mind and a good guy all around.

We first traded emails back in 2009 or so and I have had major respect for him ever since. We talked pretty frequently after he fired up the second Yahoo user group and I always remember his personality and fire.

I cannot think of a fitting tribute for such a pillar of our community. I can only say that (while we were not close) Tony always seemed just part of the fabric of what we are here and I suppose I took his presence for granted, looking back on it.

I am praying for his family and close friends...

• Like 2

I've cleared it with the boss at work and with She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed at home, so I will be driving up there in the morning. I'll pass the community's condolences to the family. . .

Thank you, Jim. Safe travels. I just checked flights and they are prohibitive, so I will not be able to attend. I am not a flower-sender for these events, but I would like to do something in his memory. Do you know any particular event, activity group, or charity of which he was fond?

I'll probably not be able to attend the Faire this year, but I have one request, during the Pub Crawl, will you all raise a glass and make a toast to The Great Gazoo.

Kevan, I will be raising multiple glasses and singing many songs. In one bar in particular he will be on my mind, especially if I run into Robin (of Batman and Robin fame) there this year.

• Like 1

I just found out here about Tony and will be praying for his family this week, I meet him at the last Lima Fair that I ever attended as a vendor, and he helped me with a problem I was having with my personality card. I hope that the community(to include myself) can fill in the gap, but some of you guys will be hard to replace. It hits me maybe a little harder than some as I am just about six months younger than him. Goodbye Tony. :_(

I know what you mean with the closeness in age striking like a hammer RickyDean--I am about three months older than he was, so all three of us were within a year of each other. I am really glad that things aligned and that I will be able to say my final goodbye to him in person tomorrow--and if his family permits, he will always have a copy of his XB 2.7 Suite by his side. I built it special for him today, using parts that he and I both prepared (I used the last set of chips he burned for me before I had the setup to do so, I built the board, and I still had three labels he'd given me), so it was definitely a joint project. Somehow, it seems a fitting last gift--and one I think he'd appreciate, as one of his longtime hobby wishes was to see a physical copy of his version of Extended BASIC, something he was finally able to do just last year. Building it was a truly soothing way to remember my friend. . .

• Like 8

I am very shocked to read this news just now. Dear Tony rest in piece and the great work you did will be in our memories.

The Extended Basic 2.7 Suite was the biggest topic here at AtariAge forum and never seen someone implementing

fixes and helping so fast to get it done. Now we have a module that says "#Texas Instruments Home Computer#"

(I hope everyone has this firmware installed, if not if can be found on the forum, otherwise let me know, the modules

out in the field need to talk!).

• Like 2

The Extended Basic 2.7 Suite was the biggest topic here at AtariAge forum and never seen someone implementing

fixes and helping so fast to get it done.

Yeah, that cartridge was his baby, and it turned out to be his Legacy as well. I've not seen another modern cartridge get the amount of attention that one did, heck it even brought out the lurkers and even exposed a cell of TI-users in South America! His thread is out to something like 22 pages now.

I think I'll post a poll...

I just got back from the funeral. Tony's family was touched that the TI community had put so many memories onto the Legacy site for him--and when I told them that there was even more here, that pretty much floored them. I also took a little time to tell them how much Tony had done for the TI community--and how important his XB 2.7 Suite cartridge really was. They had no idea that there are people on six continents using it! I let them know we are dedicating an issue of the newsletter to him as well--and they definitely want to see it once it is done. I gave them the condolences from the community and I placed the last XB 2.7 cartridge for which he personally burned the chips into the coffin with him. The family thought that was a nice touch, as they did know how much that bit of programming meant to him. I ended up being one of the Pall Bearers, so there was a TIer with him all the way to his final resting place.

Rest in Peace my friend. I will miss you.

• Like 18

I am sorry to hear this sad news regarding Tony. Back in 2010 when I first got my Geneve, Tony helped me with a few different things to get it up and running. He was very patient with me, and explained things clearly... I was a Geneve newbie at the time. In fact he also sent me one of his old Seagate MFM hard disks from his "milk crate" In the garage... for free too. It was this particular drive that I used for the first year on my Geneve BBS. It seems like he has helped just about everyone in the TI/Geneve Community at some point, and he will be missed. -MH

I just got back from the funeral. Tony's family was touched that the TI community had put so many memories onto the Legacy site for him--and when I told them that there was even more here, that pretty much floored them. I also took a little time to tell them how much Tony had done for the TI community--and how important his XB 2.7 Suite cartridge really was. They had no idea that there are people on six continents using it! I let them know we are dedicating an issue of the newsletter to him as well--and they definitely want to see it once it is done. I gave them the condolences from the community and I placed the last XB 2.7 cartridge for which he personally burned the chips into the coffin with him. The family thought that was a nice touch, as they did know how much that bit of programming meant to him. I ended up being one of the Pall Bearers, so there was a TIer with him all the way to his final resting place.

Rest in Peace my friend. I will miss you.

This warmed my heart... Thank you, Jim.