IGNORED

Which games have you spent the most time playing?

BillyHW

Wow... good question!

My top two are easy;

#1 Everquest. Weeks and weeks played. I spent over 200 hours for a single camp for my epic weapon!

#2 Diablo 2. I had like four accounts all full of level 70+ characters, trying out diff builds and stuff. Yuck.

Beyond that we get into more reasonable ranges...Guessing here.

3. Final Fantasy VI

4. Super Mario 64 (I was half-assedly trying to compete in the speedrun world back in the day. I could do a 16 star run in under 20 minutes, but never really got good enough to compete)

5. Tecmo Super Bowl

6.... probably Civ 2.

I LOVE that Military Madness was mentioned on here! I had NEVER heard of the game, but it came with the Turbo Duo lot I bought back like fifteen years ago and.... I binge-played that thing. It's incredible!

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. I used to play Smash Bros almost daily, so that's probably up there too. Spelunky might crack the top 10 or so too.

I've only been keeping accurate time logs of the time I spend playing games for the last 6 months or so (for the What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2015 thread), but here's my Top 5 most played games since I started keeping track:

1. The Pinball Arcade (Android) - 33 hours 50 minutes

2. Harvest Moon 2 GBC (Game Boy Color) - 11 hours 47 minutes

3. Boggle Plus (Game Boy) - 10 hours 32 minutes

4. Resident Evil: Survivor (PlayStation) - 8 hours 21 minutes

5. Resident Evil (GameCube) - 8 hours 12 minutes

There have been some games that I played a lot more than anything on that list of games I've played over the last 6 months, but I never logged my play times for them. The ones I've spent the most time playing over the course of my entire life are probably The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the Xbox 360, which I know I've logged over 200 hours in, and Resident Evil: Director's Cut for the original PlayStation. Not sure exactly how much time I've spent playing RE: Director's Cut, but I know I've played through it over 20 times so if I had to guess I'd say somewhere in the area of 70 to 100 hours.

Edited by Jin

I have put in a lot of time playing Joust, Lady Bug, Mappy, and Dig Dug in the arcade. For consoles, I've put in 100+ hours on Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction is one that I put in countless number of hours into as well. I also like to re-visit games like Symphony of the Night, Link's Awakening, Lunar Silver Star, Suikoden, and the Ys Games.

Edited by NeoTurboManiac

Over the years (in chronological order from my childhood to adulthood)....

Tunnels of Doom (TI-99/4A)

Henhouse (TI-99/4A)

Sim City 2000 (Mac Performa)

Faxanadu (NES)

Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Morrowind (XBox)

These days I play alot of Funware games (TI) and 2600 commons... But each of the ones listed above have an easy 200 hours in a piece... Tunnels of Doom, maybe close to a thousand.

• Like 1

Over the years (in chronological order from my childhood to adulthood)....

Tunnels of Doom (TI-99/4A)

Henhouse (TI-99/4A)

Sim City 2000 (Mac Performa)

Faxanadu (NES)

Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Morrowind (XBox)

These days I play alot of Funware games (TI) and 2600 commons... But each of the ones listed above have an easy 200 hours in a piece... Tunnels of Doom, maybe close to a thousand.

All awesome games! I haven't played the TI games, but I have heard really good things about them, and I'm very happy to see someone else who appreciates Faxanadu! That has to be one of my favorite NES games and is really what I always thought that Zelda II should of been. :)

Thinking back a bit more, I'm pretty sure that over the course of my life the game I've probably logged the most time of all in is Doom. From the original DOS shareware and the full Ultimate Doom PC game, to the handheld Game Boy Advance port and the Xbox 360 digital release of Ultimate Doom, I'd be surprised if I had logged any less than a thousand hours playing all the various iterations of Doom over the years.

Faxanadu was fun! There's something about it that doesn't... click with me as much now as it did back in the day, but it's a lot of fun. Jin I don't know how you do it with Doom... I always really had fun with Doom but it was always so difficult and frustrating to me. I *eventually* beat both 1 and 2 on like, easy (not Too Young to Die but the other one) but it took me forever and I didn't beat Inferno until a remake much later.) You're a stronger man than I. "Thy Flesh Consumed" is never happening.

I was thinkin' the other day; if game creation stuff counts I've got a weird top few. If you count editing and designing my own stuff, ZZT might take the crown.

Also sometime in like 7th grade I wrote a pretty simple grindy rpg-battle game on the TI82, and over the next few years I, and some friends, kept adding new equipment, enemies, skills, etc. and just based on the raw fact that I spent so much time in school I bet that is up there.

I don't know how I left it off, but I max-prestiged in the first Modern Warfare, so that has GOT to be top 5!

Edited by jfitzenr

Top 5 would probably be:

1. Oblivion [PC] (Easily into the 300+ hours)

2. Metroid Prime [GC] (Very close to 200 hours, multiple playthroughs)

3. Skyrim [360, PC] (Getting close to the 200 hour mark on this one too)

4. The Legend of Zelda series [GBC, GBA, GC] (Well over 300 hours, but since it's multiple games it's not technically at the top)

5. Animal Crossing [GC] (Probably darn near 150-200 hours. Played my first village for about 4 years before the file corrupted)

I tend to play games in bursts, and more in winter than in summer.

Edited by TPA5

Starflight (PC), still my all-time fav. I played it on a slow PC in '87, which increased the time. :) Years later I played it all summer long, writing down all the alien dialogue and in-game text. Played the Genesis version too. And spent a good amount of time on the sequel as well.

Other contenders:

Dark Souls 2 (PS3/PS4) - my wife and I are both obsessed with this game.

Doom and Doom 2 (PC) - played a lot of randomly generated Slige levels.

Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Pick Axe Pete (O2)

DND (PC) a shareware, text-based roguelike from the 80s with ASCII "graphics"

Lightspeed (PC)

But if I combined all the time spent playing Ms. Pac-Man across all systems, ports and handhelds, that might take the top spot!