IGNORED

Question about the new Competition Pro Retro joysticks

TytaTite

So I recently ordered a reproduction Competition Pro Retro joystick (the 9-pin plug one, not the USB one), which is coming in the mail soon.

I was wondering: Do the fire buttons register as independent buttons when plugged into a system that supports multi-button controllers, like the SEGA Genesis or Atari 7800? I think I heard from somewhere that some of the original ones from the 80s may have had that feature, but I'm not sure if the new ones do as well.

Talked about this recently in another thread... but yeah, these are to be used as single button joys only. They're not even wired correctly for two button use on Amiga, etc. Very disappointing. They're a noisy clicky microswitch mess anyway. Never use them myself, but I bring them out for company to abuse since I don't care if they get ruined. :lol:

Not sure I've ever seen a 3rd party 2-button joystick made specifically for the 7800. Anyone know if any exist?

They don't. And for what it's worth, I haven't liked these controllers. I'll be curious how you find the precision/play on these.

Talked about this recently in another thread... but yeah, these are to be used as single button joys only. They're not even wired correctly for two button use on Amiga, etc. Very disappointing. They're a noisy clicky microswitch mess anyway. Never use them myself, but I bring them out for company to abuse since I don't care if they get ruined. :lol:

That's a shame. I think even the USB ones have multi-button support, which are made by the same company as the 9-pin reproduction to my understanding. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to mod them so that all 4 buttons can each function independently? With an adapter, perhaps I can make the buttons correspond to A/B/Select/Start on an NES controller.

Edited by TytaTite