IGNORED

is there sprite size minimum limit?

omf

Well after visiting gaztee at the weekend to go to a computer show, we were talking about kaboom on the 2600 and that he planned to attempt it on the jaguar (RB+) for his first project so I said I would help him in get up a basic game engine now that I have a basic understanding of how the rb+ engine worked

the game uses a couple of very skinny graphics, the bombs for example, they are 8 x 16 pixels from the original source code

I attempted to use this in the engine but have been scratching my head for about an hour then did a test with increasing them to 16 x 16

8x16 doesn't display

16x16 does display

is this correct behaver in how this works?

i can increase the sprite size i guess but do i really need to?

8_16_bomb.bmp

16_16_bomb.bmp

There are some limitations on the width. It must be divisible by 8. However, this also depends on the bit depth. The height can be anything. So you have to play with it a bit.

To quote CJ in the Astro-Storm thread;

The sprite size 'issue' is a limitation of the object processor. You can go smaller in x, but you have to increase the bit depth as (afair, from the top of my head) the image data width in bytes must be divisible by 8 (ie, a 16bpp sprite can be 8 bytes wide = 4 pixels) - you can go down to as low as 1 pixel high, the Jaguar won't care.

I gave Gaz a set of gfx to work with for that - bomb, explosion, player, enemy, backdrop. If you need smaller stuff either make it wider and adjust the collision box width and box offset in x to suit or make it 16-bit.

he couldn't find any gfx so i was doing them again from the abs and screen captures and the original source which the graphics byte section seem to be backwards