IGNORED

Bands named after video games...

fiddlepaddle

Today, I was browsing at a thrift store and found a CD by a band called "The Ataris" ("So long, Astoria"). Haven't listened to it yet, but it got me curious and I found this:

https://www.phactual.com/9-bands-named-after-video-games/

About a year ago, I also got a CD by a band called "The Atari Star" ("And Other Smaller, Brighter Worlds"). Neither seem to make any obvious claims or references to video games though.

Know of any others?

If I'm not mistaken, the band Frankie Goes to Hollywood got their name from this game:

http://gamebase64.com/game.php?id=2905

... or was it the other way around? :-D

Frankie Goes to Hollywood formed in 1980. So it's the other way around. Their big hit "Relax" came out a year before the game.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood formed in 1980. So it's the other way around. Their big hit "Relax" came out a year before the game.

Wiki sez

On the B-side to the group's first single, (Holly) Johnson explained that the group's name derived from a page from The New Yorker magazine, featuring the headline "Frankie Goes Hollywood" and a picture of Frank Sinatra, although the magazine page Johnson referred to was actually a pop art poster by Guy Peellaert.

but I remember reading that when FGTH first got airplay.

Edited by frank_c

THE ATARIS

The Ataris are a pop-punk band from Anderson, Indiana. The band takes their name from the classic video game console.

Not sure if they're still around, but I remember an indie-pop sort of band that was called "Crystal Castles". I believe it was confirmed the name came from the eponymous arcade game.

Quick poll: did anybody read the linked article except me?

:)

Edited by fiddlepaddle

0PKH4IL%20copy_zps5fk8k5vp.jpg

Is that guy smiling or grimacing?

Anyway, not a real band and probably not really fitting the topic that well, but a friend of mine recently saw the band Metric, which led to a discussion about the movie Scott Pilgrim vs The World... anyway, he didn't know that the fictional band in the movie "The Clash at Demonhead" was named after an NES game.

Anyway, not a real band and probably not really fitting the topic that well, but a friend of mine recently saw the band Metric, which led to a discussion about the movie Scott Pilgrim vs The World... anyway, he didn't know that the fictional band in the movie "The Clash at Demonhead" was named after an NES game.

I love Metric. Funnily enough I learned about them from watching SPvTW.

Your friend probably didn't get the reference because The Clash at Demonhead wasn't exactly a popular NES game, although I do remember playing it back in the day.

I love Metric. Funnily enough I learned about them from watching SPvTW.

Your friend probably didn't get the reference because The Clash at Demonhead wasn't exactly a popular NES game, although I do remember playing it back in the day.

Heh, yeah, I told him it was an NES game and he said, "It must've been a great game for them to name the band after it." I said, "Nah, I think it kinda sucked, but the name was cool." lol

I thought for sure we'd see an angry Jaguar mob.

Obvious trolling is obvious.

I actually hate it when a band names themselves after some old obscure thing, because then when you try to do a web search for the old thing, relevant results get smothered by results for the frickin' band.

Edited by ZylonBane

Today, I was browsing at a thrift store and found a CD by a band called "The Ataris" ("So long, Astoria"). Haven't listened to it yet, but it got me curious and I found this:

https://www.phactual.com/9-bands-named-after-video-games/

About a year ago, I also got a CD by a band called "The Atari Star" ("And Other Smaller, Brighter Worlds"). Neither seem to make any obvious claims or references to video games though.

Know of any others?

thats a great record. The title track is an ode to The Goonies. They also do a great pinked up cover of Don Henleys Boys of Summer on that CD.