IGNORED

Fallout 4 thread

glazball

If I wanted to build things I'd play Minecraft.

That game seems to have ancient blocky/fuzzy Doom-style graphics and I can't take it. It will be nice to have a version of that type of thing, but with graphics that are more detailed and pleasing to look at.

Fallout 4 seems to be the laziest Bethesda game so far, and that's saying somehting, because after Morrowind the Quality is constantly dropping. The stuff that was OK in oblivion, now is just so dated and crappy. People just Holding door knobs and teleporting? Tons of loading Screens in an open world game. The same crappy combat, the same bland Level designs, the same boring Walking around doing jack shit.

The Story and dialogues are nonsensical, but it doesn't really have that cheesy humour behind it. The tone is too serious, but at the same time it's so ridiculous and over the top you can't possible take it seriously.

People bash CoD for being the same crap over and over again, but Bethesda isn't only going the same route, but actually taking so much time doing a game like that?

10 years ago a huge open world game was bound to be a Buggy mess. Today the Systems have plenty Memory, this is not new Technology anymore, and open world engines have been in development for such a Long time. There's no excuse anymore.

It makes me sad to see companies that created incredible things in the past just settle for more of the same now and get praised by Gamers. Morrowind was mindblowing. Even that shit combat was worth putting up with´, because Walking around in that huge world was something amazing. Maybe other games did that before, but at least to me it was just incredible. Now what, 15 years later? They should offer more than just Walking around. And the landscape and ar design is just WAY inferior to morrowind. So bland and boring...

Really sad.

I'm at level 9 now. Have a lot of hours in this game. I'm enjoying the game, but have yet to die. (I did come close when the entire town of Covenant attacked me for disrupting their plot to identify synths) The games does seem easier, although since these games always have a difficulty setting, it's really not something I'd call an issue.

The game itself doesn't seem like a huge update from the last game. A few things I like better, a few things I don't like as well. But all in all it just seems like a minor update to an older game. So many things are repeated (factions, characters, creatures, songs) it's almost more like a reboot of Fallout 3 than a full blown sequel. I don't dislike it (I'm the guy that has played so many Koi and Lego games I've lost count, every one an almost direct copy of the previous with minor graphic updates) , but at that same time I can see how many would find it off putting. This title should have been mind blowing, but instead is just a bit too lazy. It's almost a theme this generation. Look at the recent Rock Band release, another game where the graphics were updated and nothing else. Why aren't developer taking advantage of these new systems?

Damn once again this is why I should have bought the PC version...actually considering selling my console copy right now

some handy mods:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-13-fallout-4-mods-are-already-changing-the-game-in-cool-ways

Is there any word about how mods are coming to the Xbox One version. I know they will be available for the PS4 version down the way. Are they going to be limited in anyway (some sort of screening process) or apply at your own risk as with the PC version?

If someone releases a mod where radiation behaves like before I'll be very happy. I'm working towards that Ghoulish perk so it probably won't matter. Maybe a mod where it displays how many experience points you need to level up instead of just a bar. Or the ability to heal limbs individually like before. Anyways, I put in four more hours and I'm enjoying it a little more. For what it is, it's a fun game if you don't compare it too much to previous games.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 1

Is there any word about how mods are coming to the Xbox One version. I know they will be available for the PS4 version down the way. Are they going to be limited in anyway (some sort of screening process) or apply at your own risk as with the PC version?

I read somewhere it will be simple like the Steam Workshop for Skyrim for both consoles. A menu, click the mod you want and it installs automatically and another button to click and remove it if you dont want it anymore. They will release it first on Xbox One since Microsoft is better at PC >> Console integration and then I'm sure they will emulate that on PS4. Hopefully its simple and easy but I have a feeling not ALL the mods will be available on console.....maybe just "certified" ones or something like that.

Its a fun game. I like it. For me it's like the Ultima series or any other series I really enjoy, I have favorites....but I enjoy them all.

FInaly had some serious time to sink into the game today, and I like it. It's very similar to Fallout 3/New Vegas with some Skyrim elements thrown in and better graphics. I'm at level 6 right now. I like some of the changes, dislike some of the other ones, but all in all it's fun. if you liked Fallout 3/NV you'll enjoy this. Right now I'm putting it below NV but above Fallout 3. The crafting system can be a major time sink, as well as the settlements that you do for the Minutemen.

Can you shoot guns/grenades out of an enemy's hand? In VATS it's not showing up and I'm not sure if I need a perk or be at a higher level. I used to shoot grenades in enemy's hands in the last two games and was always satisfying. Sucks big time if they took it out. Besides the few steps back in some places and questionable design choices, I've been enjoying the game more.

I discovered sniping, which is WAY better than in F3/NV. Still seems kinda easy...although head south for a while and you'll quickly die. The main mechanic for difficulty of encounter seems to be numbers...a single ghoul, or even 2 or 3, is pretty easy, but 9 is a different matter. Then there are actual mini-bosses too, with the littel deaths head or star next to their name. Synths are supposed to be very hard, too, but I haven't run into any yet.

Edited by danwinslow

Been enjoying the game highly. Got to level 10 this weekend and I'm totally sucked in. I'm playing on PS4 and it's running perfectly fine, but I spoke to someone at work who mentioned he was playing it on PC and it crashes for him often forcing him to save every 5 minutes. That has to be frustrating.

To those of you saying it's too easy and you aren't dying - well I haven't been having that problem! If I see a group of enemies in the distance, I still save before approaching. There's still the random booby trap that catches me unaware at times, not to mention just sometimes getting swarmed with too many enemies. I do agree that certain things do seem a little easier, but I suspect it's because many of us have played 3 and NV and know how things work more or less. One thing I'm still trying to get used to is no longer repairing weapons. Was that gone from NV? I can't remember.

All in all, I'm really enjoying it and I have no complaints. It's just what I was hoping for. Will likely be my game of the year.

I'm at level 17 about to hit 18. Funny thing is, I have barely done any actual quests. I did start Minutemen and the Brotherhood of Steel enough to actually join, and then did a handful of quests for each, but I've mainly been exploring and building little communities around the map. Have around 10 now. Anyways, thought I'd share this link. Game breaking bug apparently has been discovered, although it didn't look like they nailed down exactly what causes it. I think I'll stick to just tooling around and exploring until they get all the bugs ironed out.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/game-breaking-fallout-4-bug-192343262

Found out you can snap out of cover if you're close enough to the corner of the wall by holding the aim button like in Wolfenstein The New Order. Pretty nice feature. Had a couple glitches happen. One was I kept falling through the ground, but it fixed itself. The other is where the pipboy and weapon don't show up on screen. Fixed that by going to a crafting station.

Edited by xenomorpher

I'm at level 50 now! Got me a cool achievement to prove it, although I guess it's not a huge deal since the game has no level cap. I wonder, is there a reach level 100 achievement!!?

Anyways, yeah I'd say I'm hooked. Loving the return to Fallout land. A real time suck is happening at the house, the likes that haven't been seen for a long time! Highly recommend this game if you're a fan of previous Fallout games. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I'm at level 50 now! Got me a cool achievement to prove it, although I guess it's not a huge deal since the game has no level cap. I wonder, is there a reach level 100 achievement!!?

Anyways, yeah I'd say I'm hooked. Loving the return to Fallout land. A real time suck is happening at the house, the likes that haven't been seen for a long time! Highly recommend this game if you're a fan of previous Fallout games. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good to know that you aren't sick of it. I plan to play this game for so long that I'll become permanently attached to my chair.

I'm at level 50 now! Got me a cool achievement to prove it, although I guess it's not a huge deal since the game has no level cap.

What sort of build you playing? I'm aiming for Rogue-like...trying to get my crit\sneak attacks 5x etc so I can take out things with only a couple of shots. Shooting legs helps for me against melee attackers and I'm slowly not needing to run-away as often to clear out enemies. With no level cap this is a huge time-sink yes lol.

• Like 1

What sort of build you playing?

I started out high in Intelligence and Perception so I'd be able to Hack and Lockpick quickly. I mainly use one handed guns. I mostly go for headshots or on bigger animals legs shots to cripple. My favorite is a .44. With it I can take down a Deathclaw now in about 4-6 shots depending if I can get off a critical hit.

I started out high in Intelligence and Perception so I'd be able to Hack and Lockpick quickly. I mainly use one handed guns. I mostly go for headshots or on bigger animals legs shots to cripple. My favorite is a .44. With it I can take down a Deathclaw now in about 4-6 shots depending if I can get off a critical hit.

I'm pretty much sticking everything in lockpick, sneak, Gunslinger (I like hand guns too) and Ninja\Action Boy. Trying to get to a point like in Skyrim where I'm completely invisible with some high crits.

I'm spending way too much time minecrafting. Need to stop with the settlements and do some other stuff. Also, does the Brotherhood seem like a bunch of jerks? I keep stealing from them. lol.

Good interview with Howard:

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/todd-howard-profile/?mbid=social_fb

Howard had fooled with a Star Trek game and “a couple others” on the TRS-80, Tandy’s 1977 personal desktop, lovingly (or not) referred to as the “trash eighty.” But when he thinks of the Apple II, he says it’s of Ultima, the beloved open-world fantasy series.

“I think if someone has a gaming obsession, Ultima became mine,” says Howard. “I would say no other series ingrained itself in how I want to make games or what I want them to be more than Ultima did.”

:D :D