IGNORED

Would you back a second RVGS crowdfunding campaign?

Amstari

Would you back a second RVGS crowdfunding campaign?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back a second RVGS crowdfunding campaign?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Honestly no, I wouldn't back it--however I'd like to think I'd at least briefly consider buying it as a finished product.

Sure, the first one was 50% incompetence, 30% implying misleading information, and 20% hostility toward people (specifically Atariage) for seeing through it. I also expect the next one to be the same, and if so, I'll bag on it all day long while its being built. But if RVGS2 is actually released (indeed, if RVGS1 were released) I would at least look at the games, capabilities and price before making a decision on buying. I'd consider it.

I can imagine a few extremely unlikely (IMO) scenarios where I'd actually buy such a device, but given this experience, I cannot imagine me backing anything. Backing relies heavily on reputation, and RVGS has earned a poor one.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

On a larger (non portable) console, I'd appreciate media that was a little bigger than ie what PS Vita and 3DS use because I'm a clumsy oaf and I'm less likely to drop and lose something the size of a credit card (and yes, I've dropped more than one my 3DS games down the floor vents in my house).

I've found several modules in a hoopty we purchased this spring. I think it was regular DS stuff. So yes bigger media is a plus. But I don't think we'll be seeing "big-media" anytime soon. The temptation to cost-cut away embiggening plastic is too great in today's hypersensitive cost-conscious market. Oftentimes a price variance of just $5 on a $200 item is enough to make a consumer choose one over the other.

And if a company can trim $0.10 worth of composite plastic off a product which they produce 100,000 of, then they profit an extra ten-thousand dollars! What can YOU do with 10 grand?

I don't put my money in hopes and dreams. If and when a viable product does materialize at a reasonable price point then I may be interested but it depends on what they actually do with the machine. If they stick with it just being a cartridge version of a steam box then no, if it does FPGA of older systems then maybe but at this point I'm more interested in what Kevtris may do.

• Like 3

I don't put my money in hopes and dreams. If and when a viable product does materialize at a reasonable price point then I may be interested but it depends on what they actually do with the machine. If they stick with it just being a cartridge version of a steam box then no, if it does FPGA of older systems then maybe but at this point I'm more interested in what Kevtris may do.

At this point, I'm willing to pave kevtris' driveway in gold (metaphorically, meaning backing--I'm not scrooge mcduck here). As I said, it's all about reputation, and some people just have one.

Kevtris owns 'the dream' right now. He has the way to play my gamegear games in a way that they don't suck, and as importantly, don't lag. Indeed also, my watara supervision games which I own but would very much like to actually play. I think I might have actually have attempted to play those once, but couldn't see the screen to be sure.

I've actually been guilty of stating that the only 'winner' of the korean war was alan alda--likewise, the only 'winner' of RVGS was kevtris. I don't blame him for it, but it's true. He rocks. He's always rocked, but now possibly in a new way.

[/drunkposting]

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

Kevtris owns 'the dream' right now.

in my opinion, in more than one way... the possibilities of such a system are interesting. aside from being a hardware-based emulation machine and having potential as a devkit for homebrews, a few additions and tweaks could turn the same hardware into a chiptune creation workstation, a pinball machine, or even an arcade machine for modern-retro games. (okay, maybe the last two are a little "retro land", but why not :P)

• Like 1

At this point, I'm willing to pave kevtris' driveway in gold (metaphorically, meaning backing--I'm not scrooge mcduck here).

Kevtris owns 'the dream' right now.

--likewise, the only 'winner' of RVGS was kevtris.

[/drunkposting]

Nah. You are not drunk enough yet. Your post still speaks with the voice of reason.

• Like 2

My 360 red ringed and I lost games because the Xbox store no longer had them available for download.

The rest of your post mostly rings true, although I wanted to correct you on this. You can re-download every single thing you have purchased on the XBOX 360. It is not done through the store/marketplace however, so if you are looking there you will be disappointed. You have to go into your download history. I forgot where it's located on the dashboard or system settings, but this is how you retrieve and re-download games on the 360 that are no longer available on the marketplace. Owning multiple 360 systems over the years, I have had to do this multiple times.

• Like 4

The rest of your post mostly rings true, although I wanted to correct you on this. You can re-download every single thing you have purchased on the XBOX 360. It is not done through the store/marketplace however, so if you are looking there you will be disappointed. You have to go into your download history. I forgot where it's located on the dashboard or system settings, but this is how you retrieve and re-download games on the 360 that are no longer available on the marketplace. Owning multiple 360 systems over the years, I have had to do this multiple times.

Thanks! I'm gonna give this a try on the weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm gonna give this a try on the weekend.

Cool! I should clarify, you do need to be logged into the XBOX Live account you originally purchased them with in order to get them back. Also, the download history method is the only way you can re-download games that have been de-listed from the store (for me, for instance, TMNT or Double Dragon). You can still re-download games from the marketplace/store listing if they are still listed there.

More storage space for one, I don't think 8 MiB is quite going to cut it for a "new" system.

Something that uses flash memory or partial ROM partial flash to accept updates, game saves, etc. directly to the card

I think I would enjoy re-purposing these as cartridge like discs for retro video games:

FZ-MD.jpg

You have your disc in a "cartridge" that you could print your own label on, make a small manual in place of the album cover, and it all in a CD type case similar to the size of a cassette case. They also come in varieties of transparent colors for those homebrews that need that extra special something to the look of them. I don't think they are just a perfect candidate for retro games but DVDs and Blurays should have ended up this way to keep the CDs safe in the "cartridge" from scratches. Anyway, since it is a dead format(like the Jaguar), since they look cool enough to be a new retro casing worth collecting, and since they can easily be found on eBay(sometimes new) then Mini Disc could be used in something like a new RVGS. Just buying up enough on eBay for a run of homebrew games and printing out the new labels might not be any more complicating than having to turn Pac-Man carts into Atari Age carts. And if used in a new RVGS it could also double as using its original purpose of playing music in the normal way they do and/or having the game and its music sound track on the same disc.

Minidisc%252520Sony%252520colors%252520%

• Like 2

They should not use Unity and GameMaker. Those tools are responsible for the current glut of bullshit in the indie scene.

Don't blame the toolmaker for the builder's sloppy craftsmanship. A lot of great games have been developed on Unity.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

I'm thinking we've probably seen the last of RVGS, regardless of what Mike said in his IGG cancellation announcement. I think he just said "we'll be back" so as to not give the detractors the satisfaction of his outright surrender.

Yes. It was about the only thing they could have said under the circumstances.

The RVGS project, as currently defined (and to the extent that it ever was defined), really needs to be scrapped and redone from scratch if it is ever to have the chance to become a real product. They may be able to use those Jaguar shells, but that's about all that should survive from this iteration. It's an open question whether Mike can regroup and pull that off, but if he can do it, so can someone else whose reputation isn't as badly damaged. If Mike really wants to see the RVGS happen, he may have no choice but to step aside and let someone else take it over. There are plenty of people who won't support that project in any form as long as he's at the helm.

If Mike really wants to see the RVGS happen, he may have no choice but to step aside and let someone else take it over. There are plenty of people who won't support that project in any form as long as he's at the helm.

This 1000x. I nominate Kevtris! :D

He could create a kick ass tile engine based around 65c816 or 68K processor to run on his FPGA and clock it to hell. Create a simple devkit for the new homebrew core that runs on his homebrew core and let people write original homebrew games for the Kevtris console, in addition to every other system it emulates. No ARM required! 8)

Edited by stardust4ever

After looking around the web, it seems to be that overall people don't want cartridges. If it's indie they want Android or PC. Most cited reasons why - no physical hassle and you get updates.

And your device/game is bricked/lost when the cloud server goes offline.

Most of the younger people think that's ok. I don't know when they turn into collectards and stuff, but it sure isn't in their teens or even 20's. Some do - and they're the rare exception and insignificant part of the market. A part of the market the big-name publishers don't really care about. Publishers let them fall off the radar when they age and get into collecting. And there is plenty of stuff on ebay to satisfy that segment anyways.