IGNORED

5.25 drives for the ST's

I have some experiences with 5.25 inch floppy drives attached on ST. And not really good ones. First problem is step rate of 12mS required. That's possible with some SW. Bigger problem is higher load of some lines on floppy connector - what causes unreliable work, and in worse case damage of PSG chip in Atari. I addes some line amplifiers because of that.

I'm sure that Atari never made any 5.25 drives for ST.

I have some experiences with 5.25 inch floppy drives attached on ST. And not really good ones. First problem is step rate of 12mS required. That's possible with some SW. Bigger problem is higher load of some lines on floppy connector - what causes unreliable work, and in worse case damage of PSG chip in Atari. I addes some line amplifiers because of that.

I'm sure that Atari never made any 5.25 drives for ST.

By, any chance was one the drives you used was an I.B. drive? I did some more digging and found that Atari did make a 5.25 drive (PC551) but it was for PC's that they made it is compatible with the ST, like you said you need SW to run it with the ST.

http://www.atari-wiki.com/?title=Floppy_Disk_Drives

Edited by walter_J64bit

It was couple of regular drives, what people had in their PCs (not Atari PCs). I would not take what Wiki claims for 100% true. Main thing is that Atari self never manufactured drives. They just took it from some manufacturer - and in those time Japanese were most spread, and added power + case, cable. You risk damage in your Atari ST if connect 5.25 floppy drive.